Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What does this mean?

Just saw this in a freecycle ad:

"Trampoline (10 foot diameter) with safety net - needs cleaning, one netting pole has telescoped so needs pulling out of itself."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"James Wilkinson" Wrote in message:
Just saw this in a freecycle ad:

"Trampoline (10 foot diameter) with safety net - needs cleaning, one netting pole has telescoped so needs pulling out of itself."

Sounds to me like one of the vertical poles that support a safety
net around the perimeter of a circular trampoline has collapsed
i.e. they are telescopic and one has retracted.
Phil
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 18/06/2016 23:07, James Wilkinson wrote:
Just saw this in a freecycle ad:

"Trampoline (10 foot diameter) with safety net - needs cleaning, one
netting pole has telescoped so needs pulling out of itself."

It means: It's not worth fettling to stick on ebay. It's too big for me
to cart to the dump easily.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

GB Wrote in message:
On 18/06/2016 23:07, James Wilkinson wrote:
Just saw this in a freecycle ad:

"Trampoline (10 foot diameter) with safety net - needs cleaning, one
netting pole has telescoped so needs pulling out of itself."

It means: It's not worth fettling to stick on ebay. It's too big for me
to cart to the dump easily.

+1
:-)
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 18 Jun 2016 23:39:34 +0100, GB wrote:

On 18/06/2016 23:07, James Wilkinson wrote:
Just saw this in a freecycle ad:

"Trampoline (10 foot diameter) with safety net - needs cleaning, one
netting pole has telescoped so needs pulling out of itself."

It means: It's not worth fettling to stick on ebay. It's too big for me
to cart to the dump easily.

I tried to look up the word fettling, and Opera directed me to fettling.com, something to do with West Yorkshire foundries :-)

--
Excuse me sir, are you playing the bagpipes or deflating your cat?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 18 Jun 2016 23:39:34 +0100, GB wrote:

On 18/06/2016 23:07, James Wilkinson wrote:
Just saw this in a freecycle ad:

"Trampoline (10 foot diameter) with safety net - needs cleaning, one
netting pole has telescoped so needs pulling out of itself."

It means: It's not worth fettling to stick on ebay. It's too big for me
to cart to the dump easily.

You can get good stuff on freecycle, like my 6 month old dishwasher!

--
Women claim that they never pursue a man. Well, by the same token, a mousetrap never pursues a mouse, but the end result is
the same.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 18 Jun 2016 23:16:48 +0100, TheChief wrote:

"James Wilkinson" Wrote in message:
Just saw this in a freecycle ad:

"Trampoline (10 foot diameter) with safety net - needs cleaning, one netting pole has telescoped so needs pulling out of itself."

Sounds to me like one of the vertical poles that support a safety
net around the perimeter of a circular trampoline has collapsed
i.e. they are telescopic and one has retracted.

I've never heard of or thought about "telescoping" meaning retracted, only the exact opposite. Isn't there another word for the opposite of telescoped?

--
Negligent (adj.), describes a condition in which you absentmindedly answer the door in your nightgown.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/06/2016 00:48, James Wilkinson wrote:

I tried to look up the word fettling, and Opera directed me to
fettling.com, something to do with West Yorkshire foundries :-)

I'm sorry but why would you look up such a basic well-known word?

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright wrote
James Wilkinson wrote

I tried to look up the word fettling, and Opera directed me to
fettling.com, something to do with West Yorkshire foundries :-)

I'm sorry but why would you look up such a basic well-known word?

Because he is an ignorant streaker.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 19 June 2016 00:48:41 UTC+1, James Wilkinson wrote:
On Sat, 18 Jun 2016 23:39:34 +0100, GB wrote:

On 18/06/2016 23:07, James Wilkinson wrote:
Just saw this in a freecycle ad:

"Trampoline (10 foot diameter) with safety net - needs cleaning, one
netting pole has telescoped so needs pulling out of itself."

It means: It's not worth fettling to stick on ebay. It's too big for me
to cart to the dump easily.

I tried to look up the word fettling, and Opera directed me to fettling.com, something to do with West Yorkshire foundries :-)

The word is commonly used to mean cleaning/minor repairs in Yorkshire.

A "fettler" is a tradesperson who cleans up castings after they have been turned out of the mould.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"GB" wrote in message
On 18/06/2016 23:07, James Wilkinson wrote:
Just saw this in a freecycle ad:

"Trampoline (10 foot diameter) with safety net - needs cleaning, one
netting pole has telescoped so needs pulling out of itself."

It means: It's not worth fettling to stick on ebay.

Some people (including me) have a resistance to the aggravation of selling
something to even, by other's standards, quite large values.

I've freecycled stuff with a value of about 50 quid.

I don't need 50 quid enough to go though all the aggro.

Just because some people are so poor that they can make a "living" selling
empty jam jars on eBay at 5p a time doesn't mean that we all want to do it.

It's too big for me to cart to the dump easily.

That's true

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
On 19/06/2016 00:48, James Wilkinson wrote:

I tried to look up the word fettling, and Opera directed me to
fettling.com, something to do with West Yorkshire foundries :-)

I'm sorry but why would you look up such a basic well-known word?

because you used it in a sense that was not in keeping with its well know
meaning

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry Wrote in message:
On Sunday, 19 June 2016 00:48:41 UTC+1, James Wilkinson wrote:
On Sat, 18 Jun 2016 23:39:34 +0100, GB wrote:

On 18/06/2016 23:07, James Wilkinson wrote:
Just saw this in a freecycle ad:

"Trampoline (10 foot diameter) with safety net - needs cleaning, one
netting pole has telescoped so needs pulling out of itself."

It means: It's not worth fettling to stick on ebay. It's too big for me
to cart to the dump easily.

I tried to look up the word fettling, and Opera directed me to fettling.com, something to do with West Yorkshire foundries :-)

The word is commonly used to mean cleaning/minor repairs in Yorkshire.

A "fettler" is a tradesperson who cleans up castings after they have been turned out of the mould.

We used to call this activity ragging. Generally removing sharp
edges from machinings and castings.

We being Simon Rosedowns in Hull.

Phil
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tim..." Wrote in message:

"GB" wrote in message
On 18/06/2016 23:07, James Wilkinson wrote:
Just saw this in a freecycle ad:

"Trampoline (10 foot diameter) with safety net - needs cleaning, one
netting pole has telescoped so needs pulling out of itself."

It means: It's not worth fettling to stick on ebay.

Some people (including me) have a resistance to the aggravation of selling
something to even, by other's standards, quite large values.

I've freecycled stuff with a value of about 50 quid.

I don't need 50 quid enough to go though all the aggro.

Just because some people are so poor that they can make a "living" selling
empty jam jars on eBay at 5p a time doesn't mean that we all want to do it.

It's too big for me to cart to the dump easily.

That's true

tim

Does the free cycling of goods not involve pretty much the same
process as on-line selling?

Why is it any less aggro?

Phil

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"TheChief" wrote in message
"tim..." Wrote in message:

"GB" wrote in message
[...]

No

I don't have to warp up the item take it to the PO pay for postage etc

I don't have to deal with arguments over it being not as described when the
buyer wants to stiff me for the cash

etc

I post something on freecycle

and if you "win" the item, you collect at my convenience or it goes to the
next person

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"James Wilkinson" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 18 Jun 2016 23:39:34 +0100, GB wrote:

On 18/06/2016 23:07, James Wilkinson wrote:
Just saw this in a freecycle ad:

"Trampoline (10 foot diameter) with safety net - needs cleaning, one
netting pole has telescoped so needs pulling out of itself."

It means: It's not worth fettling to stick on ebay. It's too big for me
to cart to the dump easily.

You can get good stuff on freecycle, like my 6 month old dishwasher!

Na - it 12 months to get a divorce

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 19/06/2016 09:25, tim... wrote:

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
On 19/06/2016 00:48, James Wilkinson wrote:

I tried to look up the word fettling, and Opera directed me to
fettling.com, something to do with West Yorkshire foundries :-)

I'm sorry but why would you look up such a basic well-known word?

because you used it in a sense that was not in keeping with its well
know meaning

tim

Oh bugger, that's me, then. I just thought fettling something meant to
clean it up and put it in working order.

In fact, that's what the OED says - see definition 1.1 he
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/de...english/fettle

However, it's Northern English, and not everyone has been brought up on
a diet of Fred Dibnah.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 19/06/2016 10:27, tim... wrote:

"TheChief" wrote in message
"tim..." Wrote in message:

"GB" wrote in message
[...]

The number of people who just don't turn up....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"GB" wrote in message
On 19/06/2016 10:27, tim... wrote:

"TheChief" wrote in message
"tim..." Wrote in message:

"GB" wrote in message
[...]

as I will have made no special arrangements, costs me nothing

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/06/16 00:48, James Wilkinson wrote:
On Sat, 18 Jun 2016 23:39:34 +0100, GB wrote:

On 18/06/2016 23:07, James Wilkinson wrote:
Just saw this in a freecycle ad:

"Trampoline (10 foot diameter) with safety net - needs cleaning, one
netting pole has telescoped so needs pulling out of itself."

It means: It's not worth fettling to stick on ebay. It's too big for me
to cart to the dump easily.

I tried to look up the word fettling, and Opera directed me to
fettling.com, something to do with West Yorkshire foundries :-)

Its odd, the dictionaries dont seem to have caught up with modern usage.
Originally it was trimming off clay mould lines or mould lines on
casting, but its come to mean any sort of 'improvement by manual labour'
So parts that don't quite fit get 'fettled'; with e.g. a file till they
do..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/06/16 10:36, GB wrote:
On 19/06/2016 09:25, tim... wrote:

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
On 19/06/2016 00:48, James Wilkinson wrote:

I tried to look up the word fettling, and Opera directed me to
fettling.com, something to do with West Yorkshire foundries :-)

I'm sorry but why would you look up such a basic well-known word?

because you used it in a sense that was not in keeping with its well
know meaning

tim

Oh bugger, that's me, then. I just thought fettling something meant to
clean it up and put it in working order.

In fact, that's what the OED says - see definition 1.1 he
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/de...english/fettle

However, it's Northern English, and not everyone has been brought up on
a diet of Fred Dibnah.

Odd, cos I am anything but Northern, and its well known to me.

Maybe the engineering bit is the key. Engineers use it a lot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/06/2016 07:03, harry wrote:
On Sunday, 19 June 2016 00:48:41 UTC+1, James Wilkinson wrote:
On Sat, 18 Jun 2016 23:39:34 +0100, GB wrote:

On 18/06/2016 23:07, James Wilkinson wrote:
Just saw this in a freecycle ad:

"Trampoline (10 foot diameter) with safety net - needs cleaning, one
netting pole has telescoped so needs pulling out of itself."

It means: It's not worth fettling to stick on ebay. It's too big for me
to cart to the dump easily.

I tried to look up the word fettling, and Opera directed me to fettling.com, something to do with West Yorkshire foundries :-)

The word is commonly used to mean cleaning/minor repairs in Yorkshire.

A "fettler" is a tradesperson who cleans up castings after they have been turned out of the mould.

Same here in Lancashire. Now where is that ******* file? Yes, that word
is used deliberately, as many will know.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/06/2016 01:02, James Wilkinson wrote:
On Sat, 18 Jun 2016 23:16:48 +0100, TheChief wrote:

"James Wilkinson" Wrote in message:
Just saw this in a freecycle ad:

"Trampoline (10 foot diameter) with safety net - needs cleaning, one
netting pole has telescoped so needs pulling out of itself."

Sounds to me like one of the vertical poles that support a safety
net around the perimeter of a circular trampoline has collapsed
i.e. they are telescopic and one has retracted.

I've never heard of or thought about "telescoping" meaning retracted,
only the exact opposite. Isn't there another word for the opposite of
telescoped?

Telescopes move both in and out, so the word fits for both.

I am more used to it in the retracting sense. For instance, it is
commonly used about vehicles in accidents - i.e. where in a railway
accident, one carriage smashes through the end of another.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 19 Jun 2016 10:36:56 +0100, GB
wrote:
snip

Oh bugger, that's me, then. I just thought fettling something meant to
clean it up and put it in working order.

I'd say it can (as in your original), in a slightly looser usage.

I'd say the more typical usage is to 'adjust, tune or maintain', as in
'these old motorbikes take a bit of fettling'.

It's funny I fixed my mates sons goalposts (physical not life plan
G) because the plastic, tubular diagonal support seemed to be
missing a joining piece. It turned out the 'joining piece' was a piece
of tube that slid inside the two pieces that made up the support and
the joint had slid down entirely into one of them.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/06/16 12:24, Graham. wrote:
"James Wilkinson" Wrote in message:
On Sat, 18 Jun 2016 23:39:34 +0100, GB wrote:

On 18/06/2016 23:07, James Wilkinson wrote:
Just saw this in a freecycle ad:

"Trampoline (10 foot diameter) with safety net - needs cleaning, one
netting pole has telescoped so needs pulling out of itself."

It means: It's not worth fettling to stick on ebay. It's too big for me
to cart to the dump easily.

I tried to look up the word fettling, and Opera directed me to fettling.com, something to do with West Yorkshire foundries :-)

--
Excuse me sir, are you playing the bagpipes or deflating your cat?

https://youtu.be/FIbM6c7DW_U

Su ****ing perb!

Josef Stalin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 19 Jun 2016 00:49:03 +0100, "James Wilkinson"
wrote:

On Sat, 18 Jun 2016 23:39:34 +0100, GB wrote:

On 18/06/2016 23:07, James Wilkinson wrote:
Just saw this in a freecycle ad:

"Trampoline (10 foot diameter) with safety net - needs cleaning, one
netting pole has telescoped so needs pulling out of itself."

It means: It's not worth fettling to stick on ebay. It's too big for me
to cart to the dump easily.

You can get good stuff on freecycle, like my 6 month old dishwasher!

Or the Dyson cylinder that just needed a new plug (broken cable near
the moulded plug) or the 13 month old (and as new looking) washing
machine that did need some imagination to repair but we did and it
lasted nearly 8 years. ;-)

We are also enjoying a very comfortable and again 'as new looking' 3
seater leather settee. [1]

Cheers, T i m

[1] It looks like new because they didn't have stinking cats ripping
everything up. ;-)

p.s. On that, one of our friends is on callout to the local Council to
do things like ... removing dead animals from the highway or pavement
and he got called out the other evening to somewhere quite near his
house to collect a dead cat someone had reported.

It turns out it was the 'missing cat' of a neighbour and their third
over a fairly short period. Apparently the first two were run over by
the same delivery lorry delivering to their house (on two different
occasions) and the third by causes unknown. Hopefully they will have
learned a lesson by this and not replacing it with something else that
could eventually become someone else's problem. ;-(

There should be a pet owners charter (that covers *all* pets) and that
is 'All pets must be kept under control at all times'. Pets / children
etc ... ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 19/06/2016 10:59, tim... wrote:

The number of people who just don't turn up....

as I will have made no special arrangements, costs me nothing

I had this with MIL's furniture after she died. People would make
appointments, and I'd go round to her house to show them stuff. I'd hang
around, and they wouldn't show. Or they would show, but wouldn't like
it. Easily one to two hours wasted each time. Charities, rather than
freecycle.

In the end, I hired a van and took it all to the dump. A house full of
perfectly serviceable furniture.

Annoyingly, I found a couple of food processors without lids. So I threw
those away. A week later, I found the lids in a completely different
cupboard. She wasn't very logical towards the end.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"James Wilkinson" Wrote in message:
On Sat, 18 Jun 2016 23:39:34 +0100, GB wrote:

On 18/06/2016 23:07, James Wilkinson wrote:
Just saw this in a freecycle ad:

"Trampoline (10 foot diameter) with safety net - needs cleaning, one
netting pole has telescoped so needs pulling out of itself."

It means: It's not worth fettling to stick on ebay. It's too big for me
to cart to the dump easily.

I tried to look up the word fettling, and Opera directed me to fettling.com, something to do with West Yorkshire foundries :-)

--
Excuse me sir, are you playing the bagpipes or deflating your cat?

https://youtu.be/FIbM6c7DW_U

--

%Profound_observation%

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well, one assumes that the adjustable pole has, erm maladjusted and got
stuck?
Do you know that these devices cause almost as many people to go to a/I as
glossy magazines left on floors?

Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"James Wilkinson" wrote in message
news
Just saw this in a freecycle ad:

"Trampoline (10 foot diameter) with safety net - needs cleaning, one
netting pole has telescoped so needs pulling out of itself."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tim... wrote:
It means: It's not worth fettling to stick on ebay.

Some people (including me) have a resistance to the aggravation of
selling something to even, by other's standards, quite large values.

I've freecycled stuff with a value of about 50 quid.

I don't need 50 quid enough to go though all the aggro.

It's very little aggro *selling* on Ebay - and can give some fun as
regards what it might make.

The aggro is more packing it up and sending it. Especially if large.

--
*One tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
TheChief wrote:
Does the free cycling of goods not involve pretty much the same
process as on-line selling?

Why is it any less aggro?

Because it is a local thing, and the item collected. Packing large items
for the 'post' is not an easy job for most casual sellers.

--
*War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
GB wrote:
I had this with MIL's furniture after she died. People would make
appointments, and I'd go round to her house to show them stuff. I'd hang
around, and they wouldn't show. Or they would show, but wouldn't like
it. Easily one to two hours wasted each time. Charities, rather than
freecycle.

Trick with Freecycle is to do it all by email. Those who can be bothered
to arrange things by email always turn up here.

Those who want to do everything by phone are the ones who tend to break
appointments. In my limited experience.

--
*Speak softly and carry a cellular phone *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 19 June 2016 00:49:13 UTC+1, James Wilkinson wrote:

You can get good stuff on freecycle, like my 6 month old dishwasher!

Bloody hell she's not old enough to go to nursery school, how the bloody hell did you get her washing dishes?

Bet she breaks loads.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6/19/2016 12:48 AM, James Wilkinson wrote:
On Sat, 18 Jun 2016 23:39:34 +0100, GB wrote:

On 18/06/2016 23:07, James Wilkinson wrote:
Just saw this in a freecycle ad:

"Trampoline (10 foot diameter) with safety net - needs cleaning, one
netting pole has telescoped so needs pulling out of itself."

It means: It's not worth fettling to stick on ebay. It's too big for me
to cart to the dump easily.

I tried to look up the word fettling, and Opera directed me to
fettling.com, something to do with West Yorkshire foundries :-)

I thought you were going to say it took you somewhere *completely*
different.

It is a fairly well known word in the foundry and workshop context, but
I think it is best known in the North of England.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheChief a écrit :
Does the free cycling of goods not involve pretty much the same
process as on-line selling?

In my experience, as much and maybe more agro. They say they want it,
then that is the last you hear from them. There is slightly more
commitment where some money is involved.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/06/16 15:28, newshound wrote:
On 6/19/2016 12:48 AM, James Wilkinson wrote:
On Sat, 18 Jun 2016 23:39:34 +0100, GB wrote:

On 18/06/2016 23:07, James Wilkinson wrote:
Just saw this in a freecycle ad:

"Trampoline (10 foot diameter) with safety net - needs cleaning, one
netting pole has telescoped so needs pulling out of itself."

It means: It's not worth fettling to stick on ebay. It's too big for me
to cart to the dump easily.

I tried to look up the word fettling, and Opera directed me to
fettling.com, something to do with West Yorkshire foundries :-)

I thought you were going to say it took you somewhere *completely*
different.

It is a fairly well known word in the foundry and workshop context, but
I think it is best known in the North of England.

Dahrn sarth the young fillies are always in fine fettle when the
season opens

Its always meant trimmed up for action, and it only acquired its
metalworking connotations during the industrial revolution.

"Saki"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB a écrit :
I had this with MIL's furniture after she died. People would make
appointments, and I'd go round to her house to show them stuff. I'd hang
around, and they wouldn't show. Or they would show, but wouldn't like it.
Easily one to two hours wasted each time. Charities, rather than freecycle.

Even charities have become very selective. We offered a rather fancy
buttoned leather armchair, two charities turned up and didn't want it
so we freecycled it and off it went. Then we saw it again in a charity
shop marked up at £100 :|
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/06/2016 01:02, James Wilkinson wrote:
On Sat, 18 Jun 2016 23:16:48 +0100, TheChief wrote:

"James Wilkinson" Wrote in message:
Just saw this in a freecycle ad:

"Trampoline (10 foot diameter) with safety net - needs cleaning, one
netting pole has telescoped so needs pulling out of itself."

Sounds to me like one of the vertical poles that support a safety
net around the perimeter of a circular trampoline has collapsed
i.e. they are telescopic and one has retracted.

I've never heard of or thought about "telescoping" meaning retracted,
only the exact opposite. Isn't there another word for the opposite of
telescoped?

Well, I suppose they could have said "tromboning" - but if you look that
up you'll find some "interesting" definitions!
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

WTF is it with people that think an anus is a sexual organ? **** has to be the most disgusting thing your body makes.

--
Don't take life so seriously, it's not permanent.