Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What does this mean?

On Sun, 19 Jun 2016 16:23:38 +0100, Roger Mills wrote:

On 19/06/2016 01:02, James Wilkinson wrote:
On Sat, 18 Jun 2016 23:16:48 +0100, TheChief wrote:

"James Wilkinson" Wrote in message:
Just saw this in a freecycle ad:

"Trampoline (10 foot diameter) with safety net - needs cleaning, one
netting pole has telescoped so needs pulling out of itself."

Sounds to me like one of the vertical poles that support a safety
net around the perimeter of a circular trampoline has collapsed
i.e. they are telescopic and one has retracted.

I've never heard of or thought about "telescoping" meaning retracted,
only the exact opposite. Isn't there another word for the opposite of
telescoped?

Well, I suppose they could have said "tromboning" - but if you look that
up you'll find some "interesting" definitions!

WTF is it with people that think an anus is a sexual organ? **** has to be the most disgusting thing your body makes.

--
Don't take life so seriously, it's not permanent.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 19 Jun 2016 10:59:47 +0100, tim... wrote:

"GB" wrote in message
On 19/06/2016 10:27, tim... wrote:

"TheChief" wrote in message
"tim..." Wrote in message:

"GB" wrote in message
On 18/06/2016 23:07, James Wilkinson wrote:
Just saw this in a freecycle ad:

"Trampoline (10 foot diameter) with safety net - needs cleaning, one
netting pole has telescoped so needs pulling out of itself."

It means: It's not worth fettling to stick on ebay.

Some people (including me) have a resistance to the aggravation of
selling
something to even, by other's standards, quite large values.

I've freecycled stuff with a value of about 50 quid.

I don't need 50 quid enough to go though all the aggro.

Just because some people are so poor that they can make a "living"
selling
empty jam jars on eBay at 5p a time doesn't mean that we all want to
do it.

It's too big for me to cart to the dump easily.

That's true

tim

Does the free cycling of goods not involve pretty much the same
process as on-line selling?

No

I don't have to warp up the item take it to the PO pay for postage etc

I don't have to deal with arguments over it being not as described when
the buyer wants to stiff me for the cash

etc

I post something on freecycle

and if you "win" the item, you collect at my convenience or it goes to
the next person

The number of people who just don't turn up....

as I will have made no special arrangements, costs me nothing

Bloody irritating though. I've never figured out why people don't turn up - are some people deliberately trying to **** up freecycle. I see no benefit in saying "I want this" then not collecting it.

--
Esplanade (v.), to attempt an explanation while drunk.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 19 Jun 2016 09:22:35 +0100, tim... wrote:

"GB" wrote in message
On 18/06/2016 23:07, James Wilkinson wrote:
Just saw this in a freecycle ad:

"Trampoline (10 foot diameter) with safety net - needs cleaning, one
netting pole has telescoped so needs pulling out of itself."

It means: It's not worth fettling to stick on ebay.

Some people (including me) have a resistance to the aggravation of selling
something to even, by other's standards, quite large values.

I've freecycled stuff with a value of about 50 quid.

I don't need 50 quid enough to go though all the aggro.

I like people like you, that's why I've got a 6 month old dishwasher, two perfectly working inkjet printers, several brass lights, a ceiling fan, a washing machine, a few pieces of furniture, and countless other things that would have cost me up to £50 each 2nd hand.

--
FART stands for FAst Repetitive Ticks, and herrings use them to communicate.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 19 Jun 2016 15:13:55 +0100, Weatherlawyer wrote:

On Sunday, 19 June 2016 00:49:13 UTC+1, James Wilkinson wrote:

You can get good stuff on freecycle, like my 6 month old dishwasher!

Bloody hell she's not old enough to go to nursery school, how the bloody hell did you get her washing dishes?

Bet she breaks loads.

Simple, I lined the kitchen with soft cushions.

What surprises me is that in the 21st century we're still using breakable pots.

--
A car hit an elderly Jewish man. The paramedic says, "Are you comfortable?" The man says, "I make a good living."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

What is a/l?

On Sun, 19 Jun 2016 14:00:12 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

Well, one assumes that the adjustable pole has, erm maladjusted and got
stuck?
Do you know that these devices cause almost as many people to go to a/I as
glossy magazines left on floors?

Brian

--
The record of having had intercourse the most frequently goes to a boy who was recorded to have had intercourse about 52,000 times over a period of 30 years. This means he had intercourse on average 33.3 times a week.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 19 Jun 2016 06:58:05 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

Bill Wright wrote
James Wilkinson wrote

I tried to look up the word fettling, and Opera directed me to
fettling.com, something to do with West Yorkshire foundries :-)

I'm sorry but why would you look up such a basic well-known word?

Because he is an ignorant streaker.

Stop imagining me naked.

--
We've come so far that community service is considered punishment.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 19 Jun 2016 10:36:56 +0100, GB wrote:

On 19/06/2016 09:25, tim... wrote:

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
On 19/06/2016 00:48, James Wilkinson wrote:

I tried to look up the word fettling, and Opera directed me to
fettling.com, something to do with West Yorkshire foundries :-)

I'm sorry but why would you look up such a basic well-known word?

because you used it in a sense that was not in keeping with its well
know meaning

tim

Oh bugger, that's me, then. I just thought fettling something meant to
clean it up and put it in working order.

In fact, that's what the OED says - see definition 1.1 he
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/de...english/fettle

However, it's Northern English, and not everyone has been brought up on
a diet of Fred Dibnah.

I'm half northerner by blood, I'd heard the word before but forgotten its meaning.

--
An English woman who has been blind for 26 years got her sight back after suffering a heart attack.
Unfortunately, after she was able to see her doctors bill she had several more heart attacks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote
TheChief wrote

Does the free cycling of goods not involve
pretty much the same process as on-line selling?

Why is it any less aggro?

Because it is a local thing, and the item collected. Packing large
items for the 'post' is not an easy job for most casual sellers.

Dunno about you lot, but with ours, those selling
stuff like that on ebay just say its pickup only.

So no different to Freecycle except that you do get paid.

Mate of mine has bought a number of cars that way on ebay.

And the other obvious alternative is the Facebook buy
sell swap groups. Works a lot better then Freecycle and
you can do what you like, name a price, accept offers,
say that its free for the taking, no fees involved at all.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 6/19/2016 12:48 AM, James Wilkinson wrote:
On Sat, 18 Jun 2016 23:39:34 +0100, GB wrote:

On 18/06/2016 23:07, James Wilkinson wrote:
Just saw this in a freecycle ad:

"Trampoline (10 foot diameter) with safety net - needs cleaning, one
netting pole has telescoped so needs pulling out of itself."

It means: It's not worth fettling to stick on ebay. It's too big for me
to cart to the dump easily.

I tried to look up the word fettling, and Opera directed me to
fettling.com, something to do with West Yorkshire foundries :-)

I thought you were going to say it took you somewhere *completely*
different.

It is a fairly well known word in the foundry and workshop context, but I
think it is best known in the North of England.

There's also the top one here.
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us...nglish/fettler

Posted to uk.d-i-y

news
wrote:

"GB" wrote in message
On 19/06/2016 10:27, tim... wrote:

"TheChief" wrote in message
"tim..." Wrote in message:

"GB" wrote in message
[...]

Presumably some of them say they want it and then change their mind,
some say they want it to a number of people and when they pick up the
first one decide that its fine and don't bother with the rest etc.

- are some people deliberately trying to **** up freecycle. I see no
benefit in saying "I want this" then not collecting it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"GB" wrote in message
On 19/06/2016 10:27, tim... wrote:

"TheChief" wrote in message
"tim..." Wrote in message:

"GB" wrote in message
[...]

Almost as irritating as those who send two identical replies to each
usenet post!
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"GB" wrote in message
On 19/06/2016 10:27, tim... wrote:

"TheChief" wrote in message
"tim..." Wrote in message:

"GB" wrote in message
[...]

Opera does that sometimes. If it's downloading messages [1], the outgoing ones stick in the outbox as though they've not been sent, so I stop the download and send them manually. Presumably it has sent them already. Odd, as my news server used to reject duplicates.

[1] Sometimes Opera will download about 20,000 messages, one by one, taking an hour, for no reason at all. It only gets a handful and ignores the rest, so it must lose track of where it's up to.

--
A fat girl served me in McDonald's at lunchtime. She said "sorry about the wait". I said, "Don't worry, you'll find a way to lose it eventually"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"GB" wrote in message
On 19/06/2016 10:27, tim... wrote:

"TheChief" wrote in message
"tim..." Wrote in message:

"GB" wrote in message
[...]

A quick email to say "I've changed my mind" would suffice. Funny how I've never changed my mind.

some say they want it to a number of people and when they pick up the
first one decide that its fine and don't bother with the rest etc.

Around here anyway, there is usually one of the thing available, and many people wanting it, not the other way around. So you simply don't get people picking a different thing.

- are some people deliberately trying to **** up freecycle. I see no
benefit in saying "I want this" then not collecting it.

--
Experience is what you got by not having it when you need it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"GB" wrote in message
On 19/06/2016 10:27, tim... wrote:

"TheChief" wrote in message
"tim..." Wrote in message:

"GB" wrote in message
[...]

Sure, but plenty are ****wits who don't bother to do that.

Funny how I've never changed my mind.

I don't either but plenty do.

some say they want it to a number of people and when they pick up the
first one decide that its fine and don't bother with the rest etc.

Around here anyway, there is usually one of the thing available, and many
people wanting it, not the other way around.

That's because its infested with povs, what you lot call chavs.

So you simply don't get people picking a different thing.

- are some people deliberately trying to **** up freecycle. I see no
benefit in saying "I want this" then not collecting it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"James Wilkinson" wrote in message
news On Sun, 19 Jun 2016 10:59:47 +0100, tim...
wrote:

"GB" wrote in message
On 19/06/2016 10:27, tim... wrote:

"TheChief" wrote in message
"tim..." Wrote in message:

"GB" wrote in message
[...]

"I am surrounded by idiots" -- Albert Einstein.

Funny how I've never changed my mind.

I don't either but plenty do.

Must be Sheilas.

some say they want it to a number of people and when they pick up the
first one decide that its fine and don't bother with the rest etc.

Around here anyway, there is usually one of the thing available, and many
people wanting it, not the other way around.

That's because its infested with povs, what you lot call chavs.

One third of this area is council housing.

So you simply don't get people picking a different thing.

- are some people deliberately trying to **** up freecycle. I see no
benefit in saying "I want this" then not collecting it.

--
"I have a ringing in my ears." Doctor: "Don't answer!"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 19 Jun 2016 10:36:14 +0100, ARW wrote:

"James Wilkinson" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 18 Jun 2016 23:39:34 +0100, GB wrote:

On 18/06/2016 23:07, James Wilkinson wrote:
Just saw this in a freecycle ad:

"Trampoline (10 foot diameter) with safety net - needs cleaning, one
netting pole has telescoped so needs pulling out of itself."

It means: It's not worth fettling to stick on ebay. It's too big for me
to cart to the dump easily.

You can get good stuff on freecycle, like my 6 month old dishwasher!

Na - it 12 months to get a divorce

Women trouble, Adam?

--
Illegal is a big sick bird.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 19 Jun 2016 11:43:39 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 19/06/16 00:48, James Wilkinson wrote:
On Sat, 18 Jun 2016 23:39:34 +0100, GB wrote:

On 18/06/2016 23:07, James Wilkinson wrote:
Just saw this in a freecycle ad:

"Trampoline (10 foot diameter) with safety net - needs cleaning, one
netting pole has telescoped so needs pulling out of itself."

It means: It's not worth fettling to stick on ebay. It's too big for me
to cart to the dump easily.

I tried to look up the word fettling, and Opera directed me to
fettling.com, something to do with West Yorkshire foundries :-)

Its odd, the dictionaries dont seem to have caught up with modern usage.
Originally it was trimming off clay mould lines or mould lines on
casting, but its come to mean any sort of 'improvement by manual labour'
So parts that don't quite fit get 'fettled'; with e.g. a file till they
do..

It's probably not common enough.

--
Illegal is a big sick bird.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 19 Jun 2016 12:11:51 +0100, Steve Walker wrote:

On 19/06/2016 01:02, James Wilkinson wrote:
On Sat, 18 Jun 2016 23:16:48 +0100, TheChief wrote:

"James Wilkinson" Wrote in message:
Just saw this in a freecycle ad:

"Trampoline (10 foot diameter) with safety net - needs cleaning, one
netting pole has telescoped so needs pulling out of itself."

Sounds to me like one of the vertical poles that support a safety
net around the perimeter of a circular trampoline has collapsed
i.e. they are telescopic and one has retracted.

I've never heard of or thought about "telescoping" meaning retracted,
only the exact opposite. Isn't there another word for the opposite of
telescoped?

Telescopes move both in and out, so the word fits for both.

I am more used to it in the retracting sense. For instance, it is
commonly used about vehicles in accidents - i.e. where in a railway
accident, one carriage smashes through the end of another.

I'd call that untelescoping, or better yet something like compressing.

--
I've had bad luck with both my wives. The first one left me and the second one didn't.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"GB" wrote in message
On 19/06/2016 10:27, tim... wrote:

"TheChief" wrote in message
"tim..." Wrote in message:

"GB" wrote in message
[...]

That's what I meant, and I bet it's a lot more than a third
of those who say they will be picking stuff up on Freecycle.

So you simply don't get people picking a different thing.

- are some people deliberately trying to **** up freecycle. I see no
benefit in saying "I want this" then not collecting it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Well, one assumes that the adjustable pole has, erm maladjusted and got
stuck?
Do you know that these devices cause almost as many people to go to a/I
as
glossy magazines left on floors?

Brian

Perhaps he means a/t (clue: a over t).
--
Dave W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"James Wilkinson" wrote in message
news On Sun, 19 Jun 2016 20:46:01 +0100, Rod Speed

wrote:

"GB" wrote in message
On 19/06/2016 10:27, tim... wrote:

"TheChief" wrote in message
"tim..." Wrote in message:

"GB" wrote in message
[...]

Probably, although I've collected decent stuff (the ceiling fan and a printer) from council housing. The ceiling fan because the tenant was told she wasn't allowed it with a gas fire, and the printer er.... I dunno. I've also been paid to give someone in council housing 50 moving house boxes.

--
Dancing cheektocheek is really a form of floor play.