Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default stuck union nut

Please see attached photo, I try and turn the nut by pulling the spanner
upwards which I presume is the correct way and hold the valve with pliers but
the pipe just bends, Ive used WD 40 and I'm, scared that I will bend the
valve/pipe, any suggestions?
http://www.homeownershub.com/img/79
http://www.homeownershub.com/img/7a

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article s.com,
P R L Hughes wrote:
Please see attached photo, I try and turn the nut by pulling the spanner
upwards which I presume is the correct way and hold the valve with
pliers but the pipe just bends, Ive used WD 40 and I'm, scared that I
will bend the valve/pipe, any suggestions?
http://www.homeownershub.com/img/79
http://www.homeownershub.com/img/7a

Surely you should be pushing down on the spanner to undo the nut which
should move towards the radiator as it unscrews.

Alan

--

Using an ARMX6
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Alan Dawes wrote:
In article s.com,
P R L Hughes
wrote:
Please see attached photo, I try and turn the nut by pulling the
spanner upwards which I presume is the correct way and hold the
valve with pliers but the pipe just bends, Ive used WD 40 and I'm,
scared that I will bend the valve/pipe, any suggestions?
http://www.homeownershub.com/img/79
http://www.homeownershub.com/img/7a

Surely you should be pushing down on the spanner to undo the nut which
should move towards the radiator as it unscrews.

Alan

That is the correct answer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/06/2016 17:55, Alan Dawes wrote:
In wsgroups.com,
P R L Hughescaedfaa9ed1216d60ef78a6f660f5f85_9764@examp le.com wrote:
Please see attached photo, I try and turn the nut by pulling the spanner
upwards which I presume is the correct way and hold the valve with
pliers but the pipe just bends, Ive used WD 40 and I'm, scared that I
will bend the valve/pipe, any suggestions?
http://www.homeownershub.com/img/79
http://www.homeownershub.com/img/7a

Surely you should be pushing down on the spanner to undo the nut which
should move towards the radiator as it unscrews.

Alan

+1

--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Please see attached photo, I try and turn the nut by pulling the spanner
upwards which I presume is the correct way and hold the valve with
pliers but the pipe just bends, Ive used WD 40 and I'm, scared that I
will bend the valve/pipe, any suggestions?
http://www.homeownershub.com/img/79
http://www.homeownershub.com/img/7a

Surely you should be pushing down on the spanner to undo the nut which
should move towards the radiator as it unscrews.

Alan

+1

+2. The thread is on the valve, not the radiator. It's a normal right
hand thread. It may well be pretty tight, by the look of it, you might
be better off holding it with water pump pliers or with a large
adjustable (applied over the end of the valve spindle). Or a mole
wrench, applied the same way.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Please see attached photo, I try and turn the nut by pulling the spanner
upwards which I presume is the correct way and hold the valve with
pliers but the pipe just bends, Ive used WD 40 and I'm, scared that I
will bend the valve/pipe, any suggestions?
http://www.homeownershub.com/img/79
http://www.homeownershub.com/img/7a

Surely you should be pushing down on the spanner to undo the nut which
should move towards the radiator as it unscrews.

Alan

+1

+2. The thread is on the valve, not the radiator. It's a normal right
hand thread. It may well be pretty tight, by the look of it, you might
be better off holding it with water pump pliers or with a large
adjustable (applied over the end of the valve spindle). Or a mole
wrench, applied the same way.

Also, tap the nut on each flat working your way around as far as
access permits.
This will help to break up crud, boss white etc. in the threads.

Phil
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/06/2016 17:44, P R L Hughes wrote:
Please see attached photo, I try and turn the nut by pulling the spanner
upwards which I presume is the correct way and hold the valve with
pliers but

The nut is captive on the rad tail, and screws on the valve - not the
other way around. So in that case you need to push the spanner down.

the pipe just bends, Ive used WD 40 and I'm, scared that I will bend the
valve/pipe, any suggestions?
http://www.homeownershub.com/img/79
http://www.homeownershub.com/img/7a

Grip the body of the valve in another tool such as locking spanner, or
even a stilson style pipe wrench.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

P R L Hughes wrote

Fark, your username is a tad on the long side.

Please see attached photo, I try and turn the nut by pulling the spanner
upwards which I presume is the correct way and hold the valve with pliers
but the pipe just bends, Ive used WD 40 and I'm, scared that I will bend
the valve/pipe, any suggestions?
http://www.homeownershub.com/img/79
http://www.homeownershub.com/img/7a

There's two nuts there. Presumably you mean the one on the right in the
photo.

You're tightening the nut, you should be pulling the spanner down.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Rod Speed, pete wrote:
thanks . so always nut towards the radiator ?

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy/...t-1137989-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

pete wrote in
roups.com:

replying to Rod Speed, pete wrote:
thanks . so always nut towards the radiator ?

Yes - you are removing it from the valve body.

If in doubt - try another or look at a valve in a DIY Shed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

pete wrote
replying to Rod Speed, pete wrote:

thanks . so always nut towards the radiator ?

When unscrewing it, yep.

OT-The Union Man Howard Beal Metalworking 0 December 12th 12 10:58 PM
OT - The Public-Union Ascendancy -- Government union members now outnumber private for the first time Joseph Gwinn Metalworking 5 February 5th 10 03:25 AM
Help with PVC union... ctd4x4 Home Repair 4 April 24th 06 04:49 PM
GMB Union gastec UK diy 348 January 3rd 06 09:47 PM
The Dielectric Union chickenwing Home Repair 15 December 19th 05 09:51 PM