Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default CPC/Farnell being sold

Looks like Farnell is being sold...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36525795

Hope that doesn't screw up CPC/Farnell...

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 15 June 2016 16:05:39 UTC+1, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Looks like Farnell is being sold...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36525795

Hope that doesn't screw up CPC/Farnell...

--
Andrew Gabriel

Does that include onecall
Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Looks like Farnell is being sold...

Does that include onecall

I'd be surprised if it didn't, it's basically just a purchasing
framework between .ac.uk and farnell, isn't it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Looks like Farnell is being sold...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36525795

Hope that doesn't screw up CPC/Farnell...

Bought by a Swiss company. Was it UK owned before?

--
*Sticks and stones may break my bones but whips and chains excite me*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Looks like Farnell is being sold...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36525795

Hope that doesn't screw up CPC/Farnell...

Bought by a Swiss company. Was it UK owned before?

according to the report it was listed on the London Stck Exchange, so it
was anyone's guess who owned it.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Andy Burns
escribió:

I'd be surprised if it didn't, it's basically just a purchasing
framework between .ac.uk and farnell, isn't it?

More like a cartel.

I got really ****ed off trying to order small bits and bobs from CPC and
having the order declined, sometimes accepted then declined, and being
redirected to onecall.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) systemd: the Linux version of Windows 10
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 15 June 2016 17:50:11 UTC+1, charles wrote:
In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Looks like Farnell is being sold...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36525795

Hope that doesn't screw up CPC/Farnell...

Bought by a Swiss company. Was it UK owned before?

according to the report it was listed on the London Stck Exchange, so it
was anyone's guess who owned it.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premier_Farnell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/06/16 16:05, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Looks like Farnell is being sold...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36525795

Hope that doesn't screw up CPC/Farnell...

It would be nice if the Swiss then took over Maplin.

Imagine the street availability of precision made goods rather than cr@p...

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Tomlinson wrote:
I got really ****ed off trying to order small bits and bobs from CPC and
having the order declined, sometimes accepted then declined, and being
redirected to onecall.

I have two accounts: one for Onecall and one for CPC. Pick whichever is
cheapest for the bits you want (free postage at CPC, discount but minimum
order at Onecall). Part codes can be transferred from one to the other
(even the 'offer' CPC codes with an extra two digits on the end).

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Adrian Caspersz
escribió:

Imagine the street availability of precision made goods rather than cr@p...

Multiple copies of the CPC catalogue thumping on the doormat filled to
the brim with deals on cuckoo clocks instead of cheap Chinese crap. Joy
unconfin'd.

I used to get one copy of the catalogue. Then it became two. Now it
stands at three. I don't even look at them any more, straight in the
bin.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) systemd: the Linux version of Windows 10
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Theo theom+news
@chiark.greenend.org.uk escribió:

I have two accounts: one for Onecall and one for CPC. Pick whichever is
cheapest for the bits you want

Personal orders, paid for with my own card, still get transferred to
onecall as soon as they see the .ac.uk address. Idiots.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) systemd: the Linux version of Windows 10
(")_(")
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 15 June 2016 16:51:04 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
whisky-dave wrote:

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Looks like Farnell is being sold...

Does that include onecall

I'd be surprised if it didn't, it's basically just a purchasing
framework between .ac.uk and farnell, isn't it?

Yes for cheaper purchases, so wondering if that will contnue.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Theo writes:
Mike Tomlinson wrote:
I got really ****ed off trying to order small bits and bobs from CPC and
having the order declined, sometimes accepted then declined, and being
redirected to onecall.

I have two accounts: one for Onecall and one for CPC. Pick whichever is
cheapest for the bits you want (free postage at CPC, discount but minimum
order at Onecall). Part codes can be transferred from one to the other
(even the 'offer' CPC codes with an extra two digits on the end).

I did try putting a Farnell part number on a CPC order once, but
it wasn't accepted (even though it's the same website). Seems a
shame not to make that work (although I haven't tried recently).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

escribió:

Imagine the street availability of precision made goods rather than cr@p...

Multiple copies of the CPC catalogue thumping on the doormat filled to
the brim with deals on cuckoo clocks instead of cheap Chinese crap. Joy
unconfin'd.

I used to get one copy of the catalogue. Then it became two. Now it
stands at three. I don't even look at them any more, straight in the
bin.

I do use the catalogue. I wish the website search was good enough to
not need it, but it frequently fails to find things I know are in the
catalogue.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 16 Jun 2016 23:01:28 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

In article ,
Mike Tomlinson writes:
En el artÃ*culo , Adrian Caspersz
escribió:

Imagine the street availability of precision made goods rather than
cr@p...

Multiple copies of the CPC catalogue thumping on the doormat filled to
the brim with deals on cuckoo clocks instead of cheap Chinese crap.
Joy unconfin'd.

I used to get one copy of the catalogue. Then it became two. Now it
stands at three. I don't even look at them any more, straight in the
bin.

I do use the catalogue. I wish the website search was good enough to not
need it, but it frequently fails to find things I know are in the
catalogue.

At least you can view the actual catalogue online now.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:
I do use the catalogue. I wish the website search was good enough to not
need it, but it frequently fails to find things I know are in the
catalogue.

At least you can view the actual catalogue online now.

It could be just me, but none of these electronics suppliers seem to have
a decent website. My main complaint is grouping things in an area I'd not
expect. And not having a cross reference to things you'd likely want at
the same time.

One example - you buy the housing for a multi-pole connector which
obviously needs terminals etc too. But have to spend ages finding the
terminals. That sort of thing.

--
*The statement above is false

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , pamela
escribió:

Isn't Farnell Onecall for public sector customers rather than
individuals?

Yes. I worked for a uni before taking early retirement.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) systemd: the Linux version of Windows 10
(")_(")
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
pamela writes:
On 00:01 17 Jun 2016, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

In article ,
Mike Tomlinson writes:
En el artículo , Adrian
Caspersz escribió:

Imagine the street availability of precision made goods rather
than cr@p...

Multiple copies of the CPC catalogue thumping on the doormat
filled to the brim with deals on cuckoo clocks instead of cheap
Chinese crap. Joy unconfin'd.

I used to get one copy of the catalogue. Then it became two.
Now it stands at three. I don't even look at them any more,
straight in the bin.

I do use the catalogue. I wish the website search was good
enough to not need it, but it frequently fails to find things I
know are in the catalogue.

Do you get the full catalogue?

Yes, but I do spend a lot with them.
Last issue was 2015 (quite early in 2015 I suspect).
There's been a small supplementary catalogue of new
things issued more recently this year.

When I signed up and asked for a copy they were cagey and said it
wasn't available any more blah blah blah.

Pure guess, but at this point I doubt they'd want to do
a new print run of last year's catalogue, which probably means
they would only have limited stock for new larger customers.

That felt strange especially as CPC's online catalogue was shots of
pages (albeit in electronic form) laid out exactly like a hard copy
catalogue.

I spoke with the team which produced the RS catalogue some years
ago, and it is an enormous undertaking. They used the largest Sun
computer available at the time to assemble it (that was probably
an E15K or E25K - I can't recall exactly when it was), so I don't
underestimate the effort involved in generating a new issue.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 16 Jun 2016 22:59:07 -0000 (UTC), Andrew Gabriel wrote:

... (free postage at CPC, discount but minimum order at Onecall).

Part
codes can be transferred from one to the other (even the 'offer'

CPC
codes with an extra two digits on the end).

I did try putting a Farnell part number on a CPC order once, but
it wasn't accepted (even though it's the same website). Seems a
shame not to make that work (although I haven't tried recently).

CPC codes are two letters 6 digits sometimes plus 2 digits format.
Farnell are purely numeric.

Anyway it would make price checking between the two far to easy. My
last three orders of electronic bits and bobs have gone to Farnell as
they were cheaper. Sometimes the price difference is quite large,
think a fiver on something less than £20...

The CSS appears to be shared between the CPC and Farnell sites but
the database isn't, not just prices but stock levels as well.
Something with several hundred stock with say CPC can be out of stock
on Farnell and have a 3 month lead time!

--
Cheers
Dave.

Farnell delivery routing Geo[_2_] UK diy 3 February 27th 11 12:29 AM
JST-SM connectors, m/c wire and Farnell T i m UK diy 32 December 5th 09 11:07 PM
CPC vs Farnell? adrian UK diy 32 May 14th 09 09:28 AM
Farnell l30 .05Ma power supply help ???? paul405 Electronics Repair 0 November 23rd 04 01:03 PM
farnell L30 Power supply help? paul405 Electronics Repair 1 November 14th 04 10:29 PM