Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Up & over garage door replacement

Not DIY as such as I'll get someone to do it, but what would the panel
recommend to replace an aging U&O door with a roll up type, any particular
brands? The more secure the better obviously.

Cheers
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 12 Jun 2016 17:30:52 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Sun, 12 Jun 2016 17:07:32 +0100, DC wrote:

Not DIY as such as I'll get someone to do it, but what would the panel
recommend to replace an aging U&O door with a roll up type, any
particular brands? The more secure the better obviously.

Cheers

I have a Hormann sectional door.

+1

A proper roll-up requires significant space above the door to
accommodate the 'roll' when the door is open.

and the other garage has a roll up door as its too high an opening for
the sectional type.

Hormann are very good and neither types have caused any problems in the
years we have had them. I prefer the sectional type as it opens and
closes more quickly than the roll up style.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

DC wrote:
Not DIY as such as I'll get someone to do it, but what would the panel
recommend to replace an aging U&O door with a roll up type, any particular
brands? The more secure the better obviously.

Cheers

I'd avoid the ones where the winding motor is in the centre of the drum.
There have been a few posts over the years about the difficulty these
present when the motor/gearbox fails as you cant always unwind the door
from the drum for access. The more industrial ones with a worm gearbox
and motor mounted on one end lend themselves to easier maintenance.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris Hogg wrote:

On Sun, 12 Jun 2016 17:07:32 +0100, DC wrote:

Not DIY as such as I'll get someone to do it, but what would the panel
recommend to replace an aging U&O door with a roll up type, any particular
brands? The more secure the better obviously.

Cheers

I have a Hormann sectional door. ....

Having seen this discussion a couple of times in recent years, I will
also be going with what Chris and others have "next time".

I've had a remote controlled roll-up door for about 4 years now, and the
advantages over the old U&O door are fantastic. However I bought
"cheap", (about ?800 IIRC) and the door is fairly fragile -- or rather
its fixings are. It has a very poor obstruction detector, and it
doesn't switch off if it meets any obstruction; so it breaks its plastic
fastenings. (Done it twice.)

So yes: go expensive and (as so often :-( ) go German.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Another John wrote:
In article ,
Chris Hogg wrote:

[...]

I have an up & over door installed for my marley garage in about 1980.
SMBO was finding it hard to operate so we've had a motorised drive added
about 3 years ago. Works a treat (yes, it's German)

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 13 Jun 2016 08:51:21 +0100, charles wrote:

(yes, it's German)

Thanks for all the input. I'm going German.
Any fitters to recommend? East Midlands.

Cheers

Replacement garage door F[_2_] UK diy 3 April 25th 12 08:14 PM
replacement garage door for 1960's Marley Garage Jack Fate UK diy 0 May 13th 08 12:54 PM
Garage Door Replacement Rod UK diy 12 February 18th 08 07:28 PM
Garage door replacement Steve IA Home Repair 9 March 28th 07 01:16 AM
Garage door replacement Simon UK diy 4 May 29th 05 11:56 AM