Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default LiDL batteries

I've had several batches of AA/AAA batteries from LiDL and found them
OK, some of my oldest ones not holding so much charge now, so noticed
them on the shelves today and picked up so AAs, got them home and they
felt suspiciously light ...

So I've weighed pairs of various AAs I'd had over the years, in roughly
chronological order, some are well past-it and only used in last resort.

Ansmann 2200mAh NIMH 57g
Hahnel 2350mAh NIMH 58g
Sony 2000mAh NIMH/LSD 52g
Maplin 2100mAh NIMH/LSD 56g
LiDL "red" 2100mAh NIMH/LSD 55g
LiDL "black" 2100mAh NIMH/LSD 53g
LiDL "silver" 2400mAh NIMH/LSD 37g

I'm somewhat suspicious that the latest LiDL/TRONIC batteries are *so*
much lighter, yet claim to have higher capacity ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 8 Jun 2016 16:58:18 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

I've had several batches of AA/AAA batteries from LiDL and found them
OK, some of my oldest ones not holding so much charge now, so noticed
them on the shelves today and picked up so AAs, got them home and they
felt suspiciously light ...

So I've weighed pairs of various AAs I'd had over the years, in roughly
chronological order, some are well past-it and only used in last resort.

Ansmann 2200mAh NIMH 57g
Hahnel 2350mAh NIMH 58g
Sony 2000mAh NIMH/LSD 52g
Maplin 2100mAh NIMH/LSD 56g
LiDL "red" 2100mAh NIMH/LSD 55g
LiDL "black" 2100mAh NIMH/LSD 53g
LiDL "silver" 2400mAh NIMH/LSD 37g

I'm somewhat suspicious that the latest LiDL/TRONIC batteries are *so*
much lighter, yet claim to have higher capacity ...

Are those weights for pairs? I've just weighed some Eneloops:
2.4Ah 30g
1.9Ah 26g and
Lidl from a few years ago 26g.

The 2.4Ah ones will run the toothbrush for 5 weeks.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

PeterC wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Ansmann 2200mAh NIMH 57g
Hahnel 2350mAh NIMH 58g
Sony 2000mAh NIMH/LSD 52g
Maplin 2100mAh NIMH/LSD 56g
LiDL "red" 2100mAh NIMH/LSD 55g
LiDL "black" 2100mAh NIMH/LSD 53g
LiDL "silver" 2400mAh NIMH/LSD 37g

I'm somewhat suspicious that the latest LiDL/TRONIC batteries are *so*
much lighter, yet claim to have higher capacity ...

Are those weights for pairs?

Yes.

I've just weighed some Eneloops:
2.4Ah 30g
1.9Ah 26g and
Lidl from a few years ago 26g.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Back in the old days of ni cads, it was common for the same cell sizes to
just be put into the bigger bateries. Tandy used to do this a lot. their
later ones managed to make aa batteries more powerful, and hence the C sizes
got lighter for the same size/capacity. More space inside one supposes.
also some of the berec hi power ones had vents and did lose weight over
time as one supposes the elatrolyte boiled off to some extent.

I'd have though somebody might have this documented somewhere.
the newer technologies seemed to change some years ago when te auto
discharge rates suddenly stopped being a factor which effectively gave the
same batteries more power.
brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"PeterC" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/06/2016 16:58, Andy Burns wrote:
I've had several batches of AA/AAA batteries from LiDL and found them
OK, some of my oldest ones not holding so much charge now, so noticed
them on the shelves today and picked up so AAs, got them home and they
felt suspiciously light ...

So I've weighed pairs of various AAs I'd had over the years, in roughly
chronological order, some are well past-it and only used in last resort.

Ansmann 2200mAh NIMH 57g
Hahnel 2350mAh NIMH 58g
Sony 2000mAh NIMH/LSD 52g
Maplin 2100mAh NIMH/LSD 56g
LiDL "red" 2100mAh NIMH/LSD 55g
LiDL "black" 2100mAh NIMH/LSD 53g
LiDL "silver" 2400mAh NIMH/LSD 37g

I'm somewhat suspicious that the latest LiDL/TRONIC batteries are *so*
much lighter, yet claim to have higher capacity ...

Difference in case construction possibly ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Robert wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

LiDL "silver" 2400mAh NIMH/LSD 37g

I'm somewhat suspicious that the latest LiDL/TRONIC batteries are *so*
much lighter

Difference in case construction possibly ?

I've peeled the foil wrapper off one, they are a full metal canister,
but thin enough material that you can *just* feel it deform if you
squeeze it between finger and thumb ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/06/2016 20:53, Andy Burns wrote:
Robert wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

LiDL "silver" 2400mAh NIMH/LSD 37g

I'm somewhat suspicious that the latest LiDL/TRONIC batteries are *so*
much lighter

Difference in case construction possibly ?

I've peeled the foil wrapper off one, they are a full metal canister,
but thin enough material that you can *just* feel it deform if you
squeeze it between finger and thumb ...

The pre-charged ones (low leakage) have a different construction to the
old ones. I have no idea if it makes them lighter as I have never looked
into it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

The pre-charged ones (low leakage) have a different construction to the
old ones. I have no idea if it makes them lighter as I have never looked
into it.

I weighed a mixture of LSD ones and standard NiMH, before now only the
Sony LSDs were lighter, and not by anywhere near so much.

Comparing LiDL's LSD types, the newest AA (18g) feel closer in the hand
to the previous AAA (13g) than the previous AA (27g).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

Comparing LiDL's LSD types, the newest AA (18g) feel closer in the hand
to the previous AAA (13g) than the previous AA (27g).

Seems they only hold about half their rated charge ...

http://budgetlightforum.com/node/47141

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/06/2016 16:58, Andy Burns wrote:
I've had several batches of AA/AAA batteries from LiDL and found them
OK, some of my oldest ones not holding so much charge now, so noticed
them on the shelves today and picked up so AAs, got them home and they
felt suspiciously light ...

So I've weighed pairs of various AAs I'd had over the years, in roughly
chronological order, some are well past-it and only used in last resort.

Ansmann 2200mAh NIMH 57g
Hahnel 2350mAh NIMH 58g
Sony 2000mAh NIMH/LSD 52g
Maplin 2100mAh NIMH/LSD 56g
LiDL "red" 2100mAh NIMH/LSD 55g
LiDL "black" 2100mAh NIMH/LSD 53g
LiDL "silver" 2400mAh NIMH/LSD 37g

I'm somewhat suspicious that the latest LiDL/TRONIC batteries are *so*
much lighter, yet claim to have higher capacity ...

Is there a standard for measuring capacity, or is it a case of 'peak
music power'?

Cheers
--
Syd

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Syd Rumpo wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

I'm somewhat suspicious that the latest LiDL/TRONIC batteries are *so*
much lighter, yet claim to have higher capacity ...

Is there a standard for measuring capacity, or is it a case of 'peak
music power'?

Some of the 'intelligent' chargers will measure capacity, they run the
cell down, then recharge it, e.g.

https://youtu.be/IA-MZZD7HEQ?t=11s

As that's on older video it think it's not the v2.2 firmware which
altered the fan behaviour, but that chap seems to do reasonable
multi-meter reviews and it's not in Russian which half of the youtube
reviews seem to be.

Of course various factors such as the charge rate, discharge rate,
whether they measure on the way in or way out etc result in different
numbers, this site shows charge/discharge graphs

http://lygte-info.dk/review/Review%20Charger%20Opus%20BT-C3100%20V2.1%20UK.html

Lidl DIY F[_2_] UK diy 1 March 7th 15 09:09 PM
Video showing heavy flour in AA batteries: any way for layman to testNiMH batteries? Amanda Riphnykhazova Electronics Repair 24 October 27th 13 07:33 PM
LIDL Tronic low-self-discharge type batteries. [email protected] UK diy 6 December 25th 12 05:40 AM
lidl nimh batteries Fred UK diy 29 November 11th 10 12:51 PM
Long life rechargable batteries @ Lidl - Thursday Simon C UK diy 12 October 29th 10 05:13 PM