Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT GM food anyone?

From what I can tell, it appears that the IMF in conjunction
with the EU have persauded the Ukraine to plant Monsanto GM crops. How
does the UK keep them out of our market?

Monsanto AIUI have lost a US supreme court decision where they
claimed ownership of corn seed which had been contaminated by cross
pollination hrom an adjacent GM field. If previous decisions from the EU
courts are anything to go by, then in the EU they would have won,
causing a massive increase in seed corn prices.

As the prevailing winds are eastbound, then this is going to
spread GM seeds into Russia. I guess this is the perfect excuse to
provoke a Russian invasion of the Ukraine to destroy all these crops and
wreck the Ukraineian economy which is already in hock to the IMF and the EU.

Life looks interesting!!!

The greens don't seem to have spotted this yet to any real extent,
but it may well provoke a few more leave votes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Actually in New scientist and Nature the debate on GM has re awoken as it is
claimed that al gm does is speed up new varieties to market than traditional
breeding programs.

The problem of ownership of seed is a bit more complex. On the one hand if
you allow the seed to be viable and the polen to be transferraable then you
will get different mixed species of the original even though the original
seed is unviable.

Actually I doubt your scenario will occur, as some people still have common
sense.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Capitol" wrote in message
o.uk...
From what I can tell, it appears that the IMF in conjunction with
the EU have persauded the Ukraine to plant Monsanto GM crops. How does the
UK keep them out of our market?

Monsanto AIUI have lost a US supreme court decision where they claimed
ownership of corn seed which had been contaminated by cross pollination
hrom an adjacent GM field. If previous decisions from the EU courts are
anything to go by, then in the EU they would have won, causing a massive
increase in seed corn prices.

As the prevailing winds are eastbound, then this is going to
spread GM seeds into Russia. I guess this is the perfect excuse to provoke
a Russian invasion of the Ukraine to destroy all these crops and wreck the
Ukraineian economy which is already in hock to the IMF and the EU.

Life looks interesting!!!

The greens don't seem to have spotted this yet to any real extent, but
it may well provoke a few more leave votes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/06/2016 11:40, Tim Streater wrote:
You seem to think that GM is only about Monsanto's ownership of some
seed variety. There's a lot more to it than that.

Yes, but there are a lot more headlines in "evil empire copyrights
seeds" than in "GM rice reduces vitamin deficiency in 3rd world".

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 02 Jun 2016 21:24:48 +0100, Vir Campestris wrote:

On 02/06/2016 11:40, Tim Streater wrote:
You seem to think that GM is only about Monsanto's ownership of some
seed variety. There's a lot more to it than that.

Yes, but there are a lot more headlines in "evil empire copyrights
seeds" than in "GM rice reduces vitamin deficiency in 3rd world".

Do you think Monsanto are concerned with nourishing the Third World?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Look, the real issue here is ownership, its much like anything else, if a
company has made something then they have spent money on it, nobody would
buy it if it were useless now would they?
The problem in my view is one of understanding the situation here.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
"R D S" wrote in message
On Thu, 02 Jun 2016 21:24:48 +0100, Vir Campestris wrote:

On 02/06/2016 11:40, Tim Streater wrote:
You seem to think that GM is only about Monsanto's ownership of some
seed variety. There's a lot more to it than that.

Yes, but there are a lot more headlines in "evil empire copyrights
seeds" than in "GM rice reduces vitamin deficiency in 3rd world".

Do you think Monsanto are concerned with nourishing the Third World?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 5 June 2016 16:35:48 UTC+1, Brian-Gaff wrote:

Look, the real issue here is ownership, its much like anything else, if a
company has made something then they have spent money on it, nobody would
buy it if it were useless now would they?

Vast quantities of useless goods are sold every day. In fact many shops sell nothing else.

The problem in my view is one of understanding the situation here.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/06/2016 14:14, R D S wrote:
On Thu, 02 Jun 2016 21:24:48 +0100, Vir Campestris wrote:

On 02/06/2016 11:40, Tim Streater wrote:
You seem to think that GM is only about Monsanto's ownership of some
seed variety. There's a lot more to it than that.

Yes, but there are a lot more headlines in "evil empire copyrights
seeds" than in "GM rice reduces vitamin deficiency in 3rd world".

Do you think Monsanto are concerned with nourishing the Third World?

I have no idea. But I'm sure journalists want to sell newspapers, which
is where the number of headlines counts.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message

On Sun, 05 Jun 2016 14:40:48 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Sun, 5 Jun 2016 13:14:04 -0000 (UTC), R D S
wrote:

On Thu, 02 Jun 2016 21:24:48 +0100, Vir Campestris wrote:

On 02/06/2016 11:40, Tim Streater wrote:
You seem to think that GM is only about Monsanto's ownership of some
seed variety. There's a lot more to it than that.

Yes, but there are a lot more headlines in "evil empire copyrights
seeds" than in "GM rice reduces vitamin deficiency in 3rd world".

Do you think Monsanto are concerned with nourishing the Third World?

As a means to an end, they undoubtedly are. Lots of Third-Worlders
around these days, an increasing market and increasingly difficult
growing conditions due to climate change. But which is to be
preferred: 2 million kids growing up with vitamin A deficiency and all
that that entails, or Monsanto making shed-loads of profit? At least
in the latter case, some of that profit might be used to develop other
crops with beneficial properties, such as their drought-resistant
maize.

Sorry: for '2 million kids' read '200 million kids'
http://tinyurl.com/hmakapr

Aww, so cute.
Who do you think is responsible for the global obesity crisis?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

The man who invented the refrigerator and the man who invented the
microwave?

windows of my apartment. (I live on the twenty-first floor.) "

Alan Sokal
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message

On Sun, 5 Jun 2016 15:19:49 +0100, "Richard"
wrote:

. ..

wrote:

[...]

You think it's Monsanto?