Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Electric motor query - power and torque

On Wed, 1 Jun 2016 14:06:00 +0100, bert wrote:

I don't think that is correct
The 1 in 4 notation measure the sine of the angle not the tangent.
It's a rise of 1 foot for each 4 feet you travel up the gradient.

um, now not sure. If the gradient is 1:1 (100%) at 45 deg., that suggests
tan. The diagram showed, IIRC, Opp/Adj which I think is Tan.

yes . I always thought it referred to distance along teh map and height
above sea level, which is tan.

Then at some point someone else assured me it was sine, and now we are
back to tan.

The page linked to seems pretty definite that its tan so I'll go with
that for now

I always thought that the 1in 4 style notation was in fact sine, i.e.
opposite over hypotenuse

That would be more useful in the real world, as hypotenuse is measurable on
the road and opposite can be taken from a map. Both of these are needed to
get the adjacent, as that would be difficult to measure without a tunnel.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 01/06/16 16:14, PeterC wrote:
[...]

If you can take opposite from the map why not adjacent?

--
djc

(–€Ì¿Ä¹Ì¯–€Ì¿ Ì¿)
No low-hanging fruit, just a lot of small berries up a tall tree.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/06/16 20:51, DJC wrote:
On 01/06/16 16:14, PeterC wrote:
[...]

In reality a sextant or theodolite can do any of the above

--
€œit should be clear by now to everyone that activist environmentalism
about their freedom, about the relationship between the individual and

Vaclav Klaus
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/06/16 20:51, DJC wrote:
On 01/06/16 16:14, PeterC wrote:
[...]

Indeed. And it might save a lot of angst if we specified gradients in
terms of angle with the horizontal - so my 15% slope would simply be 8.6
degrees - although at small angles like that, there's little difference
between sine and tangent.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 1 Jun 2016 20:51:22 +0100, DJC wrote:

On 01/06/16 16:14, PeterC wrote:
[...]

Of course! Not thinking - too long in The Malt Shovel Tavern!
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away