Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Sellotape in door lock

I used my front door key to open a parcel last night,
shoved said key in the front door lock (euro type) this morning and it
didn't feel right.
Withdrew it and noted it was somewhat laminated in sello/parcel tape,
cleaned it off but there is obviously some in the lock as the key won't
turn.

Hopefully someone will come up with a stroke of genius before I set about
'fixing' it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/05/16 14:49, R D S wrote:
I used my front door key to open a parcel last night,
shoved said key in the front door lock (euro type) this morning and it
didn't feel right.
Withdrew it and noted it was somewhat laminated in sello/parcel tape,
cleaned it off but there is obviously some in the lock as the key won't
turn.

Hopefully someone will come up with a stroke of genius before I set about
'fixing' it.

Although not normally recommended, can you spray WD40 into the lock and
work it with the key? That might soften the gum and dislodge it.

Next level would be brake cleaner (Halfords should have) - very powerful
solvents and may damage your paintwork or uPVC so don't spray it everywhere.

After that, if it clears it enough to open, I'd be inclined to take the
lock barrel out, and give it a good blast through with brake cleaner
from all angles which should clear all the gunk out.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/05/16 15:24, Tim Watts wrote:
On 28/05/16 14:49, R D S wrote:
[...]

Oh and next time, use your work key for opening parcels!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:
Although not normally recommended, can you spray WD40 into the lock and
work it with the key? That might soften the gum and dislodge it.

Next level would be brake cleaner (Halfords should have) - very powerful
solvents and may damage your paintwork or uPVC so don't spray it
everywhere.

After that, if it clears it enough to open, I'd be inclined to take the
lock barrel out, and give it a good blast through with brake cleaner
from all angles which should clear all the gunk out.

I'm a lover of the citrus smelling label removers. Seem to work on most of
this sort of self adhesives without damaging anything else.

Got a few aerosols of it in Lidl - almost gone, if Lidl reads this. ;-)

--
*The severity of the itch is proportional to the reach *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/05/16 14:49, R D S wrote:
I used my front door key to open a parcel last night,

Oh and next time, use your work key for opening parcels!

I have a metal (credit card sized and shaped) multi tool in my wallet
that has an edge just exactly for this purpose.
No works key for me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5/28/2016 3:45 PM, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:
Although not normally recommended, can you spray WD40 into the lock and
work it with the key? That might soften the gum and dislodge it.

Next level would be brake cleaner (Halfords should have) - very powerful
solvents and may damage your paintwork or uPVC so don't spray it
everywhere.

After that, if it clears it enough to open, I'd be inclined to take the
lock barrel out, and give it a good blast through with brake cleaner
from all angles which should clear all the gunk out.

I'm a lover of the citrus smelling label removers. Seem to work on most of
this sort of self adhesives without damaging anything else.

+1, they free up the gum but unfortunately won't soften the substrate,
which is what I suspect is causing the problem. Agree with other advice too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
Although not normally recommended, can you spray WD40 into the lock and
work it with the key? That might soften the gum and dislodge it.

Next level would be brake cleaner (Halfords should have) - very powerful
solvents and may damage your paintwork or uPVC so don't spray it
everywhere.

After that, if it clears it enough to open, I'd be inclined to take the
lock barrel out, and give it a good blast through with brake cleaner
from all angles which should clear all the gunk out.

I'm a lover of the citrus smelling label removers. Seem to work on most of
this sort of self adhesives without damaging anything else.

+1, they free up the gum but unfortunately won't soften the substrate,
which is what I suspect is causing the problem. Agree with other advice too.

Being it's a Eurolock and generally removable with one screw, could
the OP remove it (assuming it would be ok to leave the door insecure
during the process [1]) soak it in something like petrol or acetone,
flush / blow it out and re-lube with graphite lock-lube?

Cheers, T i m

[1] I keep a spare Euro lock just in case one of us loses our front
door key and need to ensure the door is still secure (till it's found
etc).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 28 May 2016 14:52:54 UTC+1, R D S wrote:
I used my front door key to open a parcel last night,
shoved said key in the front door lock (euro type) this morning and it
didn't feel right.
Withdrew it and noted it was somewhat laminated in sello/parcel tape,
cleaned it off but there is obviously some in the lock as the key won't
turn.

Hopefully someone will come up with a stroke of genius before I set about
'fixing' it.

BEWARE
This is a trick used by burglars to gain entry.
They put a sticky stuff in the cylinder so that the pins do not drop to locked position when your key is withdrawn.
The lock can then be opened without a key as the pins remain aligned for opening.
So the burglar comes back later and gets in easily.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:
On Saturday, 28 May 2016 14:52:54 UTC+1, R D S wrote:
I used my front door key to open a parcel last night,
shoved said key in the front door lock (euro type) this morning and it
didn't feel right.
Withdrew it and noted it was somewhat laminated in sello/parcel tape,
cleaned it off but there is obviously some in the lock as the key won't
turn.

Hopefully someone will come up with a stroke of genius before I set about
'fixing' it.

BEWARE
This is a trick used by burglars to gain entry.
They put a sticky stuff in the cylinder so that the pins do not drop to locked position when your key is withdrawn.
The lock can then be opened without a key as the pins remain aligned for opening.
So the burglar comes back later and gets in easily.

Study a lock and you would find this would not work, as you remove the
key pins all move out of unlock position and if they stayed up it would
still be locked. so whoever told you this was telling porkies.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:

[...]

Of course that can only be done once it's unlocked. Otherwise the tongue is in the wrong position to come out. I'd consider the barrel a writeoff.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim wrote:

[...]

Silicone spray is less messy.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:

[...]

Which I believe is the OPs situation.

Otherwise the tongue is in the wrong position to come out.

Quite.

I'd consider the barrel a writeoff.

With it out and soaked in a (plastic) solvent and then dried and
properly (graphite) lubricated I don't see any issues. It's only
'mechanical stuff' after all?

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 29 May 2016 10:10:56 +0100, Capitol wrote:

snip

Being it's a Eurolock and generally removable with one screw, could
the OP remove it (assuming it would be ok to leave the door insecure
during the process [1]) soak it in something like petrol or acetone,
flush / blow it out and re-lube with graphite lock-lube?

[1] I keep a spare Euro lock just in case one of us loses our front
door key and need to ensure the door is still secure (till it's found
etc).

Silicone spray is less messy.

Not to replace a lost key it isn't. ;-)

The problem with spraying anything *into* the lock is where it leaks
out (within the door frame) and if the debris stays in there and
re-hardens when the solvent evaporates.

What you really need to do is dissolve the foreign body in a suitable
solvent (easy to test outside the lock) and then ensure it is flushed
out afterwards.

Not tried it myself mind but that's what I would try before buying a
new lock or potentially making matters worse.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 28/05/2016 14:49, R D S wrote:
I used my front door key to open a parcel last night,
shoved said key in the front door lock (euro type) this morning and it
didn't feel right.
Withdrew it and noted it was somewhat laminated in sello/parcel tape,
cleaned it off but there is obviously some in the lock as the key won't
turn.

Hopefully someone will come up with a stroke of genius before I set about
'fixing' it.

Around £10 at Screwfix for a replacement cylinder ....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 29 May 2016 10:18:53 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
On Sun, 29 May 2016 01:51:08 -0700 (PDT), tabbypurr wrote:

I'd consider the barrel a writeoff.

With it out and soaked in a (plastic) solvent and then dried and
properly (graphite) lubricated I don't see any issues.

I do.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/05/2016 11:09, GB wrote:
On 28/05/2016 14:49, R D S wrote:
I used my front door key to open a parcel last night,
shoved said key in the front door lock (euro type) this morning and it
didn't feel right.
Withdrew it and noted it was somewhat laminated in sello/parcel tape,
cleaned it off but there is obviously some in the lock as the key won't
turn.

Hopefully someone will come up with a stroke of genius before I set about
'fixing' it.

Around £10 at Screwfix for a replacement cylinder ....

+1
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/05/2016 15:24, Tim Watts wrote:
Oh and next time, use your work key for opening parcels!

That is one of the many things a Swiss army knife is for.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 29 May 2016 12:06:39 +0100, Nightjar cpb wrote:

On 28/05/2016 15:24, Tim Watts wrote:
Oh and next time, use your work key for opening parcels!

That is one of the many things a Swiss army knife is for.

Exactly. I have a small one on my key ring.

(and several others; even a SwissCard)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29 May 2016 12:37:21 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

On Sun, 29 May 2016 12:06:39 +0100, Nightjar cpb wrote:

On 28/05/2016 15:24, Tim Watts wrote:
Oh and next time, use your work key for opening parcels!

That is one of the many things a Swiss army knife is for.

Exactly. I have a small one on my key ring.

(and several others; even a SwissCard)

Or a Leatherman PST II that I would think gets used for *something* at
least once each and every day.

Most commonly used implements (in no particular order): Pozi
screwdriver, pliers, blade, file, flat blade screwdrivers (all 3
sizes), rule, scissors and bottle opener. ;-)

It can even be used as a light hammer for tapping things in, on or
off.

I thought I lost it for a while and daughter treated me (as a
surprise, bless her) to a Leatherman Juice XE6 but whilst it covers
all of the tools on the PST II, it's a bit bulkier and just not the
same. ;-(

Luckily the PST II turned up a few days later in the back of the car
and I was a happy chappy again. ;-)

Because I'm often doing 'stuff' I really use it all the time and feel
lost / naked without it (as I wear it on everything except my PJ's).
;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 28 May 2016 15:24:33 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

On 28/05/16 14:49, R D S wrote:
[...]

I WD40'd it, i'm getting reasonable results with that but the key
requires some persuasion.

If it persists i'll give the brake cleaner a try, thanks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 29 May 2016 16:31:35 -0000 (UTC), R D S
wrote:

snip

If it persists i'll give the brake cleaner a try, thanks.

Ideally, with the lock vertical and out of the door (one screw). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

On 28/05/16 14:49, R D S wrote:
I used my front door key to open a parcel last night,

Oh and next time, use your work key for opening parcels!

I have a metal (credit card sized and shaped) multi tool in my wallet
that has an edge just exactly for this purpose.
No works key for me.

I have a cutlery drawer full of metal implements, some with sharp
edges...
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/05/16 14:49, R D S wrote:
I used my front door key to open a parcel last night,
Oh and next time, use your work key for opening parcels!

I have a metal (credit card sized and shaped) multi tool in my wallet
that has an edge just exactly for this purpose.
No works key for me.

I have a cutlery drawer full of metal implements, some with sharp
edges...

No need to shove house keys in (oh er missus, shove..in ;O) ) then .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/05/2016 14:49, R D S wrote:
I used my front door key to open a parcel last night,
shoved said key in the front door lock (euro type) this morning and it
didn't feel right.
Withdrew it and noted it was somewhat laminated in sello/parcel tape,
cleaned it off but there is obviously some in the lock as the key won't
turn.

Hopefully someone will come up with a stroke of genius before I set about
'fixing' it.

Door in direct sunlight ?
May not be the lock innards at all .

Our back door, or rather lock on same, seems to just jam sometimes.
This means the lock keep plate has to be adjusted (there are marked
screws on the door jamb keep plate precisely for this purpose) if the
keep plates are adjusted too far the door rattles .

http://postimg.org/image/gyu6381yj/
As there are sets of latches top and bottom as well as the door lock
there are three of these keep plates.

I feel the sun is heating the frame causing it to expand in some way
this prevents the bolt from sliding easily so the keep plate must be
adjusted.

Getting the lock to open when in this state requires repeated
attempts to unlock the door and a bit more force than I am comfortable
with so also requires an attack of 'the braves'.