Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.comp.homebuilt

Default USB risk (slightly OT)

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...hacking-threat

FFS how difficult would it be for IOS / Android to pop up a message
saying "Is it OK to talk to this port, or should I just get power?"
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.comp.homebuilt

On Fri, 27 May 2016 21:42:59 +0100, newshound
wrote:

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...hacking-threat

FFS how difficult would it be for IOS / Android to pop up a message
saying "Is it OK to talk to this port, or should I just get power?"

iOS does - if it hears data on the line it pops up "Do you want to trust
this computer?", and if you say no it'll just take power. Since 2011, I
think.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
"I clipped your toenails while you slept.
So I could make them part of my COLLECTION."

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.comp.homebuilt

wrote:

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...hacking-threat

FFS how difficult would it be for IOS / Android to pop up a message
saying "Is it OK to talk to this port, or should I just get power?"

iOS does - if it hears data on the line it pops up "Do you want to trust
this computer?", and if you say no it'll just take power. Since 2011, I
think.

Oh, The Inquirer, they're always reliable. And Kaspersky, they've
definitely never tried to spread FUD to sell you their security gear.

At least Kaspersky make it fairly clear that what they're talking about
is the USB device acknowledgement handshake, which *has* to be provided
otherwise your kit isn't USB compatible. And part of that is a unique
identifier like the MAC on a network card.

Then they bait and switch halfway through the article, going from
"Android and Apple Phones Are USB devices That Talk USB shocker!!!!!1!!"
to "a smartphone" without any detail as to what model or OS. Nice.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
207 BC: Chrysippus, Greek stoic philosopher, is believed to have died of
laughter after watching his drunken donkey attempt to eat figs.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.comp.homebuilt

On Fri, 27 May 2016 21:42:59 +0100, newshound wrote:

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...s-and-android-

devices-at-risk-from-usb-charger-data-hacking-threat

FFS how difficult would it be for IOS / Android to pop up a message
saying "Is it OK to talk to this port, or should I just get power?"

My (stock Android) phone does that.

It starts off doing power only, and you ca pull down a menu with the
other options (file transfer, photo transfer, MIDI).

That's a Nexus 5 with Android 6.0.1.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.comp.homebuilt

newshound wrote

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...hacking-threat

FFS how difficult would it be for IOS / Android to pop up a message saying
"Is it OK to talk to this port, or should I just get power?"

iOS does, it asks 'trust this computer' if anything tries to communicate.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.comp.homebuilt

On Fri, 27 May 2016 21:42:59 +0100, newshound wrote:

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...s-and-android-

devices-at-risk-from-usb-charger-data-hacking-threat

FFS how difficult would it be for IOS / Android to pop up a message
saying "Is it OK to talk to this port, or should I just get power?"

Mine - ancient Android - does.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.comp.homebuilt

On 27/05/2016 21:45, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote:
iOS does - if it hears data on the line it pops up "Do you want to trust
this computer?", and if you say no it'll just take power. Since 2011, I
think.

This is an old story. And it can't be fixed.

Device says "I am an Apple keyboard". iOS says that's alright then...

A few chosen "keypresses" later and you've been pwned.

It's the same on all operating systems, with various devices. MS's
autorun is perhaps the worst.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.comp.homebuilt

On Sun, 29 May 2016 21:39:58 +0100, Vir Campestris
wrote:

On 27/05/2016 21:45, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote:
iOS does - if it hears data on the line it pops up "Do you want to trust
this computer?", and if you say no it'll just take power. Since 2011, I
think.

This is an old story. And it can't be fixed.

Device says "I am an Apple keyboard". iOS says that's alright then...

A few chosen "keypresses" later and you've been pwned.

It's the same on all operating systems, with various devices. MS's
autorun is perhaps the worst.

Sure, hardware access almost always gives you ownership of the device -
although Apple at least are working hard at making that untrue, with
encrypted storage, signatures on all executables, and encryption keys
that are only accessible with a microtome and scanning electron
microscope. I don't follow what other manufacturers are up to.

But that's not what this story is on about. It's just FUD. There's no
info here that can't be tracked much more easily by listening to the
devices cellular communication/wifi/bluetooth footprint.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.comp.homebuilt

On 29/05/2016 21:39, Vir Campestris wrote:

It's the same on all operating systems, with various devices. MS's
autorun is perhaps the worst.

Thats probably why windows doesn't autorun by default these days.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.comp.homebuilt

newshound wrote:

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...hacking-threat

FFS how difficult would it be for IOS / Android to pop up a message
saying "Is it OK to talk to this port, or should I just get power?"

That appears to be a trashy website for the hard of thinking. Does
anyone here have anything good to say about it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 27 May 2016 21:43:03 UTC+1, newshound wrote:
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...hacking-threat

FFS how difficult would it be for IOS / Android to pop up a message
saying "Is it OK to talk to this port, or should I just get power?"

I was there when someone plugged an iphone 4 into a PC, and after a bit realised the PC was downloaded data in bulk without any permission or knowledge. Lots of people still use 4s. So that much is certainly real.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote
newshound wrote

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...hacking-threat

FFS how difficult would it be for IOS / Android to pop up a message
saying "Is it OK to talk to this port, or should I just get power?"

I was there when someone plugged an iphone 4 into a PC,
and after a bit realised the PC was downloaded data in bulk

Because permission, in fact instructions, had previously
been given to backup the iphone to the PC.

without any permission or knowledge.

Wrong, as always.

Lots of people still use 4s.

And do have itunes back up their 4s whenever it is plugged
into their PC after having previously not only given permission
to do that, but have in fact told it to do that.

So that much is certainly real.

And so is your completely pig ignorance of why that happens.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 30 May 2016 10:12:53 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
tabbypurr wrote
newshound wrote

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...hacking-threat

FFS how difficult would it be for IOS / Android to pop up a message
saying "Is it OK to talk to this port, or should I just get power?"

I was there when someone plugged an iphone 4 into a PC,
and after a bit realised the PC was downloaded data in bulk

Because permission, in fact instructions, had previously
been given to backup the iphone to the PC.

No they hadn't. But congrats on completely missing the main point.

Rodney's bo--cks snipped.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Monday, 30 May 2016 10:12:53 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
tabbypurr wrote
newshound wrote

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...hacking-threat

FFS how difficult would it be for IOS / Android to pop up a message
saying "Is it OK to talk to this port, or should I just get power?"

I was there when someone plugged an iphone 4 into a PC,
and after a bit realised the PC was downloaded data in bulk

Because permission, in fact instructions, had previously
been given to backup the iphone to the PC.

No they hadn't.

Corse they had.

Kettle risk larkim UK diy 13 April 25th 14 05:40 PM
Risk assessment my arse ARW UK diy 28 December 8th 13 04:24 PM
Risk Of Explsion ? the_constructor[_2_] UK diy 13 July 25th 11 05:46 PM
Risk reminder Arch Woodturning 3 October 22nd 07 03:54 PM