Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Risk reminder

One seldom mentioned woodturning risk that newcomers may not realize and
old timers may neglect is a sharp edge on the turning itself. Be
careful when testing work with your fingers while it's spinning. These
edges can cut like a knife.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Arch wrote:
One seldom mentioned woodturning risk that newcomers may not realize and
old timers may neglect is a sharp edge on the turning itself. Be
careful when testing work with your fingers while it's spinning. These
edges can cut like a knife.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

I have cut my fingers on the sharp corner where the outside of the
bowl meets the top edge, while sanding. Now I knock off the sharpness
as the first step of sanding. It was really shallow like a paper cut,
but stung out of proportion to the damage.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

There's nothing wrong with Southern
California that a rise in the ocean
level wouldn't cure.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I picked up on this point when watching a hat turning demo 5 or more
years ago. The turner commented that he had a closet full of shirts
that had been cut by leaning into the rim of the hats while turning.
Always, on all turnings when I have a sharp edge, I will dull it by
rounding over, or with a slight scraping cut. It only takes a moment,
and if I am going to donate blood, I don't want to do it with this
type of slice.
robo hippy

On Oct 21, 8:44 am, Gerald Ross wrote:
Arch wrote:
One seldom mentioned woodturning risk that newcomers may not realize and
old timers may neglect is a sharp edge on the turning itself. Be
careful when testing work with your fingers while it's spinning. These
edges can cut like a knife.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

I have cut my fingers on the sharp corner where the outside of the
bowl meets the top edge, while sanding. Now I knock off the sharpness
as the first step of sanding. It was really shallow like a paper cut,
but stung out of proportion to the damage.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

There's nothing wrong with Southern
California that a rise in the ocean
level wouldn't cure.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 11:44:14 -0400, Gerald Ross wrote:

Arch wrote:
One seldom mentioned woodturning risk that newcomers may not realize and
old timers may neglect is a sharp edge on the turning itself. Be
careful when testing work with your fingers while it's spinning. These
edges can cut like a knife.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

I have cut my fingers on the sharp corner where the outside of the
bowl meets the top edge, while sanding. Now I knock off the sharpness
as the first step of sanding. It was really shallow like a paper cut,
but stung out of proportion to the damage.

Really good argument for power sanding bowls... and using a soft pad...
I've lost enough little pieces of skin while hand sanding stuff with edges...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reminder Arch Woodturning 6 October 15th 07 05:48 PM
Just a reminder... Suzie-Q Home Repair 0 September 11th 07 11:16 PM
Reminder - Shop Around RonB Woodworking 6 July 8th 06 06:29 AM
Annual Reminder DJ Delorie Woodworking 6 January 3rd 06 03:32 AM