Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Another cupboard project

....although for a friend this time:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Face_frame_cupboard

(first draft, so it may not be English! Feel free to fix if you so desire!)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
...although for a friend this time:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Face_frame_cupboard

(first draft, so it may not be English! Feel free to fix if you so
desire!)

You should be renamed John (NormUK) Rumm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 26 May 2016 02:37:28 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

...although for a friend this time:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Face_frame_cupboard

(first draft, so it may not be English! Feel free to fix if you so desire!)

Nice one (again) and how easy you make it all look / sound. Where is
all the 'first, find a length of pine that is not twisted' or
'struggle to get a sheet of MDF onto the roof of your car ..'. ;-)

If he paints it lime green it will look exactly like the cupboards I
pulled out of this place ~40 years ago!

The problem was then having to strip and re plaster the alcoves as
they had plastered them *after* putting the cupboards and shelves
(that were floorboards) in. ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

...although for a friend this time:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Face_frame_cupboard

(first draft, so it may not be English! Feel free to fix if you so desire!)

Nice one (again) and how easy you make it all look / sound. Where is
all the 'first, find a length of pine that is not twisted' or
'struggle to get a sheet of MDF onto the roof of your car ..'. ;-)

Well there was an element of that... some of the pine I had as 8x1
planks sat on the shelf, and they were fairly twisted, but I could get
enough out of them for the frame. After that I went to the wood shop for
some straight 4x1 for doing the door frames, since I figured that would
not only save time ripping it all down to narrower stuff, but also have
a fighting chance of making flat doors!

The MDF was from stock of a couple of sheets I had bought some months
ago, and struggled to load on the car in a strong wind. But that was
long enough ago that I have blanked it from memory ;-)

I did buy a toolstation sheet goods carrier the other day - that makes
shifting around full sheets of ply etc much easier on your own:

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p60073?table=no

There was also the "measure carefully several times, cut wrong
repeatedly" factor - You might be able to see a join in one of the small
door panels. Where I marked carefully and then cut a tapered panel a
1/2" too narrow at one end[1]. Thought "no problem" I have a MDF offcut
from a previous job that I can use, and this time cut it on the table
saw - so no danger of a tapered cut. Then proceeded to cut that nice and
square but one inch too narrow!

[1] cut using a sawboard and a hand held saw, while working on trestles
in the garden since I ca'r feed 8x4 sheets through my table saw.

If he paints it lime green it will look exactly like the cupboards I
pulled out of this place ~40 years ago!

The problem was then having to strip and re plaster the alcoves as
they had plastered them *after* putting the cupboards and shelves
(that were floorboards) in. ;-)

Yup that's always fun ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

...although for a friend this time:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Face_frame_cupboard

(first draft, so it may not be English! Feel free to fix if you so desire!)

Nice one (again) and how easy you make it all look / sound. Where is
all the 'first, find a length of pine that is not twisted' or
'struggle to get a sheet of MDF onto the roof of your car ..'. ;-)

Well there was an element of that... some of the pine I had as 8x1
planks sat on the shelf, and they were fairly twisted, but I could get
enough out of them for the frame. After that I went to the wood shop for
some straight 4x1 for doing the door frames, since I figured that would
not only save time ripping it all down to narrower stuff, but also have
a fighting chance of making flat doors!

And that's the thing when doing stuff for other people. You spend
a_long_time trying to select the best of what's on offer and use the
best to worst on the job, trying to use the worst on the least visible
bits. Then they see some little thing and question / complain about
it.

The MDF was from stock of a couple of sheets I had bought some months
ago, and struggled to load on the car in a strong wind.

That is fun isn't it (not). ;-)

The fun bit (in a sad way) is watching someone else driving home with
some sheet material on the roof of their car and then seeing it fold
180 degrees around the front most strap. ;-)

But that was
long enough ago that I have blanked it from memory ;-)

The only scars you remember are those you can still see.

I did buy a toolstation sheet goods carrier the other day - that makes
shifting around full sheets of ply etc much easier on your own:

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p60073?table=no

Yeah, I saw them and thought they were a good idea. I think I still
prefer getting helper on the other end (if it's heavy enough to
warrant such etc).

There was also the "measure carefully several times, cut wrong
repeatedly" factor -

'Think thrice, measure twice, cut once'. I didn't do that with some
'Production paper' (?) the other day when I cut it lengthwise rather
than across (to fit a rubber sanding block). ;-(

You might be able to see a join in one of the small
door panels.

I didn't.

Where I marked carefully and then cut a tapered panel a
1/2" too narrow at one end[1]. Thought "no problem" I have a MDF offcut
from a previous job that I can use, and this time cut it on the table
saw - so no danger of a tapered cut. Then proceeded to cut that nice and
square but one inch too narrow!

Doh! It's days like that I generally do something less creative or go
back to bed. ;-)

[1] cut using a sawboard and a hand held saw, while working on trestles
in the garden since I ca'r feed 8x4 sheets through my table saw.

That's when you pop in to check the fit of something and it starts
raining. And it will be MDF and not a bit of pine.

If he paints it lime green it will look exactly like the cupboards I
pulled out of this place ~40 years ago!

The problem was then having to strip and re plaster the alcoves as
they had plastered them *after* putting the cupboards and shelves
(that were floorboards) in. ;-)

Yup that's always fun ;-)

I tell what is fun (as you mention Sketchup in the Wiki and have
helped me with it etc) having the need for something and being able to
design, print and use it quickly and easily. ;-)

Silly little things like my mate got a new CCTV DVR and when he put it
on what was an old CRT TV wall mount the connectors sat on the lip at
the back. The 'feet' were just shallow metal cones so I 'designed' a
couple of 'cups' that sat over (under) the rear feet and jacked it up
by 10mm (bringing the DVR horizontal), stuck them under the DVR with
some d/s tape and put a rubber foot in the middle of this new 'foot'
and solving the problem. Ok, we could have found a strip of wood or
similar to put across the back but this was easier and better. ;-)

So thanks for the leg up a while back. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Airing Cupboard TheOldFellow UK diy 3 December 21st 09 12:42 PM
Cupboard for DVD & Sat box David UK diy 12 May 11th 09 01:21 PM
MDF Cupboard Doors GB UK diy 10 July 2nd 07 11:46 PM
Them kitchen cupboard.. The3rd Earl Of Derby UK diy 2 February 18th 06 11:25 PM
Ventilating my PC in a cupboard Al Reynolds UK diy 25 October 2nd 04 08:30 PM