Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Mums Microwave died.

On Thursday, 26 May 2016 01:26:40 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
On Wed, 25 May 2016 16:29:31 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Thursday, 26 May 2016 00:21:07 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
On Wed, 25 May 2016 12:05:12 -0700 (PDT), tabbypurr wrote:

It's daft what gets dumped.

It is, but you can understand why.

Lack of the most elementary knowledge.

Like I said then.

What about when it says no user servicable parts inside ?

What I regard as basic skill stuff.

Like I said then. What *you*, *I*, and many others here would consider
'rudimentary is rocket science to many.

And yet some repair things because they can, then there's an explosion and the whole house is wrecked. ;-)

Everyone knows time is money, that's not the issue.

It is for some (along with all the other tings I mentioned).

Yes also sometimes money is more important than time, but not always,
sometimes it's the time that's more important.

Throwing out what you paid £60 for because the fuse needs replacing is... well, brainless.

Of course, but that's only valid if you know it's a fuse.

And you know what blew the fuse.
I've had a student here that has blown about 20 1 amp fuses and he has no idea why they are blowing, I would hope that someone that's gets a degree in electronic engineering might be able to figure it out.

I got a
Dyson cylinder cleaner off Freecycle that was 'broken'. The PO had
bought it new, it had gone wrong, they paid yo have it repaired and
later it went wrong again. Not wanting to spend whatever *again*,
they decided to buy a new one. Within about 5 seconds of getting it
home I diagnosed a fractured mains cable where it enters the moulded
plug, cut that off, fitted a new one and it's been fine ever since.

That's good but how would you have felt if after taking it home and spend a while on it to find out it was the motor, so you now have to get rid of it yourself.

So much perfectly good stuff is simply dumped, much of it because people believe a lot of nonsense.

And it's usually those in charge of others and have no practicel skills,
Usually these peole are higher up the salery scale, I wonder why sometimes.

Or don't have the confidence, ability, strength, tools or time to
*try* to fix it themselves.

I wouldn't like to think people always 'fixed' things themselves.

Like the DC04 I saved from the skip tonight.

Unless yuo had permission that makes you a thief doesn't it.

I took the brush out ..

snip

(or have the right tool of course).

Now, if you want to actually change both belts

. etc etc.

Yep sometime these things are just too much hassle, but it;s worth going to the skip because sometimes dyson offer £100 of any exchanged cleaner against a new dyson.

You can still have all the gear but no idea (when or how to use it).

and know how to use it and now you can save money but don;t think it's worth it.

The number of times I've been with other people and asked to borrow
their multimeter to faultfind some equipment they have asked me to
look at, only to be told they don't have one?

Yes strange I know quite a few people that don't own multi-meters.

How can you own a house,
car or any electrical equipment and not own a multimeter! Just the
same as they can own a car and not own a foot pump, battery charger,
some jump leads or even the workshop manual I guess? ;-(

I've managed to live without an iron or an ironing board but I couldn't exist without a soldering iron. :-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/05/16 13:47, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
The Natural Philosopher a écrit :
All Dysons should be dumped.
Britains own Apple. All fashion and form and **** all function.

Yesterday, I saw a local council truck, one of those with a metal cage
around the load, it was absolutely brim full of Dyson vacs. There must
have been hundreds of them. It just seemed odd that there were just
Dyson vacs in there.

Nothing sucks like a dies-soon....

let them."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 26 May 2016 13:47:09 +0100, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

The Natural Philosopher a écrit :
All Dysons should be dumped.
Britains own Apple. All fashion and form and **** all function.

Yesterday, I saw a local council truck, one of those with a metal cage
around the load, it was absolutely brim full of Dyson vacs. There must
have been hundreds of them. It just seemed odd that there were just
Dyson vacs in there.

I wonder if they have someone who will buy them off the Council /
Refuse_site_franchise to refurbish them?

In the old days you could buy that sort of thing from the tip, often
for just a couple of quid but now Elfin Safety won't let you.

Luckily we still have Freecycle. The stepdaughter came round and
mentioned her vacuum cleaner wasn't very good (even from new).

I had quick look on Freecycle and someone was offering a Dyson
multi-cyclone jobby locally. Long-short, got it home an hour later,
cleaned it out with the Henry and it was working as good as new. I
didn't let her take it but stripped it down completely and washed all
the plastic bits in the bath and after that it also looked like new.
She's still using it a few years later. ;-)

I've only ever bought one Dyson new (DC-01) and we don't really use it
much, preferring the Miele Big Cat n Dog for the main stuff (mainly
because it's quieter), the Dyson cylinder I got off Freecycle for the
car / stairs and the Henry for the heavier stuff.

We are considering a portable of some sort and have a little Lidl
Lithium jobby (that looks very much like the old B&D Dust Buster) but
it's pretty useless. I can't really justify the price of the Dyson
portables but not sure what else there is out there?

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 26 May 2016 05:57:40 -0700 (PDT), whisky-dave
wrote:

On Thursday, 26 May 2016 01:26:40 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
On Wed, 25 May 2016 16:29:31 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Thursday, 26 May 2016 00:21:07 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
On Wed, 25 May 2016 12:05:12 -0700 (PDT), tabbypurr wrote:

It's daft what gets dumped.

It is, but you can understand why.

Lack of the most elementary knowledge.

Like I said then.

What about when it says no user servicable parts inside ?

Who takes any notice of that? ;-)

What I regard as basic skill stuff.

Like I said then. What *you*, *I*, and many others here would consider
'rudimentary is rocket science to many.

And yet some repair things because they can, then there's an explosion and the whole house is wrecked. ;-)

Ah, there are also people out there who don't know their own limits.
;-(

Everyone knows time is money, that's not the issue.

It is for some (along with all the other tings I mentioned).

Yes also sometimes money is more important than time, but not always,
sometimes it's the time that's more important.

Quite.

Throwing out what you paid £60 for because the fuse needs replacing is... well, brainless.

Of course, but that's only valid if you know it's a fuse.

And you know what blew the fuse.

Yup.

I've had a student here that has blown about 20 1 amp fuses and he has no idea why they are blowing, I would hope that someone that's gets a degree in electronic engineering might be able to figure it out.

Hehe.

I got a
Dyson cylinder cleaner off Freecycle that was 'broken'. The PO had
bought it new, it had gone wrong, they paid yo have it repaired and
later it went wrong again. Not wanting to spend whatever *again*,
they decided to buy a new one. Within about 5 seconds of getting it
home I diagnosed a fractured mains cable where it enters the moulded
plug, cut that off, fitted a new one and it's been fine ever since.

That's good but how would you have felt if after taking it home and spend a while on it to find out it was the motor, so you now have to get rid of it yourself.

I would have felt that at least I tried. I work on the basis that I
have little to lose and potentially quite a lot to gain.

So much perfectly good stuff is simply dumped, much of it because people believe a lot of nonsense.

And it's usually those in charge of others and have no practicel skills,

Often but not always. I have been lucky where most of the places I've
work my bosses had been there and done that etc.

Usually these peole are higher up the salery scale, I wonder why sometimes.

Indeed.

Or don't have the confidence, ability, strength, tools or time to
*try* to fix it themselves.

I wouldn't like to think people always 'fixed' things themselves.

Me too mate but it's rarely the case (as I know as I'm often the one
fixing it for them).

Like the DC04 I saved from the skip tonight.

Unless yuo had permission that makes you a thief doesn't it.

No. I did it for the owner who was going to throw it in the skip, had
I / we got it working. ;-)

I took the brush out ..

snip

(or have the right tool of course).

Now, if you want to actually change both belts

. etc etc.

Yep sometime these things are just too much hassle, but it;s worth going to the skip because sometimes dyson offer £100 of any exchanged cleaner against a new dyson.

Yes, that's true (and a good point if I get a Dyson portable). ;-)

You can still have all the gear but no idea (when or how to use it).

and know how to use it and now you can save money but don;t think it's worth it.

Yup. And whilst I'm the worst for investing time and money in what
most might call 'lost causes', even I have lines that I have to draw.

The number of times I've been with other people and asked to borrow
their multimeter to faultfind some equipment they have asked me to
look at, only to be told they don't have one?

Yes strange I know quite a few people that don't own multi-meters.

Maybe that's because I have had and used one since I was about 10 and
couldn't really live (my current life) without one (several). ;-)

How can you own a house,
car or any electrical equipment and not own a multimeter! Just the
same as they can own a car and not own a foot pump, battery charger,
some jump leads or even the workshop manual I guess? ;-(

I've managed to live without an iron or an ironing board but I couldn't exist without a soldering iron. :-)

Hehe, same here Dave. In fact I can't think of the last time any of us
ironed any of our clothes and the last time I used an iron was either
putting on some edging or salvaging wet pages on a car handbook or
somesuch. ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 26 May 2016 14:27:57 UTC+1, T i m wrote:

We are considering a portable of some sort and have a little Lidl
Lithium jobby (that looks very much like the old B&D Dust Buster) but
it's pretty useless.

I had one at home and one at work.

I can't really justify the price of the Dyson
portables but not sure what else there is out there?

I've got two dysons at home and one at work.
I got the new dyson fluffy at work, I want one of them at home now.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 26 May 2016 14:27:57 UTC+1, T i m wrote:

I can't really justify the price of the Dyson
portables but not sure what else there is out there?

Forgot to say that people have used dust pans/brooms for millenia and they are very cheap in fact you can make your own, whehter it will work as well as a dyson depends on yuor POV just like being in or out of the EU.

This should be the debate anthem.
The Clash :- Should I say or should I go.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqH21LEmfbQ

Should I stay or should I go now...
If I stay they will be trouble, if I leave it will be double....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 26 May 2016 06:55:43 -0700 (PDT), whisky-dave
wrote:

On Thursday, 26 May 2016 14:27:57 UTC+1, T i m wrote:

We are considering a portable of some sort and have a little Lidl
Lithium jobby (that looks very much like the old B&D Dust Buster) but
it's pretty useless.

I had one at home and one at work.

Ok.

I can't really justify the price of the Dyson
portables but not sure what else there is out there?

I've got two dysons at home and one at work.
I got the new dyson fluffy at work, I want one of them at home now.

Ok, so what's so special about the 'Fluffy' over the 'Absolute, Total
Clean or Animal' (apart from it sounding a bit lame that is). ;-)

Would it last long enough to actually clean a car out to a reasonable
level?

What would you say are it's strong and weal points in real-world use?

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 26 May 2016 07:26:22 -0700 (PDT), whisky-dave
wrote:

On Thursday, 26 May 2016 14:27:57 UTC+1, T i m wrote:

I can't really justify the price of the Dyson
portables but not sure what else there is out there?

Forgot to say that people have used dust pans/brooms for millenia and they are very cheap in fact you can make your own, whehter it will work as well as a dyson depends on yuor POV

snip

Quite, and people (often with stone / dirt floors) are still using
bundles of twigs lashed together but I'm not sure how well they would
get into the nooks and crannies on the car? ;-)

I might try what our daughter does and clean the front of her van out
with a leaf blower. ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 25 May 2016 16:29:31 -0700 (PDT), tabbypurr wrote:
On Thursday, 26 May 2016 00:21:07 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
On Wed, 25 May 2016 12:05:12 -0700 (PDT), tabbypurr wrote:

It's daft what gets dumped.

It is, but you can understand why.

Lack of the most elementary knowledge.

Like I said then.

What I regard as basic skill stuff.

Like I said then. What *you*, *I*, and many others here would consider
'rudimentary is rocket science to many.

Everyone knows time is money, that's not the issue.

It is for some (along with all the other tings I mentioned).

Throwing out what you paid £60 for because the fuse needs replacing is... well, brainless.

Of course, but that's only valid if you know it's a fuse. I got a
Dyson cylinder cleaner off Freecycle that was 'broken'. The PO had
bought it new, it had gone wrong, they paid yo have it repaired and
later it went wrong again. Not wanting to spend whatever *again*,
they decided to buy a new one. Within about 5 seconds of getting it
home I diagnosed a fractured mains cable where it enters the moulded
plug, cut that off, fitted a new one and it's been fine ever since.

So much perfectly good stuff is simply dumped, much of it because people believe a lot of nonsense.

Or don't have the confidence, ability, strength, tools or time to
*try* to fix it themselves.

Like the DC04 I saved from the skip tonight. It was pretty well used
and the symptoms were that the brush wasn't rotating. It rotated when
you turned it by hand so it was presumed it wasn't seized.

I took the brush out (hard whilst the belt was in place) and span the
brush on it's bearing and could now fee that the bearings were tight.
How would anyone not familiar with such thinks know what felt 'right'
or not. I then pulled one end cap off, the shaft out of the brush and
then felt each bearing to find one nearly seized and noted the shaft
had been spinning in the bearing. How would any non engineer spot
that? I then rinsed the bearings though with some WD40 and blew them
out with an airline. I then put a drop of engine oil on each and
worked it in (for now).

Now, you can buy a new brush with new bearings and belts for about 7
quid on eBay and the parts individually for much more. The bets are
worn, the brush is worn, the shaft is worn and the bearings are worn.
So, you don't need to have the skills to understand how it goes
together or how to (try to) fix it, but you do have to know that you
can get the brush out with the belt on, as long as you can pull it
hard enough (or have the right tool of course).

Now, if you want to actually change both belts you have to get the
clutch out and strip that down (maybe another 10 parts) and put it all
back together again in the right order. Or you can buy a complete new
clutch with belts fitted for about 15 quid. However, that is only any
use if you have a long T15 driver and can get the knob off the
selector ... etc etc.

How many people would spend say £120 on a charger to help a friend
test a 36V Lithium battery pack ... or spend similar on a car coolant
pressure test kit that they may only use once (even if it would cost
60 quid to get done in the garage)?

You can still have all the gear but no idea (when or how to use it).

The number of times I've been with other people and asked to borrow
their multimeter to faultfind some equipment they have asked me to
look at, only to be told they don't have one? How can you own a house,
car or any electrical equipment and not own a multimeter! Just the
same as they can own a car and not own a foot pump, battery charger,
some jump leads or even the workshop manual I guess? ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Kids should generally get some basic mechanical competence during their teens or earlier. Mountains of waste result from not doing so.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 26 May 2016 08:01:44 UTC+1, T i m wrote:

Will she remember that 10% is the same as the 'Defrost' position on
her old one. Will she remember / work out how to set it to 10%?

Defrost is 30% almost always, very occasionally 40%.

The problem is you can't really try these things in the shops.

Electronically controlled ones add more failures & more complexity. The ability to set it to 2 stage cooking is in practice pretty useless. How often are you not present when the 2nd program needs to start?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 26 May 2016 13:57:42 UTC+1, whisky-dave wrote:

And yet some repair things because they can, then there's an explosion and the whole house is wrecked. ;-)

and which domestic appliances do you believe contain a bomb? Too silly.

Lots more silliness snipped.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 27 May 2016 00:36:35 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

snip

You can still have all the gear but no idea (when or how to use it).

The number of times I've been with other people and asked to borrow
their multimeter to faultfind some equipment they have asked me to
look at, only to be told they don't have one? How can you own a house,
car or any electrical equipment and not own a multimeter! Just the
same as they can own a car and not own a foot pump, battery charger,
some jump leads or even the workshop manual I guess? ;-(

Kids should generally get some basic mechanical competence during their teens or earlier. Mountains of waste result from not doing so.

Agreed.

The problem is, once you have a generation of people who aren't 'hands
on', the chances are their offspring will end up the same.

We involved our child in whatever we were doing where appropriate, be
it cooking to painting, working on a motorbike or helping me build a
bench for the workshop.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5772409/bench.jpg

How many parents today have built a dolls house with their child
(getting them to cut out all the smaller parts on a vibro saw), or got
them soldering up an LED based project when they were 5?

If the parents can't do those things, how can you expect them to do
them with their kids so where will the kids learn about such things?

I was lucky because I was brought up in an age when most people did
some stuff (at least) and when being given a small woodworking kit for
my birthday present was something I wanted, used and appreciated.

I learned at an early age that if it was raining and there was nowhere
better it was perfectly 'acceptable' for someone to work on their
Lambretta in the kitchen (my Uncle) or their bicycle (many people) or
grind the valves on their Triumph Vitesse (my mate in my lounge) or
the same on our kitcar (my Mrs in our kitchen).

Now houses aren't for doing the things we do in, they are supposed to
be empty, clinical show homes that never seem to see a meal cooked,
let alone a bicycle serviced. ;-(

Given the nature of this group, I wonder how many here would (or would
be allowed to if with someone) do any of that sort of work in their
houses?

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Thursday, 26 May 2016 08:01:44 UTC+1, T i m wrote:

Will she remember that 10% is the same as the 'Defrost' position on
her old one. Will she remember / work out how to set it to 10%?

Defrost is 30% almost always, very occasionally 40%.

The problem is you can't really try these things in the shops.

Electronically controlled ones add more failures & more complexity.

The ability to set it to 2 stage cooking is in practice pretty useless.

Bull****. I use it all the time for cooking rice.

How often are you not present when the 2nd program needs to start?

Irrelevant. I much prefer to set it all up at once, get it out of the
microwave when its ready to eat. I eat it out of what its cooked in.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"T i m" wrote in message
[...]

I do it all the time. And do quite a bit of other stuff like brewing 18
months
of beer, distilling alcohol, making 2 years supply of marmalade, 6 months
supply of relish and in fact designed and built the entire house on a bare
block of land too. Used to do quite a bit of work on the cars too, but don't
need to anymore given that modern cars need a lot less work done on them.
Did that outside, but only because I don't have a garage to do it in.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 27 May 2016 19:52:02 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

wrote in message
On Thursday, 26 May 2016 08:01:44 UTC+1, T i m wrote:

Will she remember that 10% is the same as the 'Defrost' position on
her old one. Will she remember / work out how to set it to 10%?

Defrost is 30% almost always, very occasionally 40%.

The problem is you can't really try these things in the shops.

Electronically controlled ones add more failures & more complexity.

The ability to set it to 2 stage cooking is in practice pretty useless.

Bull****. I use it all the time for cooking rice.

How / why do you do that then OOI? I ask because I don't think I've
ever cooked rice in a microwave (I've heated the ready cooked stuff
loads of times).

How often are you not present when the 2nd program needs to start?

Irrelevant. I much prefer to set it all up at once, get it out of the
microwave when its ready to eat.

I can see more (but limited for my Mum) use for that than the 24hr
timer.

I eat it out of what its cooked in.

You eat it out of the microwave? ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

wrote in message
On Thursday, 26 May 2016 08:01:44 UTC+1, T i m wrote:

Will she remember that 10% is the same as the 'Defrost' position on
her old one. Will she remember / work out how to set it to 10%?

Defrost is 30% almost always, very occasionally 40%.

The problem is you can't really try these things in the shops.

Electronically controlled ones add more failures & more complexity.

The ability to set it to 2 stage cooking is in practice pretty useless.

Bull****. I use it all the time for cooking rice.

How / why do you do that then OOI?

I weigh out 30g of rice, 110g of water, give it 2 mins on high, 10
mins on mid-low, in a covered square container that it is eaten
out of when the other stuff like curry is added after rice is cooked.
That is the absorption method, no water is present once the rice
is cooked.

I do it like that because its much easier to do that than
doing the rice in a saucepan and there is nothing extra
that needs to washed that was used to cook the rice.

Completely reliable every time once you get the detail of the
weights and times right. No personal intervention required.

I ask because I don't think I've ever cooked rice in a microwave
(I've heated the ready cooked stuff loads of times).

How often are you not present when the 2nd program needs to start?

Irrelevant. I much prefer to set it all up at once,
get it out of the microwave when its ready to eat.

I can see more (but limited for my Mum) use for that than the 24hr timer.

Sure, but both can be handy.

I eat it out of what its cooked in.

You eat it out of the microwave? ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 27 May 2016 21:07:01 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

snip

How / why do you do that then OOI?

I weigh out 30g of rice, 110g of water, give it 2 mins on high, 10
mins on mid-low, in a covered square container that it is eaten
out of when the other stuff like curry is added after rice is cooked.

Do you mean cooked / heated curry or you then heat that with the rice?

That is the absorption method, no water is present once the rice
is cooked.

Understood.

I do it like that because its much easier to do that than
doing the rice in a saucepan and there is nothing extra
that needs to washed that was used to cook the rice.

Ok.

Completely reliable every time once you get the detail of the
weights and times right.

That sounds like key. What wattage is your oven?

No personal intervention required.

Nice.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote
Rod Speed wrote
T i m wrote

How / why do you do that then OOI?

I weigh out 30g of rice, 110g of water, give it 2 mins on high, 10
mins on mid-low, in a covered square container that it is eaten
out of when the other stuff like curry is added after rice is cooked.

Do you mean cooked / heated curry

Yep.

or you then heat that with the rice?

Nope.

That is the absorption method, no water
is present once the rice is cooked.

Understood.

I do it like that because its much easier to do that than
doing the rice in a saucepan and there is nothing extra
that needs to washed that was used to cook the rice.

Ok.

Completely reliable every time once you
get the detail of the weights and times right.

That sounds like key. What wattage is your oven?

Its 40 years old now, not clear what its putting out now.

No personal intervention required.

Nice.

Yeah, works very well.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 27 May 2016 20:13:23 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

snip

Given the nature of this group, I wonder how many here would (or would
be allowed to if with someone) do any of that sort of work in their
houses?

I do it all the time. And do quite a bit of other stuff like brewing 18
months
of beer,

Yup, that's another thing you don't hear much about these days. I
still have all my 'Home brew' stuff.

distilling alcohol,

Yeee harr! ;-)

making 2 years supply of marmalade, 6 months
supply of relish

We have some friends that do some of that (mainly older).

and in fact designed and built the entire house on a bare
block of land too.

You have said.

Used to do quite a bit of work on the cars too, but don't
need to anymore given that modern cars need a lot less work done on them.

But still some, depending on the car and the environment etc.

Did that outside, but only because I don't have a garage to do it in.

We built the kitcar outside for the same reason.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 27 May 2016 10:00:24 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
On Fri, 27 May 2016 00:36:35 -0700 (PDT), tabbypurr wrote:

snip

[...]

Some route is needed. Today there is the maker scene.

[...]

I pity those that chose a diy incompatible SO.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 27 May 2016 08:50:07 UTC+1, wrote:
On Thursday, 26 May 2016 13:57:42 UTC+1, whisky-dave wrote:

And yet some repair things because they can, then there's an explosion and the whole house is wrecked. ;-)

and which domestic appliances do you believe contain a bomb? Too silly.

Non that I know of but gas applainces seem to explode even though they don;t contain a bomb.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 2 June 2016 10:39:21 UTC+1, whisky-dave wrote:
On Friday, 27 May 2016 08:50:07 UTC+1, tabbypurr wrote:
On Thursday, 26 May 2016 13:57:42 UTC+1, whisky-dave wrote:

And yet some repair things because they can, then there's an explosion and the whole house is wrecked. ;-)

and which domestic appliances do you believe contain a bomb? Too silly.

Non that I know of but gas applainces seem to explode even though they don;t contain a bomb.

AIUI we were discussing electrical appliances. Gas cookers, cars, nuclear reactors etc are all different animals. This is not worth continuing with.

NT