Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default EPC - what's the point?

As per my recent posts re energy consumption I've been looking at my
EPC as I only bought the house a few months ago.

So it says my Lighting, Heating and Hot Water Estimated Current costs
come to £3,468 which I could potentially reduce to £2,100 if I spend a
few hundreds to thousands of pounds (no I'm not going to put a solid
floor in).

This figure excludes TV, computers and cookers.

My estimate of my bills for the year with my current supplier is
£1,200 which will reduce to about £800 when I finish switching
suppliers.

So what's the point of the EPC which seems just a work of fiction?

--
AnthonyL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/05/16 13:25, AnthonyL wrote:
As per my recent posts re energy consumption I've been looking at my
EPC as I only bought the house a few months ago.

So it says my Lighting, Heating and Hot Water Estimated Current costs
come to £3,468 which I could potentially reduce to £2,100 if I spend a
few hundreds to thousands of pounds (no I'm not going to put a solid
floor in).

This figure excludes TV, computers and cookers.

My estimate of my bills for the year with my current supplier is
£1,200 which will reduce to about £800 when I finish switching
suppliers.

So what's the point of the EPC which seems just a work of fiction?

You realise that men in suits will be outside your door in a few minutes
for blowing the whistle...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/05/2016 13:25, AnthonyL wrote:
As per my recent posts re energy consumption I've been looking at my
EPC as I only bought the house a few months ago.

So it says my Lighting, Heating and Hot Water Estimated Current costs
come to £3,468 which I could potentially reduce to £2,100 if I spend a
few hundreds to thousands of pounds (no I'm not going to put a solid
floor in).

This figure excludes TV, computers and cookers.

My estimate of my bills for the year with my current supplier is
£1,200 which will reduce to about £800 when I finish switching
suppliers.

So what's the point of the EPC which seems just a work of fiction?

It is not unreasonable to take the running costs of a house into account
when making a purchase.

The figure of £3,468 assumes the house is fully occupied with heating at
"normal" temperatures.

Of course, if your name is Scrooge, then is quite easy to reduce these
bills by not washing, and live in an unheated environment.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
AnthonyL wrote:
My estimate of my bills for the year with my current supplier is
£1,200 which will reduce to about £800 when I finish switching
suppliers.

Must be an extremely well insulated and or small house if your total bills
are 800 quid a year.

--
*I don't believe in astrology. I am a Sagittarius and we're very skeptical.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/05/2016 13:25, AnthonyL wrote:
As per my recent posts re energy consumption I've been looking at my
EPC as I only bought the house a few months ago.

So it says my Lighting, Heating and Hot Water Estimated Current costs
come to £3,468 which I could potentially reduce to £2,100 if I spend a
few hundreds to thousands of pounds (no I'm not going to put a solid
floor in).

This figure excludes TV, computers and cookers.

My estimate of my bills for the year with my current supplier is
£1,200 which will reduce to about £800 when I finish switching
suppliers.

So what's the point of the EPC which seems just a work of fiction?

As you say a work of fiction, I've just had one done for my flat, prior
to selling.

Some of the recommended measures:

to change the existing storage heaters at cost of £1200 to save £129
over three years!

A Heat recovery system for mixer showers (indicative cost £550 - £725)
projected saving £19.

Need I go on...

Peter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
AnthonyL wrote:
My estimate of my bills for the year with my current supplier is
£1,200 which will reduce to about £800 when I finish switching
suppliers.

Must be an extremely well insulated and or small house if your total bills
are 800 quid a year.

There's something not quite right here.

On the figures which were given before, the OP should be paying
a fortune and having to open the windows to avoid heat exhaustion.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/05/2016 13:45, Peter Andrews wrote:

As you say a work of fiction, I've just had one done for my flat, prior
to selling.

Some of the recommended measures:

to change the existing storage heaters at cost of £1200 to save £129
over three years!

A Heat recovery system for mixer showers (indicative cost £550 - £725)
projected saving £19.

Need I go on...

Isn't it a throwback from Labours "lets invent pointless jobs and give
them to clueless so and so's to ponce around for a day counting bulbs
and tutting while filling in a tick sheet that has no element of
intelligent input?

Is that a bit harsh?

The one that did ours as a regulation for F.I.T. (can of worms) refused
to acknowledge that the whole of the living area i.e. "main heating" was
UFH on 4 zones, on a weather compensating boiler with MAX possible water
temp set to 50 degrees but instead said "Sorry Sir, you have radiators
in the bedroom so we have to ignore underfloor heating or the fact that
your radiators run at UFH temperatures and state that your house is
primarily heated by radiators"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
Isn't it a throwback from Labours "lets invent pointless jobs and give
them to clueless so and so's to ponce around for a day counting bulbs
and tutting while filling in a tick sheet that has no element of
intelligent input?

Is that a bit harsh?

The idea is to give an easy comparison between houses. Not to tell you
what your bills will be, as that depends so much on individual usage.

Rather like official MPG figures on a car. Only a fool thinks that is the
MPG he will get under all conditions, but may be useful to compare cars
when buying.

--
*On the seventh day He brewed beer *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 24 May 2016 13:40:50 +0100, Fredxxx wrote:

[...]

We are retired, both home and my wife likes a warm house. A local
energy supplier was taken aback when I said I was expecting to use the
amount I had forecast. Putting the sq m into one of the energy
supplier's gave a gas figure of ~£600 and electric of ~£250. They
want me to pay montly average so they are not going to underestimate.

--
AnthonyL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 24 May 2016 13:45:26 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
AnthonyL wrote:
My estimate of my bills for the year with my current supplier is
£1,200 which will reduce to about £800 when I finish switching
suppliers.

Must be an extremely well insulated and or small house if your total bills
are 800 quid a year.

Detached Bungalow - 98 sq m - flat roof extension in 1972. Taking up
someone's recommendation in the other thread to switch gas saving
almost 1/3.

--
AnthonyL

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/05/2016 13:25, AnthonyL wrote:
As per my recent posts re energy consumption I've been looking at my
EPC as I only bought the house a few months ago.

So it says my Lighting, Heating and Hot Water Estimated Current costs
come to £3,468 which I could potentially reduce to £2,100 if I spend a
few hundreds to thousands of pounds (no I'm not going to put a solid
floor in).

This figure excludes TV, computers and cookers.

My estimate of my bills for the year with my current supplier is
£1,200 which will reduce to about £800 when I finish switching
suppliers.

So what's the point of the EPC which seems just a work of fiction?

Ahem, dare I ask if you have quoted the figures from the EPC for the
estimated energy costs for *three* years?

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 24 May 2016 14:34:07 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
Isn't it a throwback from Labours "lets invent pointless jobs and give
them to clueless so and so's to ponce around for a day counting bulbs
and tutting while filling in a tick sheet that has no element of
intelligent input?

Is that a bit harsh?

The idea is to give an easy comparison between houses. Not to tell you
what your bills will be, as that depends so much on individual usage.

Rather like official MPG figures on a car. Only a fool thinks that is the
MPG he will get under all conditions, but may be useful to compare cars
when buying.

The mpg figure used to be useful until it all got messed about a few
years ago. You can't even use them to compare cars, or at least cars
from different eras.

My 2002 Ford Focus and my 2010 Ford Focus have nominally the same mpg.

My 2002 Ford Focus barely cared whether the climate was hot or cold,
the engine was hot or cold, I did 50, 60, 70 or whatever mpg, long or
short trips. It consistenly returned 40mpg, better on longer runs
even if I was faster.

The new Focus's consumption goes rapidly up once I'm not doing 50mph,
not hot, not on the flat. I struggle to get 34mpg. But at 50mph on
the flat on a warm day with a warm engine it does the same as the old.

It's all poppycock, marketing and spin created by bureaucrats with the
same lop-sided un-useful thinking that created an EPC that bears no
relationship to any reality.

--
AnthonyL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/05/2016 15:03, AnthonyL wrote:
[...]

I had assumed you lived by yourself in a big mansion!

Most complaints are the other way round, where purchasers have found
insulation missing or other issues.

My instinct is they got the whole survey utterly wrong. They work with
a standard program. I haven't looked but are there any online equivalents?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/05/2016 15:05, AnthonyL wrote:
On Tue, 24 May 2016 13:45:26 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
AnthonyL wrote:
My estimate of my bills for the year with my current supplier is
£1,200 which will reduce to about £800 when I finish switching
suppliers.

Must be an extremely well insulated and or small house if your total bills
are 800 quid a year.

Detached Bungalow - 98 sq m - flat roof extension in 1972. Taking up
someone's recommendation in the other thread to switch gas saving
almost 1/3.

Can I suggest you look at this:
http://www.uk-ncm.org.uk/disclaimer.jsp

The URL name is not significant, but the actual program if you click on
accept is.

If you do get to use it and input your figures, do let us know!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 24 May 2016 15:07:38 +0100, Robin wrote:

On 24/05/2016 13:25, AnthonyL wrote:
As per my recent posts re energy consumption I've been looking at my
EPC as I only bought the house a few months ago.

So it says my Lighting, Heating and Hot Water Estimated Current costs
come to £3,468 which I could potentially reduce to £2,100 if I spend a
few hundreds to thousands of pounds (no I'm not going to put a solid
floor in).

This figure excludes TV, computers and cookers.

My estimate of my bills for the year with my current supplier is
£1,200 which will reduce to about £800 when I finish switching
suppliers.

So what's the point of the EPC which seems just a work of fiction?

Ahem, dare I ask if you have quoted the figures from the EPC for the
estimated energy costs for *three* years?

Blush, Face-Palm Fluck Fluck Fluck and apologies to all and sundry and
beurocrats alike. I shall now retire hurt.

--
AnthonyL

Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 24/05/16 13:45, Peter Andrews wrote:
[...]

Internal or external wall insulation
Indicative cost £4,000 - £14,000 Typical savings over 3 years £ 105
that for a mid-floor flat!

Replace boiler with new condensing boiler:£2,200 - £3,000 saving over 3
years £ 42 . I already have a condensing boiler

Peter

--
djc

(–€Ì¿Ä¹Ì¯–€Ì¿ Ì¿)
No low-hanging fruit, just a lot of small berries up a tall tree.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

AnthonyL wrote:

what's the point of the EPC which seems just a work of fiction?

Got it in one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/05/2016 13:25, AnthonyL wrote:
As per my recent posts re energy consumption I've been looking at my
EPC as I only bought the house a few months ago.

So it says my Lighting, Heating and Hot Water Estimated Current costs
come to £3,468 which I could potentially reduce to £2,100 if I spend a
few hundreds to thousands of pounds (no I'm not going to put a solid
floor in).

This figure excludes TV, computers and cookers.

My estimate of my bills for the year with my current supplier is
£1,200 which will reduce to about £800 when I finish switching
suppliers.

So what's the point of the EPC which seems just a work of fiction?

Short answer, in reality - none.

It became a create work scheme for the all the "inspectors" who were
sold a dummy on the whole home buyers report idea.

One might argue that it gives some useful information to a prospective
purchaser, but since they are so often complete works of guesswork that
bear no resemblance to reality, the practical value is nil.

Last place I sold, the inspector made all kinds of assumptions about the
construction... Some were right - like correctly assuming that the place
had solid walls. But then also assuming that the loft conversion was the
same. Even though I pointed out to him that I had built it to modern
insulation standards, could show him photos, and even a full set of heat
loss calcs that I had done (the heat loss from the entire new storey was
less than that from the front room alone on the ground floor!). But no,
he was "not permitted" to take other information into account that he
could no see for himself.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
Isn't it a throwback from Labours "lets invent pointless jobs and give
them to clueless so and so's to ponce around for a day counting bulbs
and tutting while filling in a tick sheet that has no element of
intelligent input?

Is that a bit harsh?

The idea is to give an easy comparison between houses. Not to tell you
what your bills will be, as that depends so much on individual usage.

Rather like official MPG figures on a car. Only a fool thinks that is the
MPG he will get under all conditions, but may be useful to compare cars
when buying.

Its not much cop as a "like for like" comparison if they make blanket
assumptions about a place and hence assume its the "same as the
neighbours). Say giving the the same rating to two adjoining properties
when one has solid walls with U value of 2.2 and the next door place is
fully dry lined with a U vaue of under 0.25

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
Isn't it a throwback from Labours "lets invent pointless jobs and give
them to clueless so and so's to ponce around for a day counting bulbs
and tutting while filling in a tick sheet that has no element of
intelligent input?

Is that a bit harsh?

The idea is to give an easy comparison between houses. Not to tell you
what your bills will be, as that depends so much on individual usage.

Rather like official MPG figures on a car. Only a fool thinks that is the
MPG he will get under all conditions, but may be useful to compare cars
when buying.

Does anyone buy a car on the MPG figures?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 24 May 2016 19:07:39 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
Does anyone buy a car on the MPG figures?

It's certainly an important factor for people who do a high mileage and who pay for their fuel.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/05/2016 19:07, ARW wrote:

Rather like official MPG figures on a car. Only a fool thinks that is the
MPG he will get under all conditions, but may be useful to compare cars
when buying.

Does anyone buy a car on the MPG figures?

Likewise a house?

"Oh it's perfect, views to die for, peaceful neighbourhood, everything
we were looking for and the price is in our budget"

"Sorry luv. we can't buy it it's only rated band D on it's EPC"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ARW wrote:
Rather like official MPG figures on a car. Only a fool thinks that is
the MPG he will get under all conditions, but may be useful to compare
cars when buying.

Does anyone buy a car on the MPG figures?

Apparently, yes. Otherwise no need for makers to fiddle them.

--
*Bigamy is having one wife too many - monogamy is the same

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 24 May 2016 13:25:30 UTC+1, AnthonyL wrote:
As per my recent posts re energy consumption I've been looking at my
EPC as I only bought the house a few months ago.

So it says my Lighting, Heating and Hot Water Estimated Current costs
come to £3,468 which I could potentially reduce to £2,100 if I spend a
few hundreds to thousands of pounds (no I'm not going to put a solid
floor in).

This figure excludes TV, computers and cookers.

My estimate of my bills for the year with my current supplier is
£1,200 which will reduce to about £800 when I finish switching
suppliers.

So what's the point of the EPC which seems just a work of fiction?

--
AnthonyL

The EPC is a box ticking exercise.
If a house does not fit into a particular box, then the EPC is just toilet paper.

Eg, I have a passive house but because I have no central heatings system the assumption is made that I use portable electric heater.

But a lot of people make a good living out of generating this toilet paper as you can't sell your house without one.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

wrote in message
On Tuesday, 24 May 2016 19:07:39 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
Does anyone buy a car on the MPG figures?

It's certainly an important factor for people who do a high mileage and
who pay for their fuel.

I was thinking that that type of person will only look at similar makes and
models of car and not worry too much about the small variation in the quoted
MPG between manufacturers on similar cars - initial cost and depreciation
are far better values.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/05/2016 13:40, Fredxxx wrote:
On 24/05/2016 13:25, AnthonyL wrote:

So what's the point of the EPC which seems just a work of fiction?

It is not unreasonable to take the running costs of a house into account
when making a purchase.

Absolutely.

Except EPCs are so inaccurate as to be useless.

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 25 May 2016 19:06:36 +0100, "ARW"
wrote:

wrote in message
On Tuesday, 24 May 2016 19:07:39 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
Does anyone buy a car on the MPG figures?

It's certainly an important factor for people who do a high mileage and
who pay for their fuel.

I was thinking that that type of person will only look at similar makes and
models of car and not worry too much about the small variation in the quoted
MPG between manufacturers on similar cars - initial cost and depreciation
are far better values.

I was looking to replace my 2002 1.6 Petrol Focus. The dealer had
located a dealer registered 2011 Focus but 1.8. As I was retiring on
not on a company pension scheme I specifically was concerned about
fuel costs and was assured that the figures for the two vehicles was
the same, and that was because the bigger engine had got the latest
management. When it was apparent that that was not the case the
service manager said that they could re-tune it but it would need to
wait till the guarantee was complete otherwise it would be void. He
said many businesses did this to improve the fuel consumption across
the board and not just at 50mph on the flat on a warm day with a warm
engine and nobody in the car.

Fortunately for me fuel prices have been pretty low and my mileage
less than I had expected. Nonetheless I am about 4mpg down over
20,000 miles.

--
AnthonyL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Vir Campestris wrote:
On 24/05/2016 13:40, Fredxxx wrote:
On 24/05/2016 13:25, AnthonyL wrote:

So what's the point of the EPC which seems just a work of fiction?

It is not unreasonable to take the running costs of a house into account
when making a purchase.

Absolutely.

Except EPCs are so inaccurate as to be useless.

Even to compare one house to another? To someone who had no idea on how to
DIY this? Just curious - I've no experience of them.

--
*Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
AnthonyL wrote:
I was looking to replace my 2002 1.6 Petrol Focus. The dealer had
located a dealer registered 2011 Focus but 1.8. As I was retiring on
not on a company pension scheme I specifically was concerned about
fuel costs and was assured that the figures for the two vehicles was
the same, and that was because the bigger engine had got the latest
management. When it was apparent that that was not the case the
service manager said that they could re-tune it but it would need to
wait till the guarantee was complete otherwise it would be void. He
said many businesses did this to improve the fuel consumption across
the board and not just at 50mph on the flat on a warm day with a warm
engine and nobody in the car.

I'd be most surprised if a main dealer could alter the mapping to the
injection. Unless a factory mod.

--
*Don't squat with your spurs on *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Vir Campestris wrote:

EPCs are so inaccurate as to be useless.

Even to compare one house to another? To someone who had no idea on how to
DIY this? Just curious - I've no experience of them.

Have a look a few from e.g. your own street

https://www.epcregister.com/reportSearchAddressByPostcode.html

See how much is based on assumption, and what variations have an impact
on the A-G rating, see how many thousand of pounds are typically
recommended to be spent on improvements for a meagre few tens of pounds
per year saving.

As "everyone" down this road has gas C/H and double glazing, the
difference between a C or D rating seems to depend more on whether you
have energy saving light bulbs than how much loft insulation you've got.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/05/2016 16:18, Andy Burns wrote:
As "everyone" down this road has gas C/H and double glazing, the
difference between a C or D rating seems to depend more on whether you
have energy saving light bulbs than how much loft insulation you've got.

In our living room, we usually use up to three CFLs (will be LEDs when
these fail) and an LED table lamp. We also having ceiling fans which
have three halogen lamps in them, and have two wall lamps, none of which
do we ever use.

Obviously the EPC was based on the halogen and tungsten wall lights
only. So, quite right, it depends on what lamps they decide are the
official lighting in the room. A few execrably awful low power LEDs
might have lifted our grade, but who cares? No-one trusts the EPC ratings.

They totally ignore the power usage of the ceiling fans themselves.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"AnthonyL" wrote in message

snip

Fortunately for me fuel prices have been pretty low and my mileage
less than I had expected. Nonetheless I am about 4mpg down over
20,000 miles.

OK so you did care about the MPG.

I am getting some interesting MPG and MPH readings off my van ATM. There is
no way I could say roughly what they ae going to be week on week even when
doing the same journeys.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 26 May 2016 15:09:02 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

Even to compare one house to another? To someone who had no idea on how to
DIY this? Just curious - I've no experience of them.

From what I have seen of them they are so wildly inaccurate that you
couldn't use them to compare both sides of a semi detached house. When
first introduced vast numbers of hairdressers abandoned their salons
and paid a few thousand pounds to go on a course to become "qualified"
EPC assessors. They were promised large rewards and steady
employment. Unfortunately (for them) neither came to pass and the few
left are trying to undercut each other to peddle their services. You
can get an EPC for about £30

One such assessed a friends house that had the thermal characteristics
of a Chieftain tank. It was a single pre cast concrete wall
construction with render on the outside. Surveyor put it down as an
insulated cavity wall. The attic had at least 2mm of ancient
insulation of unknown provenance or material. That was put down as
200mm of fibreglass because there was no loft ladder so he looked up
at it from the landing. The fact that you could see light through the
roof should have been a clue all was not well. One recommendation was
to add solar water heating which it was estimated would save £40 per
year for an outlay of only £6,000.

The overall assessment was D when by any sensible assessment G would
have been right.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

wrote in message
On Tuesday, 24 May 2016 19:07:39 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
Does anyone buy a car on the MPG figures?

I chose my current car mostly because of its low CO2 rating. In fact I
would never have considered one or known of its existence had it not
appeared where it does in a list by CO2 rating.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Vir Campestris wrote:
On 24/05/2016 13:40, Fredxxx wrote:
On 24/05/2016 13:25, AnthonyL wrote:

So what's the point of the EPC which seems just a work of fiction?

It is not unreasonable to take the running costs of a house into account
when making a purchase.

Absolutely.

Except EPCs are so inaccurate as to be useless.

Even to compare one house to another? To someone who had no idea on how to
DIY this? Just curious - I've no experience of them.

What is absolutely ludicrous is having to have one for holiday let
properties. I don't believe anyone would choose a holiday cottage by its
EPC. Yet its a government requirement.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/05/16 09:15, Muddymike wrote:

I chose my current car mostly because of its low CO2 rating. In fact I
would never have considered one or known of its existence had it not
appeared where it does in a list by CO2 rating.

Is this a recognised medical condition, or is that simply a matter of
the tax banding?

Mike

too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote:

Huge wrote:

I moved house at the beginning of this year,
and no-one gave a damn about EPCs.

I thought all that got scrapped when the coalition got in.

I think the Home Information Pack got junked but somehow the EPC, which
was part of it, remained.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/05/2016 09:18, Muddymike wrote:
In article ,
Vir Campestris wrote:
On 24/05/2016 13:40, Fredxxx wrote:
On 24/05/2016 13:25, AnthonyL wrote:

So what's the point of the EPC which seems just a work of fiction?

It is not unreasonable to take the running costs of a house into
account
when making a purchase.

Absolutely.

Except EPCs are so inaccurate as to be useless.

Even to compare one house to another? To someone who had no idea on
how to
DIY this? Just curious - I've no experience of them.

What is absolutely ludicrous is having to have one for holiday let
properties. I don't believe anyone would choose a holiday cottage by its
EPC. Yet its a government requirement.

If it is rented for more than 4 months of the year.

How long does the EPC last?

I agree it is daft if you pay for the utilities and not the occupier.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vir Campestris wrote:
On 24/05/2016 13:40, Fredxxx wrote:
On 24/05/2016 13:25, AnthonyL wrote:

So what's the point of the EPC which seems just a work of fiction?

It is not unreasonable to take the running costs of a house into
account
when making a purchase.

Absolutely.

Except EPCs are so inaccurate as to be useless.

Even to compare one house to another? To someone who had no idea on
how to
DIY this? Just curious - I've no experience of them.

What is absolutely ludicrous is having to have one for holiday let
properties. I don't believe anyone would choose a holiday cottage by its
EPC. Yet its a government requirement.

If it is rented for more than 4 months of the year.

How long does the EPC last?

I agree it is daft if you pay for the utilities and not the occupier.

An excerpt from:

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.g...f/18905871.pdf

An EPC is not required for a holiday let whe
• the property is rented out for less than 4 months in a year; or

• it is let under a licence to occupy – regardless of the
amount of time it is occupied.

A licence to occupy is an arrangement where the holiday maker
does not have exclusive use of the property, for example,
where the property owner or their representative has the right
to access the premises during the period of the booking.

Burning question, do you have a right of access during the period of the
booking, cleaning etc?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vir Campestris wrote:
[...]

Thanks for that Fred I didn't know it was being reviewed.

Mike

So, what's the point of that, then ... ? Arfa Daily Electronics Repair 32 January 11th 13 01:09 AM
brad point vs twist point Paul Fisher Woodworking 5 February 8th 09 04:17 AM
Turned Piece The End Point OR A Step To The End Point? charlieb Woodturning 14 April 9th 08 08:27 PM
What's the point? SteveB Home Repair 1 November 12th 05 04:01 PM
At what point... Mike W. Woodworking 13 February 26th 05 01:39 AM