Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Modifying a mower deck

Generally my mower works quite well, however it has difficulty with
grass that is long and damp (not an unusual combination at the start of
the mowing season in these parts!). This year was particularly bad since
the ground was so water logged there was a substatial delay before the
ground was firm enough to actually mow.

One of the problems being that my machine is designed to either cut and
collect, or to mulch. It does not have the option to simply cut and
drop. The net result is that it tries collecting, and then quickly clogs
with wet grass, and then is by default trying to mulch. Even on its
highest setting it soon bogs down trying to do that because all the cut
grass is trapped in the deck.

Has anyone tried a (reversible) modification to a mower deck to open a
"flap" in the side or back of it to allow grass to escape?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm a écrit :

Has anyone tried a (reversible) modification to a mower deck to open a "flap"
in the side or back of it to allow grass to escape?

I have a tractor mower and what can be a very wet area to mow. I
struggled with it for years - the tunnel constantly choking, backing up
to the deck, then choking the blade and fan. The tunnel runs back from
the deck, under the axle then feeds into a very large collector on the
rear.

It already had a flap at the rear, so that if the collector is taken
off, it drops the cut grass back on the ground.

I tried a home made panel to blank the front of the tunnel, that was
better, but still it choked the fan and blade. Only when I removed the
entire collection system did I acheive a reliable result.

The outlet from the deck is now completely open and it never chokes.
The only problem I have is with the first cut of the season, where
there are large clumps of cut grass. I allow that to dry, then go over
it a second time, where it becomes better distributed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
Rumm writes

Generally my mower works quite well, however it has difficulty with
grass that is long and damp (not an unusual combination at the start of
the mowing season in these parts!). This year was particularly bad
since the ground was so water logged there was a substatial delay
before the ground was firm enough to actually mow.

One of the problems being that my machine is designed to either cut and
collect, or to mulch. It does not have the option to simply cut and
drop. The net result is that it tries collecting, and then quickly
clogs with wet grass, and then is by default trying to mulch. Even on
its highest setting it soon bogs down trying to do that because all the
cut grass is trapped in the deck.

Has anyone tried a (reversible) modification to a mower deck to open a
"flap" in the side or back of it to allow grass to escape?

Yes but mine is a ride on:-)

One trick is use the mulch setting and then go back to pick up once the
sun has taken out some of the moisture.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/05/16 00:51, John Rumm wrote:

Generally my mower works quite well, however it has difficulty with
grass that is long and damp (not an unusual combination at the start of
the mowing season in these parts!). This year was particularly bad since
the ground was so water logged there was a substatial delay before the
ground was firm enough to actually mow.

One of the problems being that my machine is designed to either cut and
collect, or to mulch. It does not have the option to simply cut and
drop. The net result is that it tries collecting, and then quickly clogs
with wet grass, and then is by default trying to mulch. Even on its
highest setting it soon bogs down trying to do that because all the cut
grass is trapped in the deck.

Has anyone tried a (reversible) modification to a mower deck to open a
"flap" in the side or back of it to allow grass to escape?

Mine came with one. First cut of the year I used it.

"Saki"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/05/2016 08:10, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Tue, 24 May 2016 00:51:31 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

Generally my mower works quite well, however it has difficulty with
grass that is long and damp (not an unusual combination at the start of
the mowing season in these parts!). This year was particularly bad since
the ground was so water logged there was a substatial delay before the
ground was firm enough to actually mow.

One of the problems being that my machine is designed to either cut and
collect, or to mulch. It does not have the option to simply cut and
drop. The net result is that it tries collecting, and then quickly clogs
with wet grass, and then is by default trying to mulch. Even on its
highest setting it soon bogs down trying to do that because all the cut
grass is trapped in the deck.

Has anyone tried a (reversible) modification to a mower deck to open a
"flap" in the side or back of it to allow grass to escape?

Depends on the design of the offtake for the cut grass into the grass
collector. Mine is a spring-loaded flap, which is held open when the

Mine has a pair of contra rotating blades, and the take off is a port in
the top back of the deck in the middle. That is connected to a plastic
tunnel (probably about 8" square) that then feeds through the back of
the machine, out the back and into the grass box. So the blades
naturally "throw" the grass in the direction of the outlet, and they are
also shaped to create a fairly significant updraft (if you defeat the
interlock that senses when the grass box is attached, then it will blow
grass a good 12' out the back of the mower!)

collecting bag is in place, but shuts in 'mulching mode'. It's not
actually a mulching mower, and I get exactly the same problem as you
when cutting longish wet grass. I have a short (8") bit of batten,
about 1" square section, that I jam under the hinge-line of the flap,
that holds it open but slightly angled downwards so the grass cuttings
that get thrown out, backwards, don't fill my boots but are directed
down to the ground.

Alas on mine I have tried similar - even if I defeat the grass box
interlock (which I have done permanently with a batten tied under the
cams that sense its presence), so it just discharges into thin air, it
will still clog near the deck in the first 12" or so of grass tunnel.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/05/2016 08:37, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
John Rumm a écrit :

Has anyone tried a (reversible) modification to a mower deck to open a
"flap" in the side or back of it to allow grass to escape?

I have a tractor mower and what can be a very wet area to mow. I
struggled with it for years - the tunnel constantly choking, backing up
to the deck, then choking the blade and fan. The tunnel runs back from
the deck, under the axle then feeds into a very large collector on the
rear.

Sounds similar to mine, except the tunnel rises and runs over the rear
axle.

It already had a flap at the rear, so that if the collector is taken
off, it drops the cut grass back on the ground.

I notice that MTD have done a "diffuser" attachment for later models of
my tractor, that seems to defeat the grass box interlock, and deflect
the blown grass down onto the ground rather than allow it to flow
backwards. However since mine will clog even when the grass box is not
fitted, I don't expect that would actually help.

I tried a home made panel to blank the front of the tunnel, that was
better, but still it choked the fan and blade. Only when I removed the
entire collection system did I acheive a reliable result.

To be fair, that is something I have not tried - the tunnel is removable
on mine (one can replace it with the mulching plug, which is a shaped
plastic plug on the end of a long metal bar with some rubber straps that
restrain the far end of the bar at the back of the mower). That would
then leave the grass blowing straight out of the deck at the underside
of the drivers foot well I guess.

The outlet from the deck is now completely open and it never chokes. The
only problem I have is with the first cut of the season, where there are
large clumps of cut grass. I allow that to dry, then go over it a second
time, where it becomes better distributed.

If I could get the first cut done more easily[1] just dropping the grass
back on the ground, then I have a towed sweeper which could do the
collection.

[1] In the end I normally have to cut very slowly on the highest blade
setting, stopping every time it sounds like the motor is bogging down
and getting close to stalling, or disengaging the PTO to the blade,
driving a bit to allow the accumulated grass to fall out of the deck and
starting again. A much slower (and petrol thirsty) way to get it cut.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/05/2016 08:48, Brian Gaff wrote:

Or an attached hair dryer on the front perhaps? :-)

Now that's a bit of lateral thinking... I would need to tow a generator
to run it though!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
Rumm writes
Has anyone tried a (reversible) modification to a mower deck to open a
"flap" in the side or back of it to allow grass to escape?

Depends on the design of the offtake for the cut grass into the grass
collector. Mine is a spring-loaded flap, which is held open when the

Mine has a pair of contra rotating blades, and the take off is a port
in the top back of the deck in the middle. That is connected to a
plastic tunnel (probably about 8" square) that then feeds through the
back of the machine, out the back and into the grass box. So the blades
naturally "throw" the grass in the direction of the outlet, and they
are also shaped to create a fairly significant updraft (if you defeat
the interlock that senses when the grass box is attached, then it will
blow grass a good 12' out the back of the mower!)

That sounds like my Jonsered!

I fabricated a deflector from aluminium sheet to give a better spread
and reduce the amount of clippings blown down my neck by the wind!

The plastic tunnel is retained by two spring hooks and the deflector is
shaped to be trapped by the tunnel top and flange.

A short length of wood and a spring clip takes care of the grass box
safety switch.

I found that regular use of the mulching device left rows of rotting
trimmings which eventually damaged the grass. Altering the cutting route
might have got round this but I'm mowing a strip 20m x 100m!

Alas on mine I have tried similar - even if I defeat the grass box
interlock (which I have done permanently with a batten tied under the
cams that sense its presence), so it just discharges into thin air, it
will still clog near the deck in the first 12" or so of grass tunnel.

Yes. Back to fitting the mulcher!

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/05/2016 09:05, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , John
Rumm writes

Generally my mower works quite well, however it has difficulty with
grass that is long and damp (not an unusual combination at the start
of the mowing season in these parts!). This year was particularly bad
since the ground was so water logged there was a substatial delay
before the ground was firm enough to actually mow.

One of the problems being that my machine is designed to either cut
and collect, or to mulch. It does not have the option to simply cut
and drop. The net result is that it tries collecting, and then quickly
clogs with wet grass, and then is by default trying to mulch. Even on
its highest setting it soon bogs down trying to do that because all
the cut grass is trapped in the deck.

Has anyone tried a (reversible) modification to a mower deck to open a
"flap" in the side or back of it to allow grass to escape?

Yes but mine is a ride on:-)

Yup so is mine (sorry, should have mentioned that in the OP)... Its got
a 36" deck on it.

One trick is use the mulch setting and then go back to pick up once the
sun has taken out some of the moisture.

Mine has not really got enough power (13 hp B&S) to mulch long wet grass
- its ok if mulching a dry lawn providing you do it at least twice a week.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Is it a flap right on the skirt of the deck?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/05/16 11:19, John Rumm wrote:
[...]

I had similar power. I used to raise the deck to the max, cut, wait, cut
again, wait a week, drop the deck a couple of inches, cut again..
THEN it was under controil and the mulcher would work

let them."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/05/16 11:20, John Rumm wrote:
[...]

yes, But it could be removed to leave just a flappy metal guard on top
of the deack sticking out over the slot for 'no mulch, spit it out sideways'

That is safety as much as anything. You don't want stuff flying up or
your foot in the blades.

http://zeroturnmowerreviews.net/wp-c...1/z235deck.jpg

there's a good sort of picture of a typical way to do it.

http://www.greenpartstore.com/assets...13/gy21030.jpg

shows a similar deck with the flappy METAL guard fitted.

Angle grinder and welder is a good starting point

its shoes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

It would be easier if I could get a higher max cut setting out of it -
but I think about 90mm is the highest it will go. Perhaps I need a
couple of larger diameter front wheels ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I think with the rain we had yesterday evening, a large gas burner might be
a better bet.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 24/05/2016 08:48, Brian Gaff wrote:

Or an attached hair dryer on the front perhaps? :-)

Now that's a bit of lateral thinking... I would need to tow a generator to
run it though!

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/05/2016 11:11, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , John
Rumm writes
Has anyone tried a (reversible) modification to a mower deck to open a
"flap" in the side or back of it to allow grass to escape?

Depends on the design of the offtake for the cut grass into the grass
collector. Mine is a spring-loaded flap, which is held open when the

Mine has a pair of contra rotating blades, and the take off is a port
in the top back of the deck in the middle. That is connected to a
plastic tunnel (probably about 8" square) that then feeds through the
back of the machine, out the back and into the grass box. So the
blades naturally "throw" the grass in the direction of the outlet, and
they are also shaped to create a fairly significant updraft (if you
defeat the interlock that senses when the grass box is attached, then
it will blow grass a good 12' out the back of the mower!)

That sounds like my Jonsered!

MTD Lawnflite in this case...

I fabricated a deflector from aluminium sheet to give a better spread
and reduce the amount of clippings blown down my neck by the wind!

The plastic tunnel is retained by two spring hooks and the deflector is
shaped to be trapped by the tunnel top and flange.

A short length of wood and a spring clip takes care of the grass box
safety switch.

I found that regular use of the mulching device left rows of rotting
trimmings which eventually damaged the grass. Altering the cutting route

I find if I mulch (which I do sometimes in the height of summer), then
unless I mow twice a week, you get visible clippings left. Do it more
often and it manages to "lose" them in the grass.

might have got round this but I'm mowing a strip 20m x 100m!

Doing about 60m x 60m (-minus the foot print of the house etc) here.

Alas on mine I have tried similar - even if I defeat the grass box
interlock (which I have done permanently with a batten tied under the
cams that sense its presence), so it just discharges into thin air, it
will still clog near the deck in the first 12" or so of grass tunnel.

Yes. Back to fitting the mulcher!

In effect yup...

I will have to have a look and see what happens if I take the whole
tunnel out like Harry suggested above.

(probably a moot point for this year now, since I finally got it low
enough at the weekend that it should be ok for the rest of the season -
but there was a point after three hours of mowing and sweeping and
mowing etc that I was almost ready to trade it in for a setup with built
in brush collection!)

--
Cheers,

John.

mower deck rust buckwheat Home Repair 26 September 3rd 15 10:37 PM
Mower deck links Terry Coombs[_2_] Metalworking 32 May 19th 15 02:08 PM
welding a mower deck wf3h[_2_] Home Repair 21 June 17th 11 04:17 AM
Mower Deck Spindles J.A.Michel Home Repair 2 May 24th 09 06:15 PM
mtd mower deck cj Home Repair 4 April 22nd 07 01:29 PM