Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Mower Deck Spindles

Hi all,

I have a Poulan riding mower with a 42" deck. I have used it for 6 or 7
seasons. One of the idler pulleys on the deck shelled out, and that got me
to wondering about the bearings and spindles that run the blades. The
spindle housings have no zerks on them. Should I tear the spindles down and
re-pack the bearings? What do people usually do for maintenance on these?

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On May 23, 9:01*pm, "J.A.Michel" wrote:
Hi all,

I have a Poulan riding mower with a 42" deck. *I have used it for 6 or 7
seasons. *One of the idler pulleys on the deck shelled out, and that got me
to wondering about the bearings and spindles that run the blades. *The
spindle housings have no zerks on them. *Should I tear the spindles down and
re-pack the bearings? *What do people usually do for maintenance on these?

Thanks!

They are sealed bearings, and the usual service is to press out the
old ones and press in new ones (depending on design). Easiest way to
handle this is remove assembly and take it to the service shop where
they will have a press and the fixtures to do it without damage to the
housings. Of course if you have a lathe to make make fixtures and a
press, do it yourself.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joe" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks, Joe!

I took the spindles apart, and the top bearing is not pressed and removes
easily. The bottom bearing is not pressed into the housing, but it is
pressed on the shaft. Looking on the Poulan parts website, they do no sell
the bottom bearing by itself, only as a assembly with the shaft and bearing.
I'll run the shafts to town and see if they can press new bearings onto
them. Seems a waste to toss a perfectly good shaft just because the bearing
needs replacing.

Thanks!!

mtd mower deck cj Home Repair 4 April 22nd 07 01:29 PM
Grasshopper Mower Deck Gearbox Jeff Givens Home Repair 0 May 27th 06 03:51 AM
WTB: cub cadet 1315 mower deck craig callinan Home Ownership 0 August 11th 04 11:11 PM
Rusted mower deck, Need ideas on repair Al Kondo Home Repair 11 March 27th 04 03:53 AM
Rhino Liner on a mower deck Roy Metalworking 11 December 15th 03 05:24 PM