Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default Mower Deck Spindles

On May 23, 9:01*pm, "J.A.Michel" wrote:
Hi all,

I have a Poulan riding mower with a 42" deck. *I have used it for 6 or 7
seasons. *One of the idler pulleys on the deck shelled out, and that got me
to wondering about the bearings and spindles that run the blades. *The
spindle housings have no zerks on them. *Should I tear the spindles down and
re-pack the bearings? *What do people usually do for maintenance on these?

Thanks!

They are sealed bearings, and the usual service is to press out the
old ones and press in new ones (depending on design). Easiest way to
handle this is remove assembly and take it to the service shop where
they will have a press and the fixtures to do it without damage to the
housings. Of course if you have a lathe to make make fixtures and a
press, do it yourself.

Joe