Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Removing auto toll dongle clip from windscreen.

On Mon, 23 May 2016 11:30:43 +0100 (GMT+01:00), Chris French
wrote:

our car was obviously used by someone who had one of the little
dongle things for the old automatic toll for the Dartford
crossing. At some point, this clip which holds it was broken, but
the rest of it is still stuck to the windscreen. Whatever they
use sticks it really strongly.

There are the same as the ones used on French auto route tolls. I
have one of those, and I have a spare clip I can use. But I'd
like to get the old bit off first. Anyone no any tips for getting
them off?

I got one off by dripping white spirit on it which eventually loosened
it. Acetone will also work and probably more quickly but if any drops
on the plastic bits of the car may well damage the surface. White
spirit won't.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

our car was obviously used by someone who had one of the little
dongle things for the old automatic toll for the Dartford
crossing. At some point, this clip which holds it was broken, but
the rest of it is still stuck to the windscreen. Whatever they
use sticks it really strongly.

There are the same as the ones used on French auto route tolls. I
have one of those, and I have a spare clip I can use. But I'd
like to get the old bit off first. Anyone no any tips for getting
them off?

I got one off by dripping white spirit on it which eventually loosened
it. Acetone will also work and probably more quickly but if any drops
on the plastic bits of the car may well damage the surface. White
spirit won't.

for thoise who don't know: acetone is often sold as "nail varnish remover"

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

On 23/05/2016 11:30, Chris French wrote:

our car was obviously used by someone who had one of the little
dongle things for the old automatic toll for the Dartford
crossing. At some point, this clip which holds it was broken, but
the rest of it is still stuck to the windscreen. Whatever they
use sticks it really strongly.

There are the same as the ones used on French auto route tolls. I
have one of those, and I have a spare clip I can use. But I'd
like to get the old bit off first. Anyone no any tips for getting
them off?

Thanks

The tags are still in use with the new system. Ours still "beeps" when
we go through

I got mine off a previous car by using fishing line to "saw" through the
pad and then MEK to clean the glass.

The adhesive is 3M VHB and they say in the related pdf to use:

"Solvents
The adhesive residue can be wet with a solvent then covered with a
plastic film and allowed to soak for 5-15
minutes. Once the adhesive is softened, use a scrapper to remove the
adhesive. Solvents to use include:
• 3M™ Citrus Base Cleaner
• Automotive Bug-and Tar remover
• MEK (Methyl-Ethyl-Ketone)
• Other commercial adhesive removers"

This is from:
http://solutions.3m.com/3MContentRet...te=I mageFile

Lee

Removing dead flies/bugs from windscreen Russ UK diy 14 July 22nd 16 07:45 AM
What tool to cope with this large clip (auto) mike UK diy 15 February 17th 16 04:46 PM
Removing an axle clip Matty F UK diy 11 October 2nd 11 07:20 AM
3218/32,544 INVESTED IN FAILURE! 03/19/07 Newsweek: The Human Toll the Coalition death toll has topped 3,400 and estimated civilian fatalities stand at more than 64,000. BGKM Woodworking 0 March 20th 07 04:46 AM
auto removing messages SiGreen10 UK diy 11 January 3rd 06 07:51 AM