Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Advantages of a bay window over a flat window.

I'm thinking of adding a new window to an upstairs room with a nice view. I could use a flat window, but I have a hunch that a slightly bayed window would be more pleasing. I can see that installing a bay window represents some added work and cost, so I'm wondering if there are any practical benefits of a bay window, to help me make a decision. Anyone got any opinions on this?

The bay window I envisage would not project beyond the roof facia.

Many thanks...

JD
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 23 May 2016 10:42:53 UTC+1, wrote:

I'm thinking of adding a new window to an upstairs room with a nice view. I could use a flat window, but I have a hunch that a slightly bayed window would be more pleasing. I can see that installing a bay window represents some added work and cost, so I'm wondering if there are any practical benefits of a bay window, to help me make a decision. Anyone got any opinions on this?

The bay window I envisage would not project beyond the roof facia.

Many thanks...

JD

more cost, more heat loss, more floor space, better appearance, more roof leaks.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message

I'm thinking of adding a new window to an upstairs room with a nice view.

I could use a flat window, but I have a hunch that a slightly bayed window would be
more pleasing.
I can see that installing a bay window represents some added work and cost, so I'm
wondering if
there are any practical benefits of a bay window, to help me make a decision.

Anyone got any opinions on this?

Assuuming you just mean a bay unit - a bay window ledge underneath, a bay window
and "roof" over, just added to the front, as obviously upstairs you can't build a bay
underneath your answer is in your first sentence

"an upstairs room with a nice view."

Basically the one real advantage a bay window would give you is a wider view
plus a bigger window ledge which may or may not be of benefit. A nice place for
a vase of flowers or pictures or ornaments maybe or just a clutter magenet.

Round where I live there are gentrified former "workman's cottages" i.e terraces
one room wide with no front gardens where such add on bays are very popular. So they
may give the illusion of extra space inside although only at window height.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 23 May 2016 03:47:55 -0700, tabbypurr wrote:

On Monday, 23 May 2016 10:42:53 UTC+1, wrote:

I'm thinking of adding a new window to an upstairs room with a nice
view. I could use a flat window, but I have a hunch that a slightly
bayed window would be more pleasing. I can see that installing a bay
window represents some added work and cost, so I'm wondering if there
are any practical benefits of a bay window, to help me make a decision.
Anyone got any opinions on this?

The bay window I envisage would not project beyond the roof facia.

Many thanks...

JD

more cost, more heat loss, more floor space, better appearance, more
roof leaks.

Depending on orientation, more light.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 23 May 2016 10:42:53 UTC+1, wrote:
I'm thinking of adding a new window to an upstairs room with a nice view. I could use a flat window, but I have a hunch that a slightly bayed window would be more pleasing. I can see that installing a bay window represents some added work and cost, so I'm wondering if there are any practical benefits of a bay window, to help me make a decision. Anyone got any opinions on this?

The ability to look sideways down the wall of the building can be nice/useful.

The drawback is from outside your house might look like a 'park home' with a bolted-on bay window.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"michael adams" wrote in message

Assuuming you just mean a bay unit - a bay window ledge underneath, a bay
window
and "roof" over, just added to the front, as obviously upstairs you can't
build a bay
underneath your answer is in your first sentence

"an upstairs room with a nice view."

Is it a bay or bow window?

I would call this a bay window

https://goo.gl/maps/2EnVzDwki4m

and this a bow window

https://goo.gl/maps/cqSjr1BpYCk

Fitting the bay would be expensive.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/05/2016 18:18, ARW wrote:
"michael adams" wrote in message

Assuuming you just mean a bay unit - a bay window ledge underneath, a
bay window
and "roof" over, just added to the front, as obviously upstairs you
can't build a bay
underneath your answer is in your first sentence

"an upstairs room with a nice view."

Is it a bay or bow window?

I would call this a bay window

https://goo.gl/maps/2EnVzDwki4m

and this a bow window

https://goo.gl/maps/cqSjr1BpYCk

Fitting the bay would be expensive.

Especially if your house is in a conservation area and the
local planners tell you to remove it and reinstate the
original.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Andrew" wrote in message
On 27/05/2016 18:18, ARW wrote:
"michael adams" wrote in message

Assuuming you just mean a bay unit - a bay window ledge underneath, a
bay window
and "roof" over, just added to the front, as obviously upstairs you
can't build a bay
underneath your answer is in your first sentence

"an upstairs room with a nice view."

Is it a bay or bow window?

I would call this a bay window

https://goo.gl/maps/2EnVzDwki4m

and this a bow window

https://goo.gl/maps/cqSjr1BpYCk

Fitting the bay would be expensive.

Especially if your house is in a conservation area and the
local planners tell you to remove it and reinstate the
original.

Have you got the T shirt?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

We had two rectangular bay windows at the last house, the only real benefit was the extra floor space. As far as light with curtains they were no better than flat windows as even when the curtains were fully opened the two side windows were still obscured. Doing away with curtains and just using blinds did increase the light and airiness of the two rooms concerned.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 27 May 2016 12:27:36 -0700, Tricky Dicky wrote:

We had two rectangular bay windows at the last house, the only real
benefit was the extra floor space. As far as light with curtains they
were no better than flat windows as even when the curtains were fully
opened the two side windows were still obscured. Doing away with
curtains and just using blinds did increase the light and airiness of
the two rooms concerned.

Ours are the type with the side windows at about 45 degrees to the main
one. On both sides, the curtains draw clear of the windows. It's a single
curtain track with bends at the sides of the main window.

(the angle might be a little more obtuse than 45 deg but ICBA to go and
check!)