Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Misaligned mirrors cause fire at solar power generation facility

http://arstechnica.com/science/2016/...ed-mirrors-at-
solar-thermal-plant-causes-electrical-fire/

"This week, some misaligned mirrors at the biggest solar thermal energy
plant in the US caused an electrical fire that took out one of the
plant's three boiler towers [...] The solar thermal plant, called the
Ivanpah Solar Power Facility, is distinct from photovoltaic solar plants
in that it doesn't use solar panels"

A badly written article: "The heat creates steam in the boiler towers,
which powers generators to create energy". Yeah, right.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) Windows 10: less of an OS, more of a drive-by mugging.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ahem, should this not be impossible if the software is written properly, or
are we saying it was a mechanical issue due to lack of maintenance perhaps.

These sorts of power station were made quite a while ago now, I wonder what
the build and running costs are like when compared to photovoltaic?
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Mike Tomlinson" wrote in message

http://arstechnica.com/science/2016/...ed-mirrors-at-
solar-thermal-plant-causes-electrical-fire/

"This week, some misaligned mirrors at the biggest solar thermal energy
plant in the US caused an electrical fire that took out one of the
plant's three boiler towers [...] The solar thermal plant, called the
Ivanpah Solar Power Facility, is distinct from photovoltaic solar plants
in that it doesn't use solar panels"

A badly written article: "The heat creates steam in the boiler towers,
which powers generators to create energy". Yeah, right.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) Windows 10: less of an OS, more of a drive-by mugging.
(")_(") -- "Esme" on el Reg

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 22/05/2016 09:03, Brian Gaff wrote:
Ahem, should this not be impossible if the software is written properly, or
are we saying it was a mechanical issue due to lack of maintenance perhaps.

I'm amazed that anyone would go near the place for maintenance during
the daytime.

These sorts of power station were made quite a while ago now, I wonder what
the build and running costs are like when compared to photovoltaic?
Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/05/2016 15:06, GB wrote:
On 22/05/2016 09:03, Brian Gaff wrote:
Ahem, should this not be impossible if the software is written
properly, or
are we saying it was a mechanical issue due to lack of maintenance
perhaps.

I'm amazed that anyone would go near the place for maintenance during
the daytime.

These sorts of power station were made quite a while ago now, I wonder
what
the build and running costs are like when compared to photovoltaic?
Brian

According to an article on the Ars Technica web site, the costs for the
solar/steam plant are running at $135-200/MwH whilst PV (described as
"solar power from traditional plants") is being sold at $57/MwH.

http://arstechnica.co.uk/science/2016/05/heat-from-misaligned-mirrors-at-solar-thermal-plant-causes-electrical-fire/

All depends upon how much you trust a web site ....

--
DaverN
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , GB
escribió:

I'm amazed that anyone would go near the place for maintenance during
the daytime.

You'd get a nice tan in no time, for sure.

--
(\_/)