Posted to uk.d-i-y
DaverN[_2_] DaverN[_2_] is offline

Default Misaligned mirrors cause fire at solar power generation facility

On 22/05/2016 15:06, GB wrote:
On 22/05/2016 09:03, Brian Gaff wrote:
Ahem, should this not be impossible if the software is written
properly, or
are we saying it was a mechanical issue due to lack of maintenance
perhaps.

I'm amazed that anyone would go near the place for maintenance during
the daytime.

These sorts of power station were made quite a while ago now, I wonder
what
the build and running costs are like when compared to photovoltaic?
Brian

According to an article on the Ars Technica web site, the costs for the
solar/steam plant are running at $135-200/MwH whilst PV (described as
"solar power from traditional plants") is being sold at $57/MwH.

http://arstechnica.co.uk/science/2016/05/heat-from-misaligned-mirrors-at-solar-thermal-plant-causes-electrical-fire/

All depends upon how much you trust a web site ....

--
DaverN