Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Beginners guide to network switches

Regulars may recall that I ran CAT 5 cable direct from modem to son's
room, to give him the full benefit of our high speed connection. The
cable in his room terminates in a single wall socket.

Now, he wants multiple sockets, to add Xbox etc. Would the simplest
solution be to spend a tenner or so on a switch? I've never used a
switch. Wiring is simply a CAT5 cable from the wall socket to the
switch then similar cables from the switch to PC, Xbox etc? Any
complicated set up or plug and play?

Looking at a D-Link DES-105/B 5 Port 10/100 Metal Housing Desktop Switch
from Amazon, or possibly a cheaper option such as Edimax 5 port 10/100
Switch at less than a fiver from eBuyer.

Thanks!
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

News wrote:

Regulars may recall that I ran CAT 5 cable direct from modem to son's
room, to give him the full benefit of our high speed connection. The
cable in his room terminates in a single wall socket.

Now, he wants multiple sockets, to add Xbox etc. Would the simplest
solution be to spend a tenner or so on a switch? I've never used a
switch. Wiring is simply a CAT5 cable from the wall socket to the
switch then similar cables from the switch to PC, Xbox etc? Any
complicated set up or plug and play?

Nothing complicated, it really is as simple as it seems to install,
despite the whizzy technology inside.

Looking at a D-Link DES-105/B 5 Port 10/100 Metal Housing Desktop Switch
from Amazon, or possibly a cheaper option such as Edimax 5 port 10/100
Switch at less than a fiver from eBuyer.

My advice is for the negligible extra cost make sure you get a Gigabit
switch even though you have no use for the additional speed now.

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

News wrote:

Would the simplest solution be to spend a tenner or so on a switch?
Any complicated set up or plug and play?

Yes, as far as home switches are concerned, they're plug and forget. You
could push the boat out and get a gigabit one for a couple of quid more.

https://amazon.co.uk/TL-SG1005D/dp/B00ZOOJXEG
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy Burns
writes
News wrote:

Would the simplest solution be to spend a tenner or so on a switch?
Any complicated set up or plug and play?

Yes, as far as home switches are concerned, they're plug and forget.
You could push the boat out and get a gigabit one for a couple of quid
more.

OK, thanks to you both (Mike and Andy). Point taken, and D-Link 5-Port
Gigabit Switch ordered through ebuyer, partly because, having read the
comments and reviews in another thread, I could not resist the Xenta 163
Piece Rotary Tool and Accessory Kit.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 21 May 2016 08:19:26 +0100, News
wrote:

In message , Andy Burns
writes
News wrote:

Would the simplest solution be to spend a tenner or so on a switch?
Any complicated set up or plug and play?

Yes, as far as home switches are concerned, they're plug and forget.
You could push the boat out and get a gigabit one for a couple of quid
more.

OK, thanks to you both (Mike and Andy). Point taken, and D-Link 5-Port
Gigabit Switch ordered through ebuyer, partly because, having read the
comments and reviews in another thread, I could not resist the Xenta 163
Piece Rotary Tool and Accessory Kit.

Oh what a shame - so you're not interested in a fully managed (user
has control of all the switch settings) switch then? Fits a full size
rack.

--
AnthonyL

Posted to uk.d-i-y

News wrote:
In message , Andy Burns
writes
News wrote:

Would the simplest solution be to spend a tenner or so on a switch?
Any complicated set up or plug and play?

Yes, as far as home switches are concerned, they're plug and forget.
You could push the boat out and get a gigabit one for a couple of quid
more.

OK, thanks to you both (Mike and Andy). Point taken, and D-Link 5-Port
Gigabit Switch ordered through ebuyer, partly because, having read the
comments and reviews in another thread, I could not resist the Xenta 163
Piece Rotary Tool and Accessory Kit.

When you set it up, you need to turn off DHCP in the new switch so that
your current modem/switch still remains in charge of allocating IP
addresses.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote:

D-Link 5-Port Gigabit Switch ordered

When you set it up, you need to turn off DHCP in the new switch

Not likely to have DHCP ability, not likely to be managed at all.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/05/16 07:27, News wrote:

Regulars may recall that I ran CAT 5 cable direct from modem to son's
room, to give him the full benefit of our high speed connection. The
cable in his room terminates in a single wall socket.

Now, he wants multiple sockets, to add Xbox etc. Would the simplest
solution be to spend a tenner or so on a switch? I've never used a
switch. Wiring is simply a CAT5 cable from the wall socket to the
switch then similar cables from the switch to PC, Xbox etc? Any
complicated set up or plug and play?

Looking at a D-Link DES-105/B 5 Port 10/100 Metal Housing Desktop Switch
from Amazon, or possibly a cheaper option such as Edimax 5 port 10/100
Switch at less than a fiver from eBuyer.

Thanks!

My advice is don't be cheap - use gig switches (You said Cat5 - I
assumed you mean Cat5e?). 100Mbit might be enough for your internet
throughput, but if you later add a media server on one part of the house
or want to shift files between your computer and his?

But yes, it is an excellent idea.

Netgear GS series switches are reliable:

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computi...39526-pdt.html

£35 ish.

For a simple home network, they need no configuration and there is no
problem with mixing models and brands.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bob Minchin
writes
News wrote:

OK, thanks to you both (Mike and Andy). Point taken, and D-Link 5-Port
Gigabit Switch ordered through ebuyer, partly because, having read the
comments and reviews in another thread, I could not resist the Xenta 163
Piece Rotary Tool and Accessory Kit.

When you set it up, you need to turn off DHCP in the new switch so that
your current modem/switch still remains in charge of allocating IP
addresses.

Noted, thanks, although I feel a further question may be necessary, when
it arrives :-)
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , AnthonyL
writes
wrote:

OK, thanks to you both (Mike and Andy). Point taken, and D-Link 5-Port
Gigabit Switch ordered through ebuyer, partly because, having read the
comments and reviews in another thread, I could not resist the Xenta 163
Piece Rotary Tool and Accessory Kit.

Oh what a shame - so you're not interested in a fully managed (user
has control of all the switch settings) switch then? Fits a full size
rack.

I prefer KISS!
--
Graeme

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy Burns
writes
Bob Minchin wrote:

D-Link 5-Port Gigabit Switch ordered

When you set it up, you need to turn off DHCP in the new switch

Not likely to have DHCP ability, not likely to be managed at all.

I'll see what the instructions say, when it arrives. Am hoping for
'plug and play'.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/05/2016 07:27, News wrote:

Regulars may recall that I ran CAT 5 cable direct from modem to son's
room, to give him the full benefit of our high speed connection. The
cable in his room terminates in a single wall socket.

Now, he wants multiple sockets, to add Xbox etc. Would the simplest
solution be to spend a tenner or so on a switch? I've never used a
switch. Wiring is simply a CAT5 cable from the wall socket to the
switch then similar cables from the switch to PC, Xbox etc? Any
complicated set up or plug and play?

Looking at a D-Link DES-105/B 5 Port 10/100 Metal Housing Desktop Switch
from Amazon, or possibly a cheaper option such as Edimax 5 port 10/100
Switch at less than a fiver from eBuyer.

Thanks!

A cheap solution is to use an old router. Just switch off the DHCP and
make sure that the IP address does not conflict with the settings in
your main router. I have one like that, and I also use it as a second
WiFi access point with the same SSID and password as my main router but
a different channel. I use 1 and 11.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 21 May 2016 10:14:55 +0100, Tim Streater
wrote:

In article , AnthonyL
wrote:

On Sat, 21 May 2016 08:19:26 +0100, News
wrote:

In message , Andy Burns
writes
News wrote:

Would the simplest solution be to spend a tenner or so on a switch?
Any complicated set up or plug and play?

Yes, as far as home switches are concerned, they're plug and forget.
You could push the boat out and get a gigabit one for a couple of quid
more.

OK, thanks to you both (Mike and Andy). Point taken, and D-Link 5-Port
Gigabit Switch ordered through ebuyer, partly because, having read the
comments and reviews in another thread, I could not resist the Xenta 163
Piece Rotary Tool and Accessory Kit.

Oh what a shame - so you're not interested in a fully managed (user
has control of all the switch settings) switch then? Fits a full size
rack.

In a 42u high rack, you mean, in a cupboard with its own air
conditioning and 48V DC supply?

A local shop I help out with technical stuff is just going
'CloudVoice' (SIP phones) and they ('BT') sent them a 24 port POE
switch. Apart from being overkill, they said it was going to cost the
shop £330 on the lease. I got them a TP-Link 16 port fanless metal
cased 15 port Gb switch for about 60 quid (as they didn't need POE
anyway).

It turns out they should have been supplied an 8 port (POE) switch and
the £330 they quoted was for that. The 24 port could have been either
£500+ or £800+ depending on features! ;-(

POE would have been little use in any case as because of the layout of
the building they have a 'star' topology using smaller switches at the
ends.

Cheers, T i m

p.s. Years ago I got a call from the boss of a place I wired up with
thin ethernet saying 'Our network has stopped working'. I asked if
they had any idea 'why' and he said he 'thought the network cables
were melted'? Never having heard of that happening before I asked if
he had any idea how and he replied 'ah, so you haven't heard about the
fire ...'?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 21 May 2016 10:14:55 +0100, Tim Streater
wrote:

In article , AnthonyL
wrote:

Oh what a shame - so you're not interested in a fully managed (user
has control of all the switch settings) switch then? Fits a full size
rack.

In a 42u high rack, you mean, in a cupboard with its own air
conditioning and 48V DC supply?

Cisco Catalyst 2900 Series XL

I've got the cupboard too, small wall mounted. Handy for storing bits
and pieces in as I don't have to open it to see what's inside.

--
AnthonyL

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 21 May 2016 10:54:56 +0100, Michael Chare
wrote:

On 21/05/2016 07:27, News wrote:

[...]

For resilience I used a second router, configured ready to as you did.
If the primary router failed it would only be minutes to get the other
live as a router.

--
AnthonyL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
News wrote:
Regulars may recall that I ran CAT 5 cable direct from modem to son's
room, to give him the full benefit of our high speed connection. The
cable in his room terminates in a single wall socket.

Now, he wants multiple sockets, to add Xbox etc. Would the simplest
solution be to spend a tenner or so on a switch? I've never used a
switch. Wiring is simply a CAT5 cable from the wall socket to the
switch then similar cables from the switch to PC, Xbox etc? Any
complicated set up or plug and play?

Looking at a D-Link DES-105/B 5 Port 10/100 Metal Housing Desktop Switch
from Amazon, or possibly a cheaper option such as Edimax 5 port 10/100
Switch at less than a fiver from eBuyer.

I used the old wireless router for this - left over from my switch to BT
fibre. It works OK to provide extra CAT5 outlets, and gives a second Wi-Fi
signal which covers that area better.

--
*If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/05/2016 10:36, News wrote:
In message , Andy Burns
writes
Bob Minchin wrote:

D-Link 5-Port Gigabit Switch ordered

When you set it up, you need to turn off DHCP in the new switch

Not likely to have DHCP ability, not likely to be managed at all.

I'll see what the instructions say, when it arrives. Am hoping for
'plug and play'.

Yup, just plug it in and it will work.

The only thing that might upset matters, is if you loop back one port to
another!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/05/2016 10:51, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Tim Watts
wrote:

Netgear GS series switches are reliable:

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computi...work-routers-a

nd-switches/network-switches/netgear-gs108-prosafe-8-port-ethernet-switch-00939

526-pdt.html

Nice that you can tell what speed a port is running at.

Most of them these days have either second LED, or a multi colour LED to
indicate connection and speed... (at least they indicate gig or 10/100 -
not so many will differentiate between 10 and 100.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 21 May 2016 13:02:55 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

On 21/05/2016 10:36, News wrote:
In message , Andy Burns
writes
Bob Minchin wrote:

D-Link 5-Port Gigabit Switch ordered

When you set it up, you need to turn off DHCP in the new switch

Not likely to have DHCP ability, not likely to be managed at all.

I'll see what the instructions say, when it arrives. Am hoping for
'plug and play'.

Yup, just plug it in and it will work.

The only thing that might upset matters, is if you loop back one port to
another!

Bloody good stress-test though.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 21 May 2016 10:34:48 +0100, News
wrote:

In message , Bob Minchin
writes
News wrote:

OK, thanks to you both (Mike and Andy). Point taken, and D-Link 5-Port
Gigabit Switch ordered through ebuyer, partly because, having read the
comments and reviews in another thread, I could not resist the Xenta 163
Piece Rotary Tool and Accessory Kit.

When you set it up, you need to turn off DHCP in the new switch so that
your current modem/switch still remains in charge of allocating IP
addresses.

Noted, thanks, although I feel a further question may be necessary, when
it arrives :-)

Feel free, but they are pretty foolproof these days (That sounds more
polite than idiot proof).

15 years ago you would have uplink ports, and crossover cables to
contend with, but now that's all taken care of.

Best one was the Sweex router I bought when I first got broadband, I
nearly took it back as faulty, then I discovered that all four switch
ports worked fine with a NIC when a crossover cable was used, and a
straight cable was needed to connect to a second switch. I've still
got it somewhere.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5/21/2016 2:59 PM, Graham. wrote:
On Sat, 21 May 2016 10:34:48 +0100, News
wrote:

In message , Bob Minchin
writes
News wrote:

[...]

Once in a while (months?) you might find things stop working, just
switch off and then on again.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

News wrote

Regulars may recall that I ran CAT 5 cable direct from modem to son's
room, to give him the full benefit of our high speed connection. The
cable in his room terminates in a single wall socket.

Now, he wants multiple sockets, to add Xbox etc. Would the simplest
solution be to spend a tenner or so on a switch?

Yep works fine.

I've never used a switch. Wiring is simply a CAT5 cable from the wall
socket to the switch then similar cables from the switch to PC, Xbox etc?

Yep.

Any complicated set up or plug and play?

Yep, plug and play with no cursing at all.

Looking at a D-Link DES-105/B 5 Port 10/100 Metal Housing Desktop Switch
from Amazon, or possibly a cheaper option such as Edimax 5 port 10/100
Switch at less than a fiver from eBuyer.

Yeah, they don't cost much.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
News wrote:

Would the simplest solution be to spend a tenner or so on a switch?
Any complicated set up or plug and play?

Yes, as far as home switches are concerned, they're plug and forget. You
could push the boat out and get a gigabit one for a couple of quid more.

https://amazon.co.uk/TL-SG1005D/dp/B00ZOOJXEG

And I'd go for the 8 port ones myself. He could easily
end up with multiple games machines and PCs and
other stuff like network printers etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Graham. writes:
On Sat, 21 May 2016 13:02:55 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

On 21/05/2016 10:36, News wrote:
In message , Andy Burns
writes
Bob Minchin wrote:

D-Link 5-Port Gigabit Switch ordered

When you set it up, you need to turn off DHCP in the new switch

Not likely to have DHCP ability, not likely to be managed at all.

I'll see what the instructions say, when it arrives. Am hoping for
'plug and play'.

Yup, just plug it in and it will work.

The only thing that might upset matters, is if you loop back one port to
another!

Bloody good stress-test though.

I think all switches detect that and isolate those segments
(without the need for Spanning Tree which is used in larger
networks to prevent loops).

It was much more of an issue with hubs, which generally didn't
have the intelligence to detect it, but you can't buy hubs for
a decade or more now, even if you want one.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 21 May 2016 10:35:14 +0100, News
wrote:

In message , AnthonyL
writes
wrote:

OK, thanks to you both (Mike and Andy). Point taken, and D-Link 5-Port
Gigabit Switch ordered through ebuyer, partly because, having read the
comments and reviews in another thread, I could not resist the Xenta 163
Piece Rotary Tool and Accessory Kit.

Oh what a shame - so you're not interested in a fully managed (user
has control of all the switch settings) switch then? Fits a full size
rack.

I prefer KISS!

So do I.
I had a customer with a pharmacy, maybe a dozen workstations, EPOS
etc, all in a Windows workgroup, all nice and simple, except, for
reasons that escape me, someone had installed this expensive managed
switch.

I had been asked to install an additional workstation, and the
required network cabling had been installed, but all the spare ports
on the switch had been disabled and thee was no one available who
could administer the switch, so, I had to find a consumer grade D-Link
that we normally use for our customers, to split one of the working
ports two ways.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham. wrote:

someone had installed this expensive managed switch.
I had been asked to install an additional workstation, and the
required network cabling had been installed, but all the spare ports
on the switch had been disabled and thee was no one available who
could administer the switch, so, I had to find a consumer grade D-Link
that we normally use for our customers, to split one of the working
ports two ways.

You're lucky the BOFH hadn't enabled port security on the switch to
limit it to a single MAC address per port :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/05/2016 20:02, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Graham. writes:
On Sat, 21 May 2016 13:02:55 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

On 21/05/2016 10:36, News wrote:
In message , Andy Burns
writes
Bob Minchin wrote:

D-Link 5-Port Gigabit Switch ordered

When you set it up, you need to turn off DHCP in the new switch

Not likely to have DHCP ability, not likely to be managed at all.

I'll see what the instructions say, when it arrives. Am hoping for
'plug and play'.

Yup, just plug it in and it will work.

The only thing that might upset matters, is if you loop back one port to
another!

Bloody good stress-test though.

I think all switches detect that and isolate those segments
(without the need for Spanning Tree which is used in larger
networks to prevent loops).

It was much more of an issue with hubs, which generally didn't
have the intelligence to detect it, but you can't buy hubs for
a decade or more now, even if you want one.

That pretty much concurs with my expectation. However I have had odd
situations where a modern switch has been floored by odd cabling
circumstances.

One was a managed switch that did support spanning tree - but it was
turned off by default, and that did get the hump with a loop back. The
other one was quite recently where a switch just refused to reliably
pass traffic, while at the same time looking very "busy" judging by the
LEDs. In the end I traced that[1] to one wall port connection. Patching
that one port was basically enough to send it off into an odd state,
where machines could still DHCP through the switch, but not actually
pass useful traffic.

[1] In the end I had to unpatch everything on the switch, just leaving
the router and my laptop. Left that pinging the router, and then watched
carefully as I re-patched each wall port - eventually found one that
caused it to apparently die. Testing that one cable run showed a mix of
shorted and broken pairs. Which on closer inspection looked like a mouse
had been having a nosh in one of the floor ports!

I cut off the nibbled socket, and cut back the cable a few inches.
Reterminated it, and its been fine since.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

I think all switches detect that and isolate those segments
(without the need for Spanning Tree which is used in larger
networks to prevent loops).

Maybe newer el-cheapo switches do, but older D-links don't and is the
reason I cheerfully remove them whenever I find one lurking under a desk ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Michael Chare" wrote in message
On 21/05/2016 07:27, News wrote:

[...]

Lot simpler to just buy a basic switch. They don’t cost
enough to matter and are a lot simpler to setup.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 21 May 2016 10:36:08 +0100, News
wrote:

In message , Andy Burns
writes
Bob Minchin wrote:

D-Link 5-Port Gigabit Switch ordered

When you set it up, you need to turn off DHCP in the new switch

Not likely to have DHCP ability, not likely to be managed at all.

I'll see what the instructions say, when it arrives. Am hoping for
'plug and play'.

I really can't think of sometime any more 'plug and play' than an
Ethernet switch. It's about the same as a multiway trailing socket.
;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/05/16 09:54, Bob Minchin wrote:
News wrote:
In message , Andy Burns
writes
News wrote:

Would the simplest solution be to spend a tenner or so on a switch?
Any complicated set up or plug and play?

Yes, as far as home switches are concerned, they're plug and forget.
You could push the boat out and get a gigabit one for a couple of quid
more.

OK, thanks to you both (Mike and Andy). Point taken, and D-Link 5-Port
Gigabit Switch ordered through ebuyer, partly because, having read the
comments and reviews in another thread, I could not resist the Xenta 163
Piece Rotary Tool and Accessory Kit.

When you set it up, you need to turn off DHCP in the new switch so that
your current modem/switch still remains in charge of allocating IP
addresses.

The DGS-1005D 5-Port 10/100/1000BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet Switch was
designed for easy installation and high
performance in an environment where traffic on the network and the
number of users increase continuously.
ï‚· Five 10/100/1000BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet ports
ï‚· Cable Diagnostics function at Switch boot up
ï‚· Supports Auto-Negotiation for 10/100/1000Mbps and duplex mode
ï‚· Supports Auto-MDI/MDIX for each port
ï‚· Supports Full/Half duplex transfer mode for 10 and 100Mbps
ï‚· Supports Full-duplex transfer mode for 1000Mbps
ï‚· Full wire speed reception and transmission
ï‚· Store-and-Forward switching method
ï‚· Supports 4K absolute MAC addresses
ï‚· Supports 128KBytes RAM for data buffering
ï‚· IEEE 802.3x flow control for full duplex
ï‚· IEEE 802.1p priority queues
ï‚· Back pressure flow control for half duplex
ï‚· Jumbo Frame Support at 1000Mbps (9000Bytes )
ï‚· D-Links Green Technology

Where in that list, do you see ANY mention of DHCP??

and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally
important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for
the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the
truth is the greatest enemy of the State.

Joseph Goebbels

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , T i m
writes
wrote:

I'll see what the instructions say, when it arrives. Am hoping for
'plug and play'.

I really can't think of sometime any more 'plug and play' than an
Ethernet switch. It's about the same as a multiway trailing socket.
;-)

Good! I will report back, when it arrives.

Strange that Andrew mentioned hubs, up there ^. I do have a 3com hub,
which I tried. It worked, but killed the speed.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
News writes:
Strange that Andrew mentioned hubs, up there ^. I do have a 3com hub,
which I tried. It worked, but killed the speed.

Probably only 10Mbits/s.
ICBR, but I think hubs had vanished before 100Mbit ethernet became popular
(possibly because they can't convert speeds to perform interworking).

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

News writes:

I do have a 3com hub, which I tried. It worked, but killed the
speed.

Probably only 10Mbits/s. ICBR, but I think hubs had vanished before
100Mbit ethernet became popular (possibly because they can't convert
speeds to perform interworking).

3COM did make a few 10/100 "fast hubs" which IIRC were essentially a
10Mb hub and a 100Mb hub in the same case, with a bridge between them,
the speed of a given port determined which hub it got connected to.

But yes, 100Mb switches became sensibly priced at around the same time,
so 10/100 hubs were short lived, a few years ago they were a bit sought
after as 100Mb "tap" interfaces, but now you can use mirror ports on
managed switches or buy dedicated 1Gb mirror devices.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 21 May 2016 20:02:49 +0100, Graham.
wrote:

On Sat, 21 May 2016 10:35:14 +0100, News
wrote:

In message , AnthonyL
writes
wrote:

[...]

Well that's pretty well how I ended up with the Cisco. For some
reason the customer I had supplied with hardware and software for
years bought the managed switch for his small network. He couldn't
get it to work with the Novell server so I got involved. Once I
showed him a simple switch would do the job fine he got one from me
and gave me the Cisco which for interest I quite easily configured for
our near identical Novell network. But I've never found a use for a
managed switch also preferring KISS so it's barely ever been used.

--
AnthonyL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Sat, 21 May 2016 10:35:14 +0100, News
wrote:

In message , AnthonyL
writes
wrote:

[...]

I've never seen a managed switch under a sort of thousand up machine network

Where you want certain segments to talk to each other, others not.

Typical use might be fort say 3 segments - two sets of clients one set
of servers - where every client can talk to the servers but the clients
are not to talk to each other.

...I'd spend it on drink.

Sir Henry (at Rawlinson's End)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/05/16 10:13, AnthonyL wrote:

Well that's pretty well how I ended up with the Cisco. For some
reason the customer I had supplied with hardware and software for
years bought the managed switch for his small network. He couldn't
get it to work with the Novell server so I got involved. Once I
showed him a simple switch would do the job fine he got one from me
and gave me the Cisco which for interest I quite easily configured for
our near identical Novell network. But I've never found a use for a
managed switch also preferring KISS so it's barely ever been used.

I've never seen a managed switch under a sort of thousand up machine
network

I have one on my home network... its quite handy for dropping a not to
subtle hint to the sprogs that its too late to be playing minecraft or
streaming films etc ;-)

Where you want certain segments to talk to each other, others not.

Typical use might be fort say 3 segments - two sets of clients one set
of servers - where every client can talk to the servers but the clients
are not to talk to each other.

Indeed - quite handy for situations in even small offices where you have
two unconnected businesses sharing resources or internet connections,
but you want some isolation between them.

--
Cheers,

John.