Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DIY penetrating oil.

Do any of you have your own formulas for DIY penetrating oil? This video
on making your own is pretty annoying but the test at the end is
interesting if its not fixed!
Jump to 4:30 for comparisons and his test.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WuV...c#action=share

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 18 May 2016 10:42:34 +0100, Muddymike
wrote:

Do any of you have your own formulas for DIY penetrating oil?

I've used a mix of Dexron (ATF) and white spirit for ages. I've tried
Dexron and Acetone but it wasn't noticeably better, was more expensive
and Acetone is generally less easily available. Unlike White Spirit
it also dissolves many plastics. Dexron II by the gallon is about
20.

With any penetrating fluid the longer you can leave it on the better.
The white spirit/Dexron mix is cheap enough that you can put a gallon
in a can and immerse things in it for weeks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Do any of you have your own formulas for DIY penetrating oil?

I've used a mix of Dexron (ATF) and white spirit for ages. I've tried
Dexron and Acetone but it wasn't noticeably better, was more expensive
and Acetone is generally less easily available. Unlike White Spirit
it also dissolves many plastics. Dexron II by the gallon is about
Ł20.

With any penetrating fluid the longer you can leave it on the better.
The white spirit/Dexron mix is cheap enough that you can put a gallon
in a can and immerse things in it for weeks.

The thinner the oil the better. Baby oil is what, 50p or so last time I got some. But don't waste it, you must consider the welfare of the babies.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Do any of you have your own formulas for DIY penetrating oil?

I've used a mix of Dexron (ATF) and white spirit for ages. I've tried
Dexron and Acetone but it wasn't noticeably better, was more expensive
and Acetone is generally less easily available. Unlike White Spirit
it also dissolves many plastics. Dexron II by the gallon is about
20.

With any penetrating fluid the longer you can leave it on the better.
The white spirit/Dexron mix is cheap enough that you can put a gallon
in a can and immerse things in it for weeks.

The formulation of Dexron has varied quite a bit over time. Modern ATFs
are usually synthetic but I am struggling to find details of the usual
additives. They probably contain corrosion inhibitors which may help to
dissolve rust.

I always used to reckon the original liquid Plus Gas was very effective,
it is supposed to contain corrosion inhibitors but the MSDS is not very
forthcoming:

http://docs-europe.electrocomponents...6b8001e5f2.pdf
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 18 May 2016 10:42:39 UTC+1, Muddymike wrote:
Do any of you have your own formulas for DIY penetrating oil? This video
on making your own is pretty annoying but the test at the end is
interesting if its not fixed!
Jump to 4:30 for comparisons and his test.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WuV...c#action=share

Mike

Diesel oil plus a bit of lubricating/engine oil.

Penetrating oil soup[_8_] UK diy 27 August 20th 15 02:36 AM
Penetrating/releasing oil [email protected] UK diy 22 July 16th 13 08:32 PM
3 in 1 penetrating oil Tim+ UK diy 70 March 18th 13 02:07 PM
"Penetrating" Oil Ted Bennett Metalworking 9 May 26th 04 12:22 PM
need better-than-oil penetrating oil JohnM Metalworking 6 July 11th 03 07:12 AM