Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Research Project

I am a graduate student working on a project focused on community innovation.
My research sets out to explore How does a young homeowner (with children
under 5 years) of an independent house manage household tasks? As a new
homeowner and a mom of a thirteen month old, I strive hard to manage my house.
There have been days when I forget to switch off the thermostat, fireplace,
disarm the security system, check my mailbox for days, put trash bins out for
collection, close the garage door, and put laundry into the dryer after the
washer cycle. In short, Ive been in need of a solution that can help me be
more organized in running household chores. Have you tried putting any
mechanism in place for a smooth and on-time execution of household chores? Or
have you come across anybody who has tried to device a mechanism to manage
household tasks? Your inputs will help me conclude my research. Thanks!

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy/...t-1130599-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article s.com,
Mehtapragya wrote:
[...]

You could ask your therapist why you've posted to a UK group?

--
*WHAT IF THERE WERE NO HYPOTHETICAL QUESTIONS?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mehtapragya wrote

[...]

Yes, I personally use alarms in Outlook to remind me
to do the time critical stuff when it needs to be done.

Bit harder for some stuff tho like being reminded that
I need to do some stuff as I leave the house when it
doesnt have a specific time when it needs to be done.

In theory it is possible to have your smartphone remind
you when you pass a specific place and in theory at least
that can be at say the point where your driveway meets
the road, but in practice it isnt that accurate. And even if
it was, it doesnt work reliably. I set one up for one of the
petrol stations where it is so primitive that they dont even
have a display of the pump reading at the cash register, he
just looks out the window at the pump and if someone
else has started to use the single pump just after you
have finished using it, before you have walked into
where the cash register is, he has to take the customer's
word on what the pump showed as what is owing.

I attempted to use that location based reminder to remind
me that I needed to take a photo of the pump display as
I put the pump nozzle back in the side of the pump, but
have found that it hardly ever reminds me as I drive past
that petrol station. Maybe it would if I actually pumped
some petrol, but I haven't done that since.

Or have you come across anybody who has tried to device a mechanism to
manage household tasks?

Yes, I have done that with the lights around the house.

Wouldnt be that hard to do that with the garage door etc too.

Bit harder to organise it to put the rug rat in its cage when it is
getting bratty tho, let alone wipe its arse when that is necessary.

A good dog might help with the cage.

Your inputs will help me conclude my research. Thanks!

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy/...t-1130599-.htm using
HomeOwnersHub's Web, Mobile and Social Media Interface to
uk.d-i-y and other home improvement groups

Whoops, might even have a look and see if my reply makes it there.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mehtapragya a crit :
Your inputs will help me conclude my research. Thanks!

I use my Iphone to remind me of time critical things, pinned up paper
notes for longer term reminders.

Our green and black bins are emptied Tuesday mornings alternate weeks,
which causes me confusion as to which bin needs to be put out from the
bin shed. I made a plastic arrow screwed to the shed roof, which can
swivel to point to the next bin to go out. I rotate the pointer either
when I take a full bin out, or when I bring it back empty. It soon
became an involuntary habit.

I rely heavily on involuntary habit, to remind me to do many things. I
have a keycode entry system to my garage - if I think about entering
the code, I cannot remember it, but leave it to habit and I don't have
a problem unlocking. I cannot remember how to operate our complex
multi-function microwave oven if I think about it, but I manage fine
allowing habit to take over.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 18/05/2016 10:00, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Mehtapragya a crit :
Your inputs will help me conclude my research. Thanks!

I use my Iphone to remind me of time critical things, pinned up paper
notes for longer term reminders.

Our green and black bins are emptied Tuesday mornings alternate weeks,
which causes me confusion as to which bin needs to be put out from the
bin shed. I made a plastic arrow screwed to the shed roof, which can
swivel to point to the next bin to go out. I rotate the pointer either
when I take a full bin out, or when I bring it back empty. It soon
became an involuntary habit.

Round here, the waste and recycling bins are collected every week, but
the garden bins every fortnight. Hardly anybody can remember, so most
people put their garden bins out every week.

I rely heavily on involuntary habit, to remind me to do many things. I
have a keycode entry system to my garage - if I think about entering the
code, I cannot remember it, but leave it to habit and I don't have a
problem unlocking. I cannot remember how to operate our complex
multi-function microwave oven if I think about it, but I manage fine
allowing habit to take over.

I suspect that many of the people on this NG are much older than the OP
has in mind.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 18 May 2016 10:00:36 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Mehtapragya a écrit :
Your inputs will help me conclude my research. Thanks!

I use my Iphone to remind me of time critical things, pinned up paper
notes for longer term reminders.

Our green and black bins are emptied Tuesday mornings alternate weeks,
which causes me confusion as to which bin needs to be put out from the
bin shed. I made a plastic arrow screwed to the shed roof, which can
swivel to point to the next bin to go out. I rotate the pointer either
when I take a full bin out, or when I bring it back empty. It soon
became an involuntary habit.

I have all this (colour coded) in Google Calendar. I can set reminders on
soem things but the bins are just 'there' alternate weeks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 May 2016, Harry Bloomfield
grunted:

I use my Iphone to remind me of time critical things, pinned up paper
notes for longer term reminders.

Our green and black bins are emptied Tuesday mornings alternate weeks,
which causes me confusion as to which bin needs to be put out from the
bin shed. I made a plastic arrow screwed to the shed roof, which can
swivel to point to the next bin to go out. I rotate the pointer either
when I take a full bin out, or when I bring it back empty. It soon
became an involuntary habit.

How do you remember whether you switched the arrow last time though...? Or
even to remember to put the bin out at all (which is my personal issue!)

Fot years I have had a web-based calendar (mine's Yahoo) which has two
recurring fortnightly appointments, which send a reminder to my Iphone
every Tuesday evening; either "Put green bin out" or "Put black bin out".
Works like a charm.

--
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/05/2016 10:32, Lobster wrote:
[...]

What's wrong with an old fashioned paper calendar? You can buy one for
less than a quid and it lasts a whole year. We have one marked up with
alternate bin weeks, and constantly add random items.

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
Muddymike writes

What's wrong with an old fashioned paper calendar? You can buy one for
less than a quid and it lasts a whole year. We have one marked up with
alternate bin weeks, and constantly add random items.

+1!

I really, really could not be arsed to set up some clever electronic
'thing' just to remind me which bin to put out, or when to go to the
dentist.
--
Graeme

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/05/16 10:46, Muddymike wrote:

What's wrong with an old fashioned paper calendar? You can buy one for
less than a quid and it lasts a whole year. We have one marked up with
alternate bin weeks, and constantly add random items.

Doesn't work over the Internet...

Doesn't have multiple overlaid calendars that can be switched on and off...

Doesn't issue reminders for important events...

Those are 3 of the must haves in our house (we have 17 calendars for
various classes of things - it's dead handy being able to say switch all
off except the car and have a full history in agenda mode.)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
F Murtz wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article s.com,
Mehtapragya wrote:
[...]

Of course not. But it's very unlikely he or she will read any replies.

--
*A snooze button is a poor substitute for no alarm clock at all *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/05/16 11:08, News wrote:
In message ,
Muddymike writes

What's wrong with an old fashioned paper calendar? You can buy one for
less than a quid and it lasts a whole year. We have one marked up with
alternate bin weeks, and constantly add random items.

+1!

I really, really could not be arsed to set up some clever electronic
'thing' just to remind me which bin to put out, or when to go to the
dentist.

That depends on whether you have a job that involves sitting in front of
a computer all day

BTW - what would you do if your wife worked all day, so did you, you had
X kids and then at work, you needed to book something in for you and
your wife?

With Google of course, I just check and do it. SWMBO gets notified and
job jobbed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts Wrote in message:
On 18/05/16 11:08, News wrote:
In message ,
Muddymike writes

What's wrong with an old fashioned paper calendar? You can buy one for
less than a quid and it lasts a whole year. We have one marked up with
alternate bin weeks, and constantly add random items.

+1!

I really, really could not be arsed to set up some clever electronic
'thing' just to remind me which bin to put out, or when to go to the
dentist.

That depends on whether you have a job that involves sitting in front of
a computer all day

BTW - what would you do if your wife worked all day, so did you, you had
X kids and then at work, you needed to book something in for you and
your wife?

With Google of course, I just check and do it. SWMBO gets notified and
job jobbed.

It also means I actually put things on the calendar, as with my
phone if I am somewhere and make an appt I can just make an entry
there and then.

But horses for courses :-) a paper calendar works fine for my mum
Chris French
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Muddymike" wrote in message
news
[...]

Doesnt actively remind you to put a bin out.

You can buy one for less than a quid and it lasts a whole year.

Costs nothing to have a free one on your PC or phone.

We have one marked up with alternate bin weeks, and constantly add random
items.

I do all that on the electronic ones and have some
quite fancy ones for complex meals which have
a number of events that need to happen and they
get all done on a single button click. The roast leg
of lamb recipe sets the start time based on the
weight of the leg of lamb.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"News" wrote in message
In message , Muddymike
writes

What's wrong with an old fashioned paper calendar? You can buy one for
less than a quid and it lasts a whole year. We have one marked up with
alternate bin weeks, and constantly add random items.

+1!

I really, really could not be arsed to set up some clever electronic
'thing' just to remind me which bin to put out, or when to go to the
dentist.

More fool you. Beats having to check the calendar every ****ing day
to see what is due that day and doesn't do a damned thing about
stuff that happens later in the day either.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod Speed wrote:

"News" wrote in message
In message , Muddymike
writes

What's wrong with an old fashioned paper calendar? You can buy one for
less than a quid and it lasts a whole year. We have one marked up with
alternate bin weeks, and constantly add random items.

+1!

I really, really could not be arsed to set up some clever electronic
'thing' just to remind me which bin to put out, or when to go to the
dentist.

More fool you. Beats having to check the calendar every ****ing day
to see what is due that day and doesn't do a damned thing about
stuff that happens later in the day either.

However the paper calendar probably beats most electronic ones in
places (like our home) where the mobile coverage is flakey. As a
result our phones get ignored (and discharge) while we're at home.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod Speed wrote:

"Muddymike" wrote in message
news
[...]

Neither does anything here! No mobile coverage so how could it?

You can buy one for less than a quid and it lasts a whole year.

Costs nothing to have a free one on your PC or phone.

But that doesn't actually work.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/05/2016 12:50, Rod Speed wrote:

"News" wrote in message
In message ,
Muddymike writes

More fool you. Beats having to check the calendar every ***** day
to see what is due that day and doesn't do a damned thing about
stuff that happens later in the day either.

What could be simpler than a traditional calendar hanging on the kitchen
wall?

Its always there, every time you pass you can glance at it and
immediately see what's happening. No need to switch anything on or keep
anything charged. With the "Month to view" type we use the whole months
plans are clearly visible to all. Before either of us agree to an event
we check the calendar, what could be simpler. Just walk up to it and
look, no boot time delays, no flat batteries, no double bookings.

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 17 May 2016 21:44:03 UTC+1, Mehtapragya wrote:
[...]

I would think that most here have got themself a wife to do those menial tasks ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Muddymike wrote:
What could be simpler than a traditional calendar hanging on the kitchen
wall?

Its always there, every time you pass you can glance at it and
immediately see what's happening. No need to switch anything on or keep
anything charged. With the "Month to view" type we use the whole months
plans are clearly visible to all. Before either of us agree to an event
we check the calendar, what could be simpler. Just walk up to it and
look, no boot time delays, no flat batteries, no double bookings.

I have a super prog called 'Organizer' on the old Acorn. Looks like a
Filofax.
As well as a diary, it lists anniversaries etc. So no need to spend time
transferring them to a new calendar.

You can also set it to give an alarm at any time before an event.

I'd guess there must be hundreds of similar progs for phones, etc.

--
*What do you call a dinosaur with an extensive vocabulary? A thesaurus.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Called a crib list usually ticked off each day, but they can be reused by
using water souable marker and non porous surfaces. Of course you need to
remember to look and alter as you do stuff. Pilots rely on them a lot..
-)

Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Mehtapragya" wrote in
message roups.com...
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster a crit :
How do you remember whether you switched the arrow last time though...? Or
even to remember to put the bin out at all (which is my personal issue!)

Easy, I do it by deeply ingrained habit. Pull a bin out of it shelter,
flip the arrow over. On the way back with the bin, I double check the
arrow points to the next bin in a week.

I haven't found a solution yet for our brown garden bin emptying, which
is on a Saturday and every two weeks.

Fot years I have had a web-based calendar (mine's Yahoo) which has two
recurring fortnightly appointments, which send a reminder to my Iphone
every Tuesday evening; either "Put green bin out" or "Put black bin out".
Works like a charm.

If I empty the kettle, I make sure I leave it off its cordless stand as
a reminder to fill it before swithing it back on. Just picking it up
and putting it back on the stand, were I to do that, I would notice
there is no weight of water in it.

I have always potentially been terribly forgetful, so I go to a great
deal of trouble to make myself as foolproof as I possibly can and maybe
a bit obsessive about it.

When intending going out I stack things up that I need, by the door so
as not to forget anything like my cellphone. The other day I left the
freezer on rapid freeze for two days, simply because I forgot to sort
out a reminder process. It was -50C when I finally switched in to
normal operation.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 May 2016, Harry Bloomfield
grunted:

I haven't found a solution yet for our brown garden bin emptying,
which is on a Saturday and every two weeks.

Fot years I have had a web-based calendar (mine's Yahoo) which has
two recurring fortnightly appointments, which send a reminder to my
Iphone every Tuesday evening; either "Put green bin out" or "Put
black bin out". Works like a charm.

Easy... A third fortnightly calendar entry "Put brown bin out"

--
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 May 2016, News grunted:

In message ,
Muddymike writes

What's wrong with an old fashioned paper calendar? You can buy one for
less than a quid and it lasts a whole year. We have one marked up with
alternate bin weeks, and constantly add random items.

+1!

I really, really could not be arsed to set up some clever electronic
'thing' just to remind me which bin to put out, or when to go to the
dentist.

Really don't get that attitude TBH. It took me maybe 2 minutes to set up
when I got my first smartphone 6 years ago, and has simply just 'worked'
ever since, with no need to write down new 'bin' entries every week ad
infinitum and it will continue to do so until I want to change it. I'm not
saying paper diaries/calendars don't have their uses, but this specific
calendar entry surely isn't one of them.

--
David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Lobster wrote:
On 18 May 2016, Harry Bloomfield
grunted:

I haven't found a solution yet for our brown garden bin emptying,
which is on a Saturday and every two weeks.

Fot years I have had a web-based calendar (mine's Yahoo) which has
two recurring fortnightly appointments, which send a reminder to my
Iphone every Tuesday evening; either "Put green bin out" or "Put
black bin out". Works like a charm.

Easy... A third fortnightly calendar entry "Put brown bin out"

But you've got to remember to fill in the calendar. And you might forget
one year. ;-)

BTW, a calendar with space for notes usually means smaller print for the
date, etc. Which can make it less use as a calendar.

--
*WHY ARE HEMORRHOIDS CALLED "HEMORRHOIDS" INSTEAD OF "ASTEROIDS"?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/05/2016 16:23, Lobster wrote:
On 18 May 2016, Harry Bloomfield
grunted:

I haven't found a solution yet for our brown garden bin emptying,
which is on a Saturday and every two weeks.

Fot years I have had a web-based calendar (mine's Yahoo) which has
two recurring fortnightly appointments, which send a reminder to my
Iphone every Tuesday evening; either "Put green bin out" or "Put
black bin out". Works like a charm.

Easy... A third fortnightly calendar entry "Put brown bin out"

Or just write it on your wall calendar!

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/05/16 10:32, Lobster wrote:
[...]

I have a linux cron script that does that..

Lucas Bergkamp
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/05/16 16:32, Lobster wrote:
On 18 May 2016, News grunted:

In message ,
Muddymike writes

What's wrong with an old fashioned paper calendar? You can buy one for
less than a quid and it lasts a whole year. We have one marked up with
alternate bin weeks, and constantly add random items.

+1!

I really, really could not be arsed to set up some clever electronic
'thing' just to remind me which bin to put out, or when to go to the
dentist.

Really don't get that attitude TBH. It took me maybe 2 minutes to set up
when I got my first smartphone 6 years ago, and has simply just 'worked'
ever since, with no need to write down new 'bin' entries every week ad
infinitum and it will continue to do so until I want to change it. I'm not
saying paper diaries/calendars don't have their uses, but this specific
calendar entry surely isn't one of them.

Binmail:
8------------------------------------------------------
#!/bin/sh
PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin
"
WEEK=`date -u "+%-V"`

NUM=$((WEEK % 2))

if [ $NUM==1 ]
then
COLOUR="black/brown"
else
COLOUR="blue"
fi

TITLE='Have you put the '$COLOUR' bin out yet?'

/usr/bin/mail -s "$TITLE" $RECIPIENTS /home/me/Scripts/Binmessage

8-----------------------------------------------------------------
Binmessage:
8-----------------------------------------------------------------
Our weekly reminder..
8-----------------------------------------------------------------
Crontab entry
8-----------------------------------------------------------------

17 16 * * 3 leo /home/me/Scripts/Binmail

8-----------------------------------------------------------------

It's not very hard, is it, assuming you have a box that is configured to
send mail

Lucas Bergkamp
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 May 2016, "Dave Plowman (News)" grunted:

In article ,
Lobster wrote:
On 18 May 2016, Harry Bloomfield
grunted:

I haven't found a solution yet for our brown garden bin emptying,
which is on a Saturday and every two weeks.

Fot years I have had a web-based calendar (mine's Yahoo) which has
two recurring fortnightly appointments, which send a reminder to my
Iphone every Tuesday evening; either "Put green bin out" or "Put
black bin out". Works like a charm.

Easy... A third fortnightly calendar entry "Put brown bin out"

But you've got to remember to fill in the calendar. And you might forget
one year. ;-)

You're missing the 'recurring' point... I set up my bin reminders in the
year 2000 IIRC, and they are still in my calendar for decades to come, ie
hopefully long after I've ceased being interested in emptying bins of any
colour

--
David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/05/2016 21:44, Mehtapragya wrote:
[...]

From my experience..... you are a very typical woman don't worry.
A man can handle methodical **** like that. It's how our brains
function. One thing at a time, in order and with a degree of accuracy
and regularity and completion (liker being able to differentiate between
plastic, paper/card and glass when it comes to the recycling bins! )
All the non-ordered, occasional and more important things like a dentist
appointments, the random telephone call to check up on an elderly
relative, birthdays and so on, we are ably assisted by the gentle
reminder, and subsequent 10 minute reminders until task has been
performed from the good lady of the house.

This might sound sexist but.... Women are great at cleaning, dusting,
vacuuming etc because they can carry on processing the million other
thoughts, problems and plans in their head whereas for a man that stuff
(cleaning etc) is more like an exercise in meditation where our brains
can switch off or at least come to a solution for the one SINGLE problem
relating to completion of the NEXT single task to be performed.

Well.... that's how it works for me at least but I'm sure I'm not the
exception to the rule.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 18 May 2016 18:43:54 +0100, "www.GymRatZ.co.uk"
wrote:

snip

From my experience..... you are a very typical woman don't worry.
A man can handle methodical **** like that. It's how our brains
function.

A mate looked into the whole 'what makes us different' thing to see if
he could work out why he and his Mrs didn't get along, after all those
years. He picked up on the Left / Right brain theory (as it worked for
him as a good tool) with a Left 5 being a robot, L1 a 'typical' man,
R1 a typical woman and a R5 a gibbering nervous wreck. Now, before the
naysayers get all excited (who are typically left brainers themselves
g), 'of course' we all generally use both halves of our brains
simultaneously (and the links between them (via the corpus
callosumcan) can be enhanced by tasks like playing the piano) and so
this is more 'dominance' than isolation. Just as people who have a
dominant right hand or eye can still also use the other, all be it to
a slightly lower lever (or they wouldn't be 'handed' in the first
place).

So, he has worked out that his Mrs is possibly a L1 (so not your more
typical R1 for a woman) and he, a R1 (and not an L1). So, the outcome
of this is she thinks everything is fine as she isn't particularly
bothered (or sensitive to) 'feelings' and he is very aware he's not
getting said emotions from her. It's the reversal of the more
stereotypical her saying 'You don't love me any more' or 'you think
more about golf than you do me'. So she planned that they got
together, got engaged, got married, got a house, had two kids, saw to
them till the grew up and left home but her 'plans' then stopped
there. Mate went along with it all because it was obviously what she
wanted and he knew it would make her happy.

One thing at a time, in order and with a degree of accuracy
and regularity and completion (liker being able to differentiate between
plastic, paper/card and glass when it comes to the recycling bins! )

Yup, we (men) (typically L1's) like rules. We like to know what we are
supposed to do and do it ... and why we typically enjoy 'sport' (fixed
rules) more than women.

All the non-ordered, occasional and more important things like a dentist
appointments, the random telephone call to check up on an elderly
relative, birthdays and so on, we are ably assisted by the gentle
reminder, and subsequent 10 minute reminders until task has been
performed from the good lady of the house.

Yup. That starts off with reasonable levels of empathy (an R trait)
and 'Aunty Mable will be upset if she doesn't get a birthday card from
*us*' ... (even if he only manages to sign the card unread). I don't
(and never have sent cards). Because I CGAF about them myself, I can't
see how anyone else might. I am a bloke (by the system my make uses).

This might sound sexist but.... Women are great at cleaning, dusting,
vacuuming etc because they can carry on processing the million other
thoughts,

I think that's actually a bit of a contradiction. Because they
multitask better, they don't single task as well so I don't think they
are 'as good' at such things as us. The difference is they would
actually do it in the first place because of what 'others' might think
(as one reason) but also because they have so many other things to do,
may not put as much effort / detail into doing it we might (if / when
we ever got round to doing it). I know I would clean the car far more
thoroughly than the Mrs but I might not think to do it till she
mentions it. This specifically rates to 'our car' as she generally
wouldn't GAF about how dirty / scruffy 'my car' might be (as she
wouldn't be seen in it and so enviably 'judged' by others). The same
as refusing to go out with me in public when I'm 'dressed as a tramp'
(because I'm welding or painting etc) when we are just doing a bit of
food shopping? I wouldn't even consider for one second how someone
might judge me by what I'm wearing (outside of an interview etc etc).

problems and plans in their head whereas for a man that stuff
(cleaning etc) is more like an exercise in meditation where our brains
can switch off or at least come to a solution for the one SINGLE problem
relating to completion of the NEXT single task to be performed.

Agreed.

Well.... that's how it works for me at least but I'm sure I'm not the
exception to the rule.

No, I don't think you are.

Back to the OPs question ... I typically remember those things that
are important to *me*. That's not that I don't care about the other
things I'm asked to do but have difficulty remembering them,
especially if it doesn't impact me. So, if she says as I'm about to
take some stuff to the dump to 'get some milk', because I'm not
drinking (much) milk atm there is a good chance I'll forget till I
walk back though the door. I'll then (generally) go out and get some
because I didn't intend not to, I just forgot to, even if I managed
(remembered) to pick up some paint and that angle grinder I saw was on
offer on the way home. ;-)

And if I had remembered to 'pick the list up (she told me 60 seconds
earlier) she had put by the microwave' I might have got the milk as
well.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 18 May 2016 16:55:24 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

[...]

FreeBSD has a built in (cron based) calendar that I use for a number of
things. But I also use Google Calendar (as stated); one useful bit is
that one calendar (it can merge several) is a Family one. SWMBO puts
(inter alia) the Ocado delivery time on it each week (as it varies). And
of course it saves me carrying a paper calendar round with me, as it all
pops up on the mobile.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mehtapragya a écrit :
Your inputs will help me conclude my research. Thanks!

I use my Iphone to remind me of time critical things, pinned up paper
notes for longer term reminders.

Our green and black bins are emptied Tuesday mornings alternate weeks,
which causes me confusion as to which bin needs to be put out from the
bin shed. I made a plastic arrow screwed to the shed roof, which can
swivel to point to the next bin to go out. I rotate the pointer either
when I take a full bin out, or when I bring it back empty. It soon
became an involuntary habit.

I have all this (colour coded) in Google Calendar. I can set reminders on
soem things but the bins are just 'there' alternate weeks.

Another +1 for Google Calendar. There's a lot of flexibility in "custom"
notifications. I love the way I can access it on my phone, my tablets,
or *any* connected computer, even on client IT systems.

Also great for sharing events with the wife.

"But I *told* you about this."

"But it's not in calendar."

I wish it had been available ~ 15 years ago when my mother was
succumbing to Alzheimers'. Effectively, you can put events with
reminders in someone else's calendar. I reckon properly set up Android
tablets and/or phones are within the capability of most elderly people
now. I am certainly hoping that my wife and/or children will do it for
me when the time comes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5/18/2016 11:48 AM, Chris French wrote:
Tim Watts Wrote in message:
On 18/05/16 11:08, News wrote:
In message ,
Muddymike writes

[...]

+1

But horses for courses :-) a paper calendar works fine for my mum

Agreed

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mehtapragya a écrit :
[...]

Exactly.

Until 3 or 4 years ago we did this with a Sasco year planner on the
landing!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote
Rod Speed wrote
News wrote
Muddymike wrote

What's wrong with an old fashioned paper calendar? You can buy one
for less than a quid and it lasts a whole year. We have one marked up
with alternate bin weeks, and constantly add random items.

+1!

I really, really could not be arsed to set up some clever electronic
'thing'
just to remind me which bin to put out, or when to go to the dentist.

More fool you. Beats having to check the calendar every ****ing
day to see what is due that day and doesn't do a damned thing
about stuff that happens later in the day either.

However the paper calendar probably beats most electronic ones
in places (like our home) where the mobile coverage is flakey.

Not if you have enough of a clue to have a decent mobile phone
that uses your wifi when the mobile coverage is flaky and which
will still remind you about the dentist's appointment when you
arent home or are just out walking the dog etc. Something no
paper calendar will ever be able to do.

And any decent mobile phone will remind you about
stuff even when it is out of range of wifi and mobile too.

As a result our phones get ignored
(and discharge) while we're at home.

More fool you.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Muddymike wrote
Lobster wrote
Harry Bloomfield wrote

[...]

Neither does anything here!

Wrong!

No mobile coverage so how could it?

By having an app in the phone that reminds you without
communicating with anything, so no mobile coverage is needed.

You can buy one for less than a quid and it lasts a whole year.

Costs nothing to have a free one on your PC or phone.

But that doesn't actually work.

Corse it does. My PC has no mobile service, it reminds me fine.

My phone reminds me fine using the app in the phone
which doesnt need any mobile coverage to remind me
of events that I have put into the app on the phone.

It reminds me repeatedly to change the bottle the still
is dripping the neat ethanol into without any mobile
coverage what so ever. And reminds me about anything
I choose to get it to remind me about without any mobile
coverage what so ever.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Muddymike wrote
Rod Speed wrote
News wrote
Muddymike wrote

What's wrong with an old fashioned paper calendar? You can buy one
for less than a quid and it lasts a whole year. We have one marked up
with alternate bin weeks, and constantly add random items.

+1!

I really, really could not be arsed to set up some clever electronic
'thing' just to remind me which bin to put out, or when to go to the
dentist.

More fool you. Beats having to check the calendar every ****ing day to
see what is due that day and doesn't do a damned thing about stuff that
happens later in the day either.

What could be simpler than a traditional calendar hanging on the kitchen
wall?

Something that is included with the electronic devices you
have and which goes with you wherever you happen to be.

Its always there,

So is the phone with most people now.

every time you pass you can glance at it

Dont need to bother when it reminds you with no activity on your part.

and immediately see what's happening.

And dont need to when it reminds you when it needs to.

No need to switch anything on

But when you have to do that anyway...

or keep anything charged.

But when you have to do that anyway...

With the "Month to view" type we use the whole months plans are clearly
visible to all.

And you have to fart around putting in the
repeats every ****ing week for the bin etc.

With the electronic replacement, you do it once
and never need to do anything again unless the
time you need to be reminded of changes.

Before either of us agree to an event we check the calendar,

And that isnt possible when the agreement
on the event isnt done at home.

what could be simpler.

A decent replacement that not only allows you
to enter the new event when you arent at home.

Just walk up to it and look,

Dont need to walk anywhere with the phone.

no boot time delays,

None with the phone.

no flat batteries,

None with the phone.

no double bookings.

None with the electronic replacement either.

And lots of stuff no paper calendar on the fridge
can ever do, like remind you when you are out
and about and forgot about the event when
you headed out, can wake you up when you
are having a snooze or have dropped off while
reading the paper, or out walking the dog,
and the other party can amend the event
time when they need to too, etc etc etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Watts
writes

BTW - what would you do if your wife worked all day, so did you, you
had X kids and then at work, you needed to book something in for you
and your wife?

Phone her.
--
Graeme

Men's Health Research Memphis Electronics Repair 1 August 12th 10 06:43 PM
know about stemcells research.... [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 March 7th 08 10:51 AM
Shop Vac research Joe Woodworking 6 March 14th 07 03:21 PM
Plans of 3-bed ecohomes needed for research project. jamie UK diy 2 August 22nd 06 09:48 PM
research help A Johnson Home Ownership 0 October 13th 04 03:14 AM