Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Research Project

In message , Lobster
writes

Really don't get that attitude TBH. It took me maybe 2 minutes to set up
when I got my first smartphone 6 years ago, and has simply just 'worked'
ever since, with no need to write down new 'bin' entries every week ad
infinitum and it will continue to do so until I want to change it. I'm not
saying paper diaries/calendars don't have their uses, but this specific
calendar entry surely isn't one of them.

Habit. I'm in the habit of adding stuff to the calendar, and checking
the calendar. I'm not in the habit of looking at the phone. Just
charged and used the phone whilst away from home, which is the first
time I've used the phone since last away from home, in October last
year.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Muddymike wrote:

What's wrong with an old fashioned paper calendar? You can buy one for
less than a quid and it lasts a whole year. We have one marked up with
alternate bin weeks, and constantly add random items.

Our local authority actually provides a calendar personalised for
each area, with all collections shown and colour coded. This
includes changes around bank holidays, and no green bin
collection around Christmas.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 18 May 2016 16:14:46 UTC+1, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

as not to forget anything like my cellphone. The other day I left the
freezer on rapid freeze for two days, simply because I forgot to sort
out a reminder process. It was -50C when I finally switched in to
normal operation.

domestic freezers certainly aren't capable of that.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 17 May 2016 21:44:03 UTC+1, Mehtapragya wrote:

I am a graduate student working on a project focused on community innovation.
My research sets out to explore How does a young homeowner (with children
under 5 years) of an independent house manage household tasks? As a new
homeowner and a mom of a thirteen month old, I strive hard to manage my house.
There have been days when I forget to switch off the thermostat, fireplace,
disarm the security system, check my mailbox for days, put trash bins out for
collection, close the garage door, and put laundry into the dryer after the
washer cycle. In short, Ive been in need of a solution that can help me be
more organized in running household chores. Have you tried putting any
mechanism in place for a smooth and on-time execution of household chores? Or
have you come across anybody who has tried to device a mechanism to manage
household tasks? Your inputs will help me conclude my research. Thanks!

Practice. Paper with jobs listed on.

And we're not so clueless as to believe this is research, or that there's anything innovative about it, or that you who can't solve your own problem is going to solve everyone else's.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...up_access_tips

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/05/2016 21:02, T i m wrote:
refusing to go out with me in public when I'm 'dressed as a tramp'

Oh how often do I get that one thrown at me.

If clothes fit they don't need replacing until such time as they start
falling to bits, then they become the "new" DIY clothes until they
actually really do fall to bits.

Thanks for the ever insightful reply T i m
And yes cleaning, I'd say that a woman is "better" in the sense she
gives a quick once-over every few days which is more effective than my
meticulous and obsessive attention to detail cleaning style that gets
done very infrequently but is still required now and again for the bits
like the pipes behind the toilet and other such places that can't be seen.

Not bothered how dirty my car is. It's a car and if does what a car/van
is supposed to do then it's just fine. Which is why the scratches don't
bother me nor do the original steel wheels.
When it ceases to economically function as intended due to mounting
repair costs it will get replaced.

Same with clothes. IDGAF about the opinions of others, I don't have any
need to impress anyone through the pretence of image.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
writes

If clothes fit they don't need replacing until such time as they start
falling to bits, then they become the "new" DIY clothes until they
actually really do fall to bits.

Absolutely!

IDGAF about the opinions of others, I don't have any
need to impress anyone through the pretence of image.

And again :-) I long ago lost any need I may have had to impress others
with a smart car, fashionable clothes or any other such crap.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 19 May 2016 07:36:42 +0100, Chris J Dixon wrote:

Muddymike wrote:

What's wrong with an old fashioned paper calendar? You can buy one for
less than a quid and it lasts a whole year. We have one marked up with
alternate bin weeks, and constantly add random items.

Our local authority actually provides a calendar personalised for each
area, with all collections shown and colour coded. This includes changes
around bank holidays, and no green bin collection around Christmas.

So does ours. But it is immediately transferred into Google Calendar
(colour codes and all) so that everyuthing is in one place.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 18 May 2016 10:46:26 +0100, Muddymike
wrote:

What's wrong with an old fashioned paper calendar? You can buy one for
less than a quid and it lasts a whole year. We have one marked up with
alternate bin weeks, and constantly add random items.

The fact that my Missus and her Australian rellies will insist on
sending each other bloody calenders for Christmas that's what.

I should be used to it by now but I still look at the one she has put
up and go WTF, what bank holiday is that i've planned to do something
on before noticing it is something like Picnic day in the Northern
Territory . 1st of August if anyone wants to take a flask, blanket
and some sandwiches.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Rod wrote:

wrote in message
news
On 18/05/2016 10:32, Lobster wrote:

On 18 May 2016, Harry
grunted:

I use my Iphone to remind me of time critical things, pinned up paper
notes for longer term reminders.

Our green and black bins are emptied Tuesday mornings alternate weeks,
which causes me confusion as to which bin needs to be put out from the
bin shed. I made a plastic arrow screwed to the shed roof, which can
swivel to point to the next bin to go out. I rotate the pointer either
when I take a full bin out, or when I bring it back empty. It soon
became an involuntary habit.

How do you remember whether you switched the arrow last time though...?
Or
even to remember to put the bin out at all (which is my personal issue!)

Fot years I have had a web-based calendar (mine's Yahoo) which has two
recurring fortnightly appointments, which send a reminder to my Iphone
every Tuesday evening; either "Put green bin out" or "Put black bin out".
Works like a charm.

What's wrong with an old fashioned paper calendar?

Doesnt actively remind you to put a bin out.

Neither does anything here! No mobile coverage so how could it?

You can buy one for less than a quid and it lasts a whole year.

Costs nothing to have a free one on your PC or phone.

But that doesn't actually work.

When the bin goes out on different days some weeks, because of public
holidays, a fixed electronic calendar can't cope.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Capitol wrote:
wrote:
Rod wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

I have to use Outlook reminders for my bins, otherwise I'd certainly
need to run down and drag the bin out in my pyjamas every once in a
while (the reversing beep wakes us up, if we're not already up and
about). When it's a public holiday, I use the 'Remind me again in...'
button to snooze it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 19 May 2016 08:20:10 +0100, News
wrote:

In message ,
writes

If clothes fit they don't need replacing until such time as they start
falling to bits, then they become the "new" DIY clothes until they
actually really do fall to bits.

Absolutely!

The problem I have is I'll often not differentiate between what are
supposed to be my 'best / good' clothes and what are now for diy,
meaning if I'm somewhere and need to do something that might get me
'dirty' (and might ruin clothes) then I'll do it.

IDGAF about the opinions of others, I don't have any
need to impress anyone through the pretence of image.

And again :-) I long ago lost any need I may have had to impress others
with a smart car, fashionable clothes or any other such crap.

Luckily (I feel now) I haven't *ever* had such an issue and part of
that was being an odd size (tall and slim but with a large neck) and
only being able to sensibly afford 'practical vehicles'. So, when
mates had Mexicos and the like, I had a Morris Minor Van. They were
wearing the latest fashion and I couldn't, even if I wanted because
little would fit me. I didn't have time (or money) to try to pull
birds ... or go to the pub or club or smoke because I was busy
building and running a mobile disco and 1,000,000 other hobbies and
interests ... and a girlfriend. ;-)

We are lucky that our daughter has had the confidence to not feel
pressurised to 'conform'. If we give her 20 quid for her birthday she
would probably take it in the charity shop and come out with some nice
stuff. She's very happy driving a 2001 Corsa with 175,000 miles on the
clock she bought for 400 quid a good few years ago now and her van
looks like a van that is actually used but I fear she doesn't
represent 'the norm' these days. ;-(

Unfortunately 'fashion' seems to look like what I wear with jeans with
the knees worn out and paint splashes on sweatshirts etc. ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 19 May 2016 10:04:43 +0100, Capitol wrote:

wrote:
Rod wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

Actually, it can. When you get the notification from the council, just
adjust that one date. That's what I do. The sheet only comes once a year
so it's hardly an issue.

Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Capitol" wrote in message
o.uk...
wrote:
Rod wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

Corse it can when the council has enough of a clue to have
the bin template downloadable.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 18 May 2016 17:59:59 UTC+1, Lobster wrote:
On 18 May 2016, "Dave Plowman (News)" grunted:

In article ,
Lobster wrote:
On 18 May 2016, Harry Bloomfield
grunted:

I haven't found a solution yet for our brown garden bin emptying,
which is on a Saturday and every two weeks.

Fot years I have had a web-based calendar (mine's Yahoo) which has
two recurring fortnightly appointments, which send a reminder to my
Iphone every Tuesday evening; either "Put green bin out" or "Put
black bin out". Works like a charm.

Easy... A third fortnightly calendar entry "Put brown bin out"

But you've got to remember to fill in the calendar. And you might forget
one year. ;-)

You're missing the 'recurring' point... I set up my bin reminders in the
year 2000 IIRC, and they are still in my calendar for decades to come, ie
hopefully long after I've ceased being interested in emptying bins of any
colour

My bin collection days seem to change quite regaularly then there's back holidays when it changes again. But luckliy we aren't supposed to put the bins out anyway.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 18 May 2016 18:44:00 UTC+1, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
On 17/05/2016 21:44, Mehtapragya wrote:
[...]

From my experience..... you are a very typical woman don't worry.
A man can handle methodical **** like that. It's how our brains
function. One thing at a time, in order and with a degree of accuracy
and regularity and completion (liker being able to differentiate between
plastic, paper/card and glass when it comes to the recycling bins! )
All the non-ordered, occasional and more important things like a dentist
appointments, the random telephone call to check up on an elderly
relative, birthdays and so on, we are ably assisted by the gentle
reminder, and subsequent 10 minute reminders until task has been
performed from the good lady of the house.

This might sound sexist but.... Women are great at cleaning, dusting,
vacuuming etc because they can carry on processing the million other
thoughts, problems and plans in their head.

yes, they have a capacity to worry about whether the scatter cushions match or clash with the curtains and the carpet and worry about it.

whereas for a man that stuff
(cleaning etc) is more like an exercise in meditation where our brains
can switch off or at least come to a solution for the one SINGLE problem
relating to completion of the NEXT single task to be performed.

Yes and we make better desinions on the equipment to be used, a vacuum with an MP3 player would be cool.

Well.... that's how it works for me at least but I'm sure I'm not the
exception to the rule.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 19 May 2016 12:59:57 UTC+1, whisky-dave wrote:

Yes and we make better desinions on the equipment to be used, a vacuum with an MP3 player would be cool.

It might be if it could manage active noise cancellation.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Rod Speed, Mehtapragya wrote:
Thank you for your inputs. It will help my research!

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy/...t-1130599-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 20 May 2016 04:44:05 UTC+1, Mehtapragya wrote:
replying to Rod Speed, Mehtapragya wrote:

Thank you for your inputs. It will help my research!

It's worse than I thought.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/05/16 04:44, Mehtapragya wrote:
replying to Rod Speed, Mehtapragya wrote:
Thank you for your inputs. It will help my research!

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy/...t-1130599-.htm

ROFLMAO!

Rod speed and Homeowmers Hub.

Purrfect!

"Saki"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mehtapragya" wrote in
message roups.com...
replying to Rod Speed, Mehtapragya wrote:
Thank you for your inputs. It will help my research!

No problem, happy to help. Thanks for the
reply, pretty uncommon from that forum.

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy/...t-1130599-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Rod Speed, Mehtapragya wrote:
Thank you for the response!

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy/...t-1130599-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Harry Bloomfield, Mehtapragya wrote:
Thanks! It is really helpful.

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy/...t-1130599-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Lobster, Mehtapragya wrote:
Add reply

Thank you for the response! Its is helpful.

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy/...t-1130599-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Bob Eager, Mehtapragya wrote:
Add reply

Thank you!

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy/...t-1130599-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to newshound, Mehtapragya wrote:
Add reply

Thank you! It is really helpful.

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy/...t-1130599-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Muddymike, Mehtapragya wrote:
Add reply

Thank you! Your reply is helpful.

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy/...t-1130599-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Tim Watts, Mehtapragya wrote:
Add reply

Thanks for the response! If you do not mind then could you tell me which
classes you have identified for your calendars?

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy/...t-1130599-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/05/16 02:44, Mehtapragya wrote:
replying to Tim Watts, Mehtapragya wrote:
Add reply

Thanks for the response! If you do not mind then could you tell me which
classes you have identified for your calendars?

**** OFF NODDY!!!

look exactly the same afterwards."

Billy Connolly
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 26 May 2016 02:44:04 UTC+1, Mehtapragya wrote:

Add reply

Thank you! Your reply is helpful.

uhh, another bot's broken

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to The Natural Philosopher, Mehtapragya wrote:
Could you elaborate a bit on your linux solution?

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy/...t-1130599-.htm

Men's Health Research Memphis Electronics Repair 1 August 12th 10 06:43 PM
know about stemcells research.... [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 March 7th 08 10:51 AM
Shop Vac research Joe Woodworking 6 March 14th 07 03:21 PM
Plans of 3-bed ecohomes needed for research project. jamie UK diy 2 August 22nd 06 09:48 PM
research help A Johnson Home Ownership 0 October 13th 04 03:14 AM