Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default The new Barton Lift Bridge has collapsed.

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourc...0lift%20bridge

It's a miracle no one was hurt. Looks like a major setback though.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/05/16 18:13, Graham. wrote:

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourc...0lift%20bridge

It's a miracle no one was hurt. Looks like a major setback though.

Sign of the times. General incompetence, and the prevailing political
attitude that if enough people believe in it enough, and you pay enough
for it, its real.

--
How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think.

Adolf Hitler

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/05/2016 18:13, Graham. wrote:

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourc...0lift%20bridge

It's a miracle no one was hurt. Looks like a major setback though.

Yes, God knows what damage it has done to the bridge deck; one of the
lift towers has a hole in the side and I'm sure that the recoil of the
snapping cables or breakinbg machinery won't have done the interior of
the towers much good either.

In the meantime, it's to be hoped that no ships want to head past as the
whole canal is blocked.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 17 May 2016 18:13:56 +0100
Graham. wrote:

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourc...0lift%20bridge

It's a miracle no one was hurt. Looks like a major setback though.

Is this a replacement for the Barton Swing Bridge, or something totally
different?

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

You would imagine that when designing these things, they would take into
account damage that could be done in common failure modes would you not?
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Steve Walker" wrote in message
On 17/05/2016 18:13, Graham. wrote:

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourc...0lift%20bridge

It's a miracle no one was hurt. Looks like a major setback though.

Yes, God knows what damage it has done to the bridge deck; one of the lift
towers has a hole in the side and I'm sure that the recoil of the snapping
cables or breakinbg machinery won't have done the interior of the towers
much good either.

In the meantime, it's to be hoped that no ships want to head past as the
whole canal is blocked.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:

You would imagine that when designing these things, they would take into
account damage that could be done in common failure modes would you not?

Someone needs to update a webpage ...

http://adslpipe.co.uk/misc/svlp.jpg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

Someone needs to update a webpage ...
http://adslpipe.co.uk/misc/svlp.jpg

Brian, the picture is from the website of civil engineers building the
vertical lift bridge, proudly proclaiming

Trust us to deliver. Zero accidents.

it still says that at the time of posting ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/05/2016 15:23, Brian Gaff wrote:
You would imagine that when designing these things, they would take into
account damage that could be done in common failure modes would you not?

It's a failure during construction, not during normal use, so I'm not
sure that really applies.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham. wrote:

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourc...0lift%20bridge

It's a miracle no one was hurt. Looks like a major setback though.

Is this a replacement for the Barton Swing Bridge, or something totally
different?

No. Because of all the traffic problems caused by the Trafford Centre
(why they didn't give it its own motorway exit and keep traffic
segregated from passing traffic I don't know), they are putting a new
bridge across the canal, right next to Barton bridge. They will then be
partially closing junction 10 and traffic will have to come off at
Eccles onto a new road, across the new bridge. Those of us who live in
the area will have to cross multiple junctions, roundabouts and traffic
lights, where once we just had one roundabout under the motorway

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham. wrote:

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourc...0lift%20bridge

It's a miracle no one was hurt. Looks like a major setback though.

Is this a replacement for the Barton Swing Bridge, or something
totally different?

No. Because of all the traffic problems caused by the Trafford Centre
(why they didn't give it its own motorway exit and keep traffic
segregated from passing traffic I don't know), they are putting a new
bridge across the canal, right next to Barton bridge. They will then
be partially closing junction 10 and traffic will have to come off at
Eccles onto a new road, across the new bridge. Those of us who live
in the area will have to cross multiple junctions, roundabouts and
traffic lights, where once we just had one roundabout under the
motorway

Thanks. I'll now look at a map and use your references to work out
where this is. I crossed the Swing Bridge on a canal boat back in
sometime about the mid-70s.

--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 18 May 2016 15:39:41 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Someone needs to update a webpage ...
http://adslpipe.co.uk/misc/svlp.jpg

Brian, the picture is from the website of civil engineers building the
vertical lift bridge, proudly proclaiming

Trust us to deliver. Zero accidents.

it still says that at the time of posting ...

Perhaps they're hanging fire on the off chance that the 'incident'
investigation reveals it to be the result of an act of deliberate
sabotage.

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 18/05/2016 02:05, Davey wrote:
On Tue, 17 May 2016 18:13:56 +0100 Graham.
wrote:

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-

instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=barton%20lift%20bridge

[...]

Presumably whilst it was loaded onto a low flat bed truck or trailer.
That must have been a very memorable road journey.

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Davey
escribió:

I crossed the Swing Bridge on a canal boat back in
sometime about the mid-70s.

The Anderton Boat Lift, which is a fun visit, isn't far away.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anderton_Boat_Lift

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) Windows 10: less of an OS, more of a drive-by mugging.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 18 May 2016 22:40:59 +0100
Mike Tomlinson wrote:

En el artÃ*culo , Davey
escribió:

I crossed the Swing Bridge on a canal boat back in
sometime about the mid-70s.

The Anderton Boat Lift, which is a fun visit, isn't far away.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anderton_Boat_Lift

Yes, we passed that, but that was before it was restored to operating
condition.

On one trip, we saw what looked like a great muddy mess leading off of
the canal we were on. A few years later, it had been cleared, cleaned
and was now the entrance to The Cheshire Ring.

--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Ah, I didn't know that the road bridge was also a swing bridge, I was
only interested in the canal one. So change my post to: "I crossed the
Swing Aqueduct on a canal boat, etc".

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/05/2016 23:53, Davey wrote:

wrote:

[...]

There are a whole load of swing bridges along the Manchester Ship Canal,
mostly road.

There may or may not still be railway versions - the one at Salford
Docks was removed and repositioned as a foot bridge. The road bridge
that was next to it no-longer swings, as a new, fixed bridge was built
alongside to widen the road.

The Barton Swing aquaduct is however unique. As far as I know, it is the
only one that has ever been built anywhere in the world. When you
crossed it in the 70s, it would have been swung multiple times a day -
often with boats in it!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Yes, but it doesn't go up and down as well, like the Falkirk Wheel!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

One day I will get up to the wheel. It's one of those things that is on
my vague list of things to see.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Walker wrote:

The Barton Swing aquaduct is however unique. As far as I know, it is
the only one that has ever been built anywhere in the world. When you
crossed it in the 70s, it would have been swung multiple times a day
- often with boats in it!

We got the impression that they didn't let boats stay on it while it
was being swung, but that is not definitive. I certainly can't see why
not.

I remember going under a building in Manchester, we needed
torches to see what we were doing operating the lock gates. Is that
still there?

The Falkirk Wheel is certainly younger than my canal days, and I would
like to see it. Ditto the Restored Anderton Lift, and the Inclined
Plane at Blists Hill (or anywhere else).

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19 May 2016 23:00:27 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

On Thu, 19 May 2016 23:40:47 +0100, Steve Walker wrote:

On 19/05/2016 23:11, Bob Eager wrote:

Yes, but it doesn't go up and down as well, like the Falkirk Wheel!

One day I will get up to the wheel. It's one of those things that is on
my vague list of things to see.

Same here.

It's impressive but don't go on a windy day. The tour boats can't get
out into the viaduct at the top if there is to much of a crosswind.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Having just read Steve Walker's post, my apologies for my flippant
remarks. I didn't know about any of the road bridges being of the swing
type, I just assumed you'd used the phrase "crossed the swing bridge"
instead of "passed under the swing bridge" on the basis that the only
type of swing bridge crossing a canal would be a road bridge.

In view of Steve's remarks about said "Swing Aqueduct" being unique, it
was an understandable assumption on my part, not helped by your referring
to it as a bridge rather than as an aqueduct. Anyhow, I now know another
'interesting fact'. :-)

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Walker wrote:

There are a whole load of swing bridges along the Manchester Ship Canal,
mostly road.

There may or may not still be railway versions - the one at Salford
Docks was removed and repositioned as a foot bridge. The road bridge
that was next to it no-longer swings, as a new, fixed bridge was built
alongside to widen the road.

That one used to interrupt my daily travel to college in the 60s.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Walker wrote:

The Barton Swing aquaduct is however unique. As far as I know, it is
the only one that has ever been built anywhere in the world. When you
crossed it in the 70s, it would have been swung multiple times a day
- often with boats in it!

We got the impression that they didn't let boats stay on it while it
was being swung, but that is not definitive. I certainly can't see why
not.

They certainly did in the 70s and 80s. They also let people stay on the
parallel road bridge when that was swung. They have probably banned that
now as "unsafe."

Similarly, we used to cross the canal at Irlam locks. Cycling along the
lock walls and then over the gates - there was often an interesting
misalignment and gaps in the footway over the gates! These days there is
a swing pedestrian bridge, fully caged in and you get nowhere near the
locks themselves. Although in the mid-90s they did still let me through
onto the locks themselves when I asked for access to photograph a ship
coming through.

I remember going under a building in Manchester, we needed
torches to see what we were doing operating the lock gates. Is that
still there?

Probably part of the Cheshire Ring? Probably still there unless the
building itself has been demolished. Although I think that there is at
least one tunnel that is gated off for parts of the day and all night,
as there have been a number of suspicious deaths there.

The Falkirk Wheel is certainly younger than my canal days, and I would
like to see it. Ditto the Restored Anderton Lift, and the Inclined
Plane at Blists Hill (or anywhere else).

I've been to the Anderton lift, but not to either of the others yet.

About 35 years ago I passed through the locks at Grindley Brook
(staircase of 3 and flight of 3 IIRC), that was complicated. Later
followed by the Pontcysyllte aquaeduct ... a very impressive structure -
and a great view when your sat on the rail of your boat, looking
straight down!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/05/2016 08:04, Chris J Dixon wrote:
Steve Walker wrote:

There are a whole load of swing bridges along the Manchester Ship Canal,
mostly road.

There may or may not still be railway versions - the one at Salford
Docks was removed and repositioned as a foot bridge. The road bridge
that was next to it no-longer swings, as a new, fixed bridge was built
alongside to widen the road.

That one used to interrupt my daily travel to college in the 60s.

The swing bridges (particularly the Barton one) used to cause lots of
delays when the canal was busy. That was the reason that Barton
High-level bridge (now part of the M60) was built.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 21 May 2016 00:35:19 +0100
Steve Walker wrote:

I remember going under a building in Manchester, we needed
torches to see what we were doing operating the lock gates. Is that
still there?

Probably part of the Cheshire Ring?

Yes, indeed.

We also did one trip on the Birmingham Canal Navigation, the BCN,
travelling routes which needed somebody in the bow with a boat-hook to
ward off supermarket trollies, cars, cycles etc.

I have fond memories of those days.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Walker wrote:

That one used to interrupt my daily travel to college in the 60s.

The swing bridges (particularly the Barton one) used to cause lots of
delays when the canal was busy. That was the reason that Barton
High-level bridge (now part of the M60) was built.

As it happens, there was a time when I regularly used that bridge
too, since my Honda 50 wasn't allowed on the motorway, and I
needed to get from Didsbury to Boothstown.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.