Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT Minneapolis Collapsed Bridge Pix

How do they ship a 1Kilo foot anything on rail. On end - and have no
overheads ? I can see 100 foot sections. That is pushing it a little
on 80' cars.

Martin
Martin H. Eastburn
TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
http://lufkinced.com/

Oppie wrote:
"Eeyore" wrote in message

oppie wrote:

"ChairmanOfTheBored" wrote in message
You obviously do not know what a hundred tons of concrete can do after
a forty foot free fall.
For that matter, I always thought railroad track to be rather stiff and
immovable. I was watching the mainline tracks behind my office being
changed. A crane picked up the loose rail that had been dropped off in
100
foot sections. Looked like a 100 ton piece of cooked spaghetti the way it
bent. Go figure.

You don't use continuous welded rail over there ? Now that stuff really
does
look bendy.

Graham

Yes, the rail is thermite welded to a continuous rail except for insulated
signaling joints. They ship it as 1000ft sections though.

As nice as the tracks are now, the trains still sound like they have square
wheels sometimes. I have to laugh at the railroad when they say how the
damage to the wheels was caused by fall leaves on the tracks that caused a
slip / stick when braking. Here it is, August in the Northeast of the USA
and there are no leaves on the tracks, the wheel shops are supposedly all
caught up in re-grinding the wheels on each truck and the trains still come
back going 'clump clump clump'. When the new rails were first installed, the
trains came by so silently it was amazing. Bad news for anybody walking
along the tracks then as it was so quiet that by the time you heard a noise,
the train was right by you. I found that out when walking along looking for
the bits of track that they cut out when making the signal joints - a nice
cross section about .75" long. They made nice book ends and the occasional
dolly for bending other metal against.
Oppie