Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Asphalt drive surface needs binding.

I have an asphalt drive which has served well for about 15 years or so.
It is still intact, apart from a couple of small cracks developing in
low load areas. Easy to repair and no problem.

Where I am troubled is the fact that the surface starting to break up
very slightly. What I mean is that there are a few small chippings which
are regularly being tracked into the house. SWMBO is fed up with the
extra hoovering.

I have seen several makes of drive seal and/or asphalt repair materials
which amount to a paint that binds the top surface. I am tempted to try
one and think that it should be successful if care is taken over the
preperation, and the product is fit for purpose.

My questions are, have any of you chaps experience of these products
that you would be willing to share? Is there one you would recommend?
Should I go for a solvent based bitumen material, or one of the water
based resin types?

Thanks
Al.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 17 May 2016 11:27:49 UTC+1, BigAlinSK wrote:
[...]

What has happened is hat the original mix of asphalt had insufficient bitumen.
Or it was insufficiently rolled.
Water and frost have broken up the surface.
All you can do, short of replacement, is to "seal" the surface.
Basically it's bitumen with a solvent to glue the surface together.
How well it works depends on the original job.
If it's only pedestrian traffic, it will likely be fine.
Vehicles could be a bit more "iffy".
No-one can say.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/05/2016 18:51, harry wrote:

My questions are, have any of you chaps experience of these products
that you would be willing to share? Is there one you would recommend?
Should I go for a solvent based bitumen material, or one of the water
based resin types?

Thanks
Al.

What has happened is hat the original mix of asphalt had insufficient bitumen.
Or it was insufficiently rolled.
Water and frost have broken up the surface.
All you can do, short of replacement, is to "seal" the surface.
Basically it's bitumen with a solvent to glue the surface together.
How well it works depends on the original job.
If it's only pedestrian traffic, it will likely be fine.
Vehicles could be a bit more "iffy".
No-one can say.

Thanks Harry, I know there are many variables to ponder. What I was
hoping for was if anyone had advice regarding specific compounds.
i.e. Renotex vs Tarmaseal vs Drive Seal.
I spoke to the guy at Renotex on the phone. His advice was to buy the
most expensive stuff. No surprise there then.
Al.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

You might conduct an experiment.
Try some bitumous paint on a small area and see how you go on.

Self-binding gravel drive Etaoin Shrdlu[_4_] UK diy 5 July 27th 15 02:43 PM
Patch for asphalt drive p4o2[_2_] Home Repair 5 July 1st 11 03:16 PM
"whitetopping" an asphalt drive Ohioguy Home Repair 12 August 17th 10 01:07 AM
Asphalt Drive Nick UK diy 2 September 4th 06 08:53 AM
Re-paving asphalt drive [email protected] Home Repair 4 October 4th 05 05:07 AM