Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Self-binding gravel drive

Is it a 'good idea' to make a drive (i.e. used daily by cars) from
self-binding gravel, or is it only really good for paths? Can it be
used if the drive has a gentle (~ 5 deg.) slope down towards a house?
Does it make a lot of dust if a car drives on it? I'm hoping for an
alternative to block paving (it just seems to be everywhere round here),
and I'm not sure if the slope will make tarmac unusable, because of the
rainwater.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Hogg wrote:
On Fri, 24 Jul 2015 13:12:01 +0100, Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:

Is it a 'good idea' to make a drive (i.e. used daily by cars) from
self-binding gravel, or is it only really good for paths? Can it be
used if the drive has a gentle (~ 5 deg.) slope down towards a house?
Does it make a lot of dust if a car drives on it? I'm hoping for an
alternative to block paving (it just seems to be everywhere round here),
and I'm not sure if the slope will make tarmac unusable, because of the
rainwater.

http://www.pavingexpert.com/gravel05.htm

Thanks for the link. Actually, I'd seen that, and on first reading,
came away with the idea that it might only be suitable for footpaths,
but I just saw a sentence that mentioned light vehicles, so that's sort
of good news. I hadn't thought about laminate floors, though.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/07/2015 2:19 PM, Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:
Chris Hogg wrote:
On Fri, 24 Jul 2015 13:12:01 +0100, Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:

Is it a 'good idea' to make a drive (i.e. used daily by cars) from
self-binding gravel, or is it only really good for paths? Can it be
used if the drive has a gentle (~ 5 deg.) slope down towards a house?
Does it make a lot of dust if a car drives on it? I'm hoping for an
alternative to block paving (it just seems to be everywhere round here),
and I'm not sure if the slope will make tarmac unusable, because of the
rainwater.

http://www.pavingexpert.com/gravel05.htm

Thanks for the link. Actually, I'd seen that, and on first reading,
came away with the idea that it might only be suitable for footpaths,
but I just saw a sentence that mentioned light vehicles, so that's sort
of good news. I hadn't thought about laminate floors, though.

Road planings are a good top finish for light traffic. Often used in the
redevelopment of alleyways, etc. A good substructure is recommended.

....Ray.

--
One click voting to change the world.
https://secure.avaaz.org/en/

http://www.theregister.co.uk/
Biting the hand that feeds IT

Startpage - The PRIVATE Search Engine!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Hogg wrote:
[...]

I like the sound of that. Does it sort of melt back together in hot
weather? That would be good, I think.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Hogg wrote:
[...]

I have used it a few times. it will dry out, and dust particles will
keep it dry. I have never seen it 'wet-up' in hot weather.

....Ray.