Old May 26th 05, 10:53 AM
Glenn

Default Gravel drive for car access

Hello all,

We have a long term renovation project in the French alps, vehicular access
is via a 30 metre long grass covered "drive way" which slopes gently upwards
to a height of about 1 metre over the length of the drive. In anything other
than dry weather, car access is entertaining to say the least. The local
council has a dump of gravel not far from us, and it seems to me that one
night we could easily "acquire" enough gravel to lay two lengths of gravel
to aid vehicular access. My question is, should we dig out two parallel and
shallow "ditches" to take the gravel (and if so, how deep should they be?),
or just lay the gravel straight on to the grass and bed it in by driving a
car over it?

Many thanks,

Glenn

Old May 26th 05, 11:41 AM
Peter Crosland

Try posting in alt.theft.fr

Peter Crosland

Old May 26th 05, 11:42 AM
tarquinlinbin

On Thu, 26 May 2005 09:53:32 +0100, "Glenn"
wrote:

Hello all,

We have a long term renovation project in the French alps, vehicular access
is via a 30 metre long grass covered "drive way" which slopes gently upwards
to a height of about 1 metre over the length of the drive. In anything other
than dry weather, car access is entertaining to say the least. The local
council has a dump of gravel not far from us, and it seems to me that one
night we could easily "acquire" enough gravel to lay two lengths of gravel
to aid vehicular access. My question is, should we dig out two parallel and
shallow "ditches" to take the gravel (and if so, how deep should they be?),
or just lay the gravel straight on to the grass and bed it in by driving a
car over it?

Many thanks,

Glenn

It'll last longer if you dig a bit of a "foundation" for it. Having
said that,the "local council" or other authority might have some
objections?

Be a good Global citizen-CONSUMECONFORMOBEY

Circumcision- A crime and an abuse.
http://www.sexuallymutilatedchild.org/
Old May 26th 05, 12:11 PM
Glenn

"tarquinlinbin" wrote in message
On Thu, 26 May 2005 09:53:32 +0100, "Glenn"
wrote:

SNIP

It'll last longer if you dig a bit of a "foundation" for it. Having
said that,the "local council" or other authority might have some
objections?

Be a good Global citizen-CONSUMECONFORMOBEY

Circumcision- A crime and an abuse.
http://www.sexuallymutilatedchild.org/

I should have perhaps added that the gravel is a waste product of some other
works the council are doing and it seems the local community at large are
digging into the diminishing pile of gravel.

Thanks,

Glenn

Old May 26th 05, 05:22 PM
Hzatph

The gravel will disappear into the ground unless you provide some form of
sub-base for it. You will not achieve much this way in my opinion.

Old May 26th 05, 05:33 PM
Peter Crosland

I should have perhaps added that the gravel is a waste product of some
other
works the council are doing and it seems the local community at large are
digging into the diminishing pile of gravel.

However, just because everyone else is taking it does not mean that they are
authorised to do so!

Peter Crosland

Old May 26th 05, 05:56 PM
Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk

Hzatph wrote:
The gravel will disappear into the ground unless you provide some form of
sub-base for it. You will not achieve much this way in my opinion.

Local to us a "new" car-park has been made on a sloping field by
removing top layer of soil, laying a plastic mesh sort of device then
covering with gravel.

I'd think that would be the best option..... or a good set of M&S treads.

http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)
Old May 26th 05, 06:10 PM
David Lang

Hi Pet
Local to us a "new" car-park has been made on a sloping field by removing
top layer of soil, laying a plastic mesh sort of device then covering with
gravel.

I think thats known as a geotextile http://tinyurl.com/cjdnl

Dave

Old May 26th 05, 09:28 PM

"Glenn" wrote in message
[...]

When you say a gravel dump do you mean road salt?

If it is it will kill the grass and other plants and washes away in the
rain.

Old May 26th 05, 09:41 PM
Glenn

"[email protected]" wrote in message
. uk...

"Glenn" wrote in message

SNIP

When you say a gravel dump do you mean road salt?

If it is it will kill the grass and other plants and washes away in the
rain.

No, it's not road salt, it's glacial gravel, recovered from road works and
left at the side of the road prior to removal, which is now over due by
several years...

Many thanks to those that provided constructive comments, and a sharp rap on
the knuckles to those that assumed we were up to something naughty.

Glenn