Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Advice needed on choosing and mixing tiles

I know anything to do with decoration is a personal thing but I am asking for opinions from people who made a choice of tiles I am about to make.

About the only wall/floor tile at a realistic price that appeals to me is one that mimics a grey stone with small fossils, with a matt finish. The bathroom this is going in has two good sized windows and will have 4 LED lights (low output). I am concerned the grey will look a bit dark, even though I like the look of the tiles. Has anyone installed grey "stone effect" floor and wall tiles?

An alternative would be to put the grey tile on the floor and a lighter tile from the same range on the wall (I haven't got a sample of that yet). Has anyone put a darker tile on the floor? Did you like the effect or wish you had stuck with one tile colour throughout?

Thanks,

Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 14 May 2016 17:32:33 UTC+1, wrote:

I know anything to do with decoration is a personal thing but I am asking for opinions from people who made a choice of tiles I am about to make.

About the only wall/floor tile at a realistic price that appeals to me is one that mimics a grey stone with small fossils, with a matt finish. The bathroom this is going in has two good sized windows and will have 4 LED lights (low output). I am concerned the grey will look a bit dark, even though I like the look of the tiles. Has anyone installed grey "stone effect" floor and wall tiles?

An alternative would be to put the grey tile on the floor and a lighter tile from the same range on the wall (I haven't got a sample of that yet).

Has anyone put a darker tile on the floor? Did you like the effect or wish you had stuck with one tile colour throughout?

Yes, and I don't really see a problem either way. I'd be hesitant to put grey tiles in a bathroom though. In a bathroom you want it bright, so light tiles. It also feels more closed in with grey tiles IMHO. But it's all down to what you like in the end. If I didn't find anything I liked I'd want to stall - you're going to live with the result for decades. A few months of wait is small by comparison. Don't rule out buying from abroad.

NT