DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   What makes a bathroom a bathroom? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/394378-what-makes-bathroom-bathroom.html)

Bert Coules May 13th 16 03:44 PM

What makes a bathroom a bathroom?

I'm thinking about converting a downstairs bathroom to a utility room:
retaining the loo and basin (possibly replacing it with one of a different
style), removing the bath, adding a washing machine and a tumble dryer. So
I'll have to install, or have installed, a couple of mains sockets.

Does taking out the bath mean that the bathroom building regs no longer
apply? If not, what is the criterion which defines a bathroom and means
that no sockets are allowed?

Thanks.

MuddyMike May 13th 16 04:09 PM

On 13/05/2016 15:44, Bert Coules wrote:
I'm thinking about converting a downstairs bathroom to a utility room:
retaining the loo and basin (possibly replacing it with one of a
different style), removing the bath, adding a washing machine and a
tumble dryer. So I'll have to install, or have installed, a couple of
mains sockets.

Does taking out the bath mean that the bathroom building regs no longer
apply? If not, what is the criterion which defines a bathroom and means
that no sockets are allowed?

Thanks.

If you take any notice of the Yanks, its still a bathroom even if only
ever built containing a long drop bog!

Mike

Mike Barnes[_2_] May 13th 16 04:25 PM

Bert Coules wrote:
I'm thinking about converting a downstairs bathroom to a utility room:
retaining the loo and basin (possibly replacing it with one of a different
style), removing the bath, adding a washing machine and a tumble dryer. So
I'll have to install, or have installed, a couple of mains sockets.

Does taking out the bath mean that the bathroom building regs no longer
apply? If not, what is the criterion which defines a bathroom and means
that no sockets are allowed?

AFAIK the definition of "bathroom" has nothing to do with it. It's the
distance between electrical and water fittings that's important and
covered by the regulations. There are precisely measured "zones" around
water fittings, and restrictions on what you can have electrically
within those zones.

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England

Adrian May 13th 16 04:48 PM

On Fri, 13 May 2016 15:44:37 +0100, Bert Coules wrote:

If not, what is the criterion which defines a bathroom and means
that no sockets are allowed?

You need to look up the zones.

http://www.aboutelectricity.co.uk/im...al-charts-and-
tables/bathroomzonediagram.jpg

Brian Gaff May 13th 16 05:05 PM

What makes a bathroom a bathroom?

Sounds more like a kitchen without a cooker to me.
I think being less silly, if you do not have a shower or a bath you are
less likely to be in there naked.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
o.uk...

Brian Gaff May 13th 16 05:07 PM

What makes a bathroom a bathroom?

One thing I found interesting about our bathroom is that there is only
floor where the feet of the bath are, the rest of the boards are sawn off at
the edges. I assume this makes plumbing a lot easier.

Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
o.uk...

A.Lee May 13th 16 05:33 PM

Bert Coules wrote:

I'm thinking about converting a downstairs bathroom to a utility room:
retaining the loo and basin (possibly replacing it with one of a different
style), removing the bath, adding a washing machine and a tumble dryer. So
I'll have to install, or have installed, a couple of mains sockets.

Does taking out the bath mean that the bathroom building regs no longer
apply? If not, what is the criterion which defines a bathroom and means
that no sockets are allowed?

Building regs apply all the time. I think you mean electrical special
locations, where you cannot have a socket outlet within 3 metres of a
bath or shower.
Take the bath or shower out, and do what you want.
Building Regs still need adhering to, and electrical accessories
should be suitable for their environment, so no socket outlet directly
next to the toilet, where it could be pee'd on.
--
Alan
To reply by mail, change '+' to 'plus'

ARW May 13th 16 06:24 PM

"Adrian" wrote in message
On Fri, 13 May 2016 15:44:37 +0100, Bert Coules wrote:

If not, what is the criterion which defines a bathroom and means
that no sockets are allowed?

You need to look up the zones.

http://www.aboutelectricity.co.uk/im...al-charts-and-
tables/bathroomzonediagram.jpg

I'll bet that link has has got the usual zone 2 ******** around the sink.

http://electrical.theiet.org/wiring-...s.cfm?type=pdf

has no such restriction.

edition) for "locations containing a bath or shower".

So my conclusion is that a bathroom needs a bath in it to be called a
bathroom.

--
Adam

Dave Plowman (News) May 13th 16 06:43 PM

What makes a bathroom a bathroom?

In article ,
Mike Barnes wrote:
AFAIK the definition of "bathroom" has nothing to do with it. It's the
distance between electrical and water fittings that's important and
covered by the regulations. There are precisely measured "zones" around
water fittings, and restrictions on what you can have electrically
within those zones.

And in a kitchen?

--
*Oh, what a tangled website we weave when first we practice *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Dave Plowman (News) May 13th 16 06:45 PM

Bert Coules wrote:
I'm thinking about converting a downstairs bathroom to a utility room:
retaining the loo and basin (possibly replacing it with one of a
different style), removing the bath, adding a washing machine and a
tumble dryer. So I'll have to install, or have installed, a couple of
mains sockets.

Does taking out the bath mean that the bathroom building regs no longer
apply? If not, what is the criterion which defines a bathroom and means
that no sockets are allowed?

Think if it's not got a bath or shower - so you'd not get naked and
dripping wet - it's not covered.

--
*Why do psychics have to ask you for your name? *

Bert Coules May 13th 16 06:53 PM

What makes a bathroom a bathroom?

Thanks for all the replies. I was familiar with the concept of zones but
mistakenly thought that it only applied to a room containing a bath or
shower. Now I know otherwise I'll investigate the relevant regs.

ARW May 13th 16 07:16 PM

What makes a bathroom a bathroom?

"Bert Coules" wrote in message
Thanks for all the replies. I was familiar with the concept of zones but
mistakenly thought that it only applied to a room containing a bath or
shower. Now I know otherwise I'll investigate the relevant regs.

701 Zones ONLY apply to a room with a bath or shower!!!

--
Adam

polygonum May 13th 16 07:28 PM

What makes a bathroom a bathroom?

On 13/05/2016 15:44, Bert Coules wrote:
I'm thinking about converting a downstairs bathroom to a utility room:
retaining the loo and basin (possibly replacing it with one of a
different style), removing the bath, adding a washing machine and a
tumble dryer. So I'll have to install, or have installed, a couple of
mains sockets.

Does taking out the bath mean that the bathroom building regs no longer
apply? If not, what is the criterion which defines a bathroom and means
that no sockets are allowed?

Thanks.

On a slightly different tack, having looked at numerous Right Move,
Zoopla and builders' own descriptions, I am getting heartily sick of
bathrooms without baths! If it only has a shower, let it be a shower
room or dream up some other name, anyone for "indoor rain room"?

--
Rod

S Viemeister[_2_] May 13th 16 07:37 PM

On 5/13/2016 2:28 PM, polygonum wrote:

On a slightly different tack, having looked at numerous Right Move,
Zoopla and builders' own descriptions, I am getting heartily sick of
bathrooms without baths! If it only has a shower, let it be a shower
room or dream up some other name, anyone for "indoor rain room"?

Property descriptions in the US have 'half-baths'. Toilet and washbasin,
no bath or shower.

polygonum May 13th 16 07:40 PM

What makes a bathroom a bathroom?

On 13/05/2016 19:32, ARW wrote:

Wet room.

Trouble is, that already has its rather more specific meaning.

--
Rod

polygonum May 13th 16 07:44 PM

On 13/05/2016 19:37, S Viemeister wrote:
On 5/13/2016 2:28 PM, polygonum wrote:

On a slightly different tack, having looked at numerous Right Move,
Zoopla and builders' own descriptions, I am getting heartily sick of
bathrooms without baths! If it only has a shower, let it be a shower
room or dream up some other name, anyone for "indoor rain room"?

Property descriptions in the US have 'half-baths'. Toilet and washbasin,
no bath or shower.

How odd! The name makes me think of those very short baths with two
levels. Why have the word "bath" in there at all? Still, "cloakroom" is
just as ridiculous in most houses.

--
Rod

S Viemeister[_2_] May 13th 16 10:42 PM

On 5/13/2016 2:44 PM, polygonum wrote:
On 13/05/2016 19:37, S Viemeister wrote:
On 5/13/2016 2:28 PM, polygonum wrote:

On a slightly different tack, having looked at numerous Right Move,
Zoopla and builders' own descriptions, I am getting heartily sick of
bathrooms without baths! If it only has a shower, let it be a shower
room or dream up some other name, anyone for "indoor rain room"?

Property descriptions in the US have 'half-baths'. Toilet and washbasin,
no bath or shower.

How odd! The name makes me think of those very short baths with two
levels. Why have the word "bath" in there at all? Still, "cloakroom" is
just as ridiculous in most houses.

Defecating and urinating are often called 'going to the bathroom'. The
word 'toilet' seems to offend many people.

tim... May 13th 16 11:23 PM

What makes a bathroom a bathroom?

"Muddymike" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 13/05/2016 15:44, Bert Coules wrote:
I'm thinking about converting a downstairs bathroom to a utility room:
retaining the loo and basin (possibly replacing it with one of a
different style), removing the bath, adding a washing machine and a
tumble dryer. So I'll have to install, or have installed, a couple of
mains sockets.

Does taking out the bath mean that the bathroom building regs no longer
apply? If not, what is the criterion which defines a bathroom and means
that no sockets are allowed?

Thanks.

If you take any notice of the Yanks, its still a bathroom even if only
ever built containing a long drop bog!

what on earth is a "long drop bog"?

tim

tim... May 13th 16 11:26 PM

What makes a bathroom a bathroom?

"Bert Coules" wrote in message
Thanks for all the replies. I was familiar with the concept of zones but
mistakenly thought that it only applied to a room containing a bath or
shower. Now I know otherwise I'll investigate the relevant regs.

I wonder how the "grand designs" bollox of putting an open bath in a bedroom
affects what you should call the room?

Tim

Mr Macaw May 13th 16 11:27 PM

What makes a bathroom a bathroom?

And screws with the insulation.

On Fri, 13 May 2016 17:07:11 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

One thing I found interesting about our bathroom is that there is only
floor where the feet of the bath are, the rest of the boards are sawn off at
the edges. I assume this makes plumbing a lot easier.

Brian

--
It's an age-old truism. Men will quickly fall asleep after having sex.
And I know why, too.

Mr Macaw May 13th 16 11:28 PM

What makes a bathroom a bathroom?

On Fri, 13 May 2016 23:23:28 +0100, tim... wrote:

"Muddymike" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 13/05/2016 15:44, Bert Coules wrote:
I'm thinking about converting a downstairs bathroom to a utility room:
retaining the loo and basin (possibly replacing it with one of a
different style), removing the bath, adding a washing machine and a
tumble dryer. So I'll have to install, or have installed, a couple of
mains sockets.

Does taking out the bath mean that the bathroom building regs no longer
apply? If not, what is the criterion which defines a bathroom and means
that no sockets are allowed?

Thanks.

If you take any notice of the Yanks, its still a bathroom even if only
ever built containing a long drop bog!

what on earth is a "long drop bog"?

To stop splashback?

--
A man and his wife are ****ing.
Fifteen minutes has passed, 30 minutes, then 45 minutes.

Mr Macaw May 13th 16 11:28 PM

On Fri, 13 May 2016 16:25:41 +0100, Mike Barnes wrote:

Bert Coules wrote:
I'm thinking about converting a downstairs bathroom to a utility room:
retaining the loo and basin (possibly replacing it with one of a different
style), removing the bath, adding a washing machine and a tumble dryer. So
I'll have to install, or have installed, a couple of mains sockets.

Does taking out the bath mean that the bathroom building regs no longer
apply? If not, what is the criterion which defines a bathroom and means
that no sockets are allowed?

AFAIK the definition of "bathroom" has nothing to do with it. It's the
distance between electrical and water fittings that's important and
covered by the regulations. There are precisely measured "zones" around
water fittings, and restrictions on what you can have electrically
within those zones.

My house, I'll do what I like. I've got a socket above my sink to plug in my hair trimmer.

Mr Macaw May 13th 16 11:29 PM

What makes a bathroom a bathroom?

On Fri, 13 May 2016 18:43:52 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Mike Barnes wrote:
AFAIK the definition of "bathroom" has nothing to do with it. It's the
distance between electrical and water fittings that's important and
covered by the regulations. There are precisely measured "zones" around
water fittings, and restrictions on what you can have electrically
within those zones.

And in a kitchen?

I had (already when I moved in) sockets only a foot or so from the sink. Very handy to fill the kettle without having to unplug it.

--
We've had a hot, dry summer this year. It was so hot that one of my neighbors said his wife even thawed out.

Mr Macaw May 13th 16 11:29 PM

What makes a bathroom a bathroom?

Which is important because.... electricity can't go through jeans?

On Fri, 13 May 2016 17:05:13 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

Sounds more like a kitchen without a cooker to me.
I think being less silly, if you do not have a shower or a bath you are
less likely to be in there naked.
Brian

--
Barber: "Your hair is getting grey."
Customer: "Try cutting a little faster."

Andy Burns[_12_] May 13th 16 11:30 PM

tim... wrote:

what on earth is a "long drop bog"?

https://youtu.be/a1oKaOiV1VU

HTH

Mr Macaw May 13th 16 11:30 PM

On Fri, 13 May 2016 17:33:06 +0100, wrote:

Bert Coules wrote:

[...]

But peeing on an electric fence is funny.

--
Times are tough.
Just the other day, I saw a beggar who was so broke that he was standing on the corner shouting at the cars that went by.

Mr Macaw May 13th 16 11:31 PM

Bert Coules wrote:

[...]

Since everyone has those poofy circuit breakers, does it really matter if you have electricity in the bathroom?

--
Shotgun wedding: A case of wife or death.

Mr Macaw May 13th 16 11:31 PM

On Fri, 13 May 2016 19:40:15 +0100, polygonum wrote:

On 13/05/2016 19:32, ARW wrote:

Wet room.

Trouble is, that already has its rather more specific meaning.

Is it to do with several women at once?

--
Imagine you are a child in your mother's womb, can you detect light?
Only during ballet practice.

Mr Macaw May 13th 16 11:32 PM

On Fri, 13 May 2016 22:42:11 +0100, S Viemeister wrote:

On 5/13/2016 2:44 PM, polygonum wrote:
On 13/05/2016 19:37, S Viemeister wrote:
On 5/13/2016 2:28 PM, polygonum wrote:

On a slightly different tack, having looked at numerous Right Move,
Zoopla and builders' own descriptions, I am getting heartily sick of
bathrooms without baths! If it only has a shower, let it be a shower
room or dream up some other name, anyone for "indoor rain room"?

Property descriptions in the US have 'half-baths'. Toilet and washbasin,
no bath or shower.

How odd! The name makes me think of those very short baths with two
levels. Why have the word "bath" in there at all? Still, "cloakroom" is
just as ridiculous in most houses.

Defecating and urinating are often called 'going to the bathroom'. The
word 'toilet' seems to offend many people.

What's wrong with "I'm going for a slash"?

--
This space was empty.

Mr Macaw May 13th 16 11:32 PM

On Fri, 13 May 2016 19:44:18 +0100, polygonum wrote:

On 13/05/2016 19:37, S Viemeister wrote:
On 5/13/2016 2:28 PM, polygonum wrote:

On a slightly different tack, having looked at numerous Right Move,
Zoopla and builders' own descriptions, I am getting heartily sick of
bathrooms without baths! If it only has a shower, let it be a shower
room or dream up some other name, anyone for "indoor rain room"?

Property descriptions in the US have 'half-baths'. Toilet and washbasin,
no bath or shower.

How odd! The name makes me think of those very short baths with two
levels. Why have the word "bath" in there at all? Still, "cloakroom" is
just as ridiculous in most houses.

Difficult to take a bath in a sink, unless you're 2.

--
This space was empty.

Mr Macaw May 13th 16 11:33 PM

On Fri, 13 May 2016 23:26:55 +0100, tim... wrote:

"Bert Coules" wrote in message
Thanks for all the replies. I was familiar with the concept of zones but
mistakenly thought that it only applied to a room containing a bath or
shower. Now I know otherwise I'll investigate the relevant regs.

I wonder how the "grand designs" bollox of putting an open bath in a bedroom
affects what you should call the room?

Hang on.... if I install a water bed, must I move the electrical points?

--
I remember your brother Jimmy, crying one summer's day,
"Why do you cry, young Jimmy?" I heard your granddad say.

Dave Plowman (News) May 14th 16 01:11 AM

polygonum wrote:
On a slightly different tack, having looked at numerous Right Move,
Zoopla and builders' own descriptions, I am getting heartily sick of
bathrooms without baths! If it only has a shower, let it be a shower
room or dream up some other name, anyone for "indoor rain room"?

Blame the US. They talk about bathrooms when they actually mean a toilet.

--
*I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

Mike Barnes[_2_] May 14th 16 02:07 AM

What makes a bathroom a bathroom?

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Mike Barnes wrote:
AFAIK the definition of "bathroom" has nothing to do with it. It's the
distance between electrical and water fittings that's important and
covered by the regulations. There are precisely measured "zones" around
water fittings, and restrictions on what you can have electrically
within those zones.

And in a kitchen?

I'm no expert but AFAICS the perceived function of the space is of no
relevance. Electricity doesn't care what you call the room.

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England

Mike Barnes[_2_] May 14th 16 02:08 AM

S Viemeister wrote:
Defecating and urinating are often called 'going to the bathroom'. The
word 'toilet' seems to offend many people.

IME that's an American thing, but sadly it seems to be catching on here.

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England

S Viemeister[_2_] May 14th 16 02:15 AM

What makes a bathroom a bathroom?

On 5/13/2016 8:11 PM, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
polygonum wrote:
On a slightly different tack, having looked at numerous Right Move,
Zoopla and builders' own descriptions, I am getting heartily sick of
bathrooms without baths! If it only has a shower, let it be a shower
room or dream up some other name, anyone for "indoor rain room"?

Blame the US. They talk about bathrooms when they actually mean a toilet.

This is true. Weird, but true.

John Rumm May 14th 16 03:51 AM

What makes a bathroom a bathroom?

On 13/05/2016 15:44, Bert Coules wrote:
I'm thinking about converting a downstairs bathroom to a utility room:
retaining the loo and basin (possibly replacing it with one of a
different style), removing the bath, adding a washing machine and a
tumble dryer. So I'll have to install, or have installed, a couple of
mains sockets.

Does taking out the bath mean that the bathroom building regs no longer
apply?

Yes.

If not, what is the criterion which defines a bathroom and means
that no sockets are allowed?

It must contain a bath or shower. Cloakrooms / rooms containing loos /
basins etc are not included in the definitions.

--
Cheers,

John.