Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Washing machine waste pipe position

I am told it is "not correct" for a washing machine waste pipe to exit directly behind a washing machine. Why is this? Are there any issues about the washing machine waste emptying via the sink trap. I am concerned about the rate of Water discharge.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/05/2016 09:23, Chris French wrote:
RJH Wrote in message:
On 10/05/2016 22:30, wrote:
I am told it is "not correct" for a washing machine waste pipe to exit directly behind a washing machine. Why is this?

If you've got the space, I can't think of a reason.

Are there any issues about the washing machine waste emptying via the sink trap. I am concerned about the rate of Water discharge.

I have my washing machine (and dishwasher) waste connected to the sink
waste. And it empties at quite a rate from a pump in the cellar. I think
it's just a matter of time before it pops the push fit pipework. So in
the course of time, I will install a dedicated washing machine waste.
Before it's too late. Or maybe just after - haven't decided yet.

Also, and I'd guess that this is because there's a fair amount of water
sitting in the 22mm/10m pipe between washes, it's quite smelly - so it'd
be an idea to to route the washing machine waste after the sink trap.

Don't think that is really a problem. Pipes from machines that go
into a stand pipe are open (or WM does), never noticed it being
smelly. Our DW is connected directly, via the trap under the
sunk. The connection is before the trap.

Mine's possibly quite an usual setup. The WM is in the cellar, and
drains to a Saniflow type pump. From there 10m of pipe to the kitchen
sink waste, before the trap (space necessitated). So a fair amount of
standing water, left for maybe a week at a time.

While that water should be fairly clean, still a stagnant water smell
comes out of the kitchen sink on the first rinse. Fine after that.

--
Cheers, Rob