Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Toilet cistern flush question

I have had a "modern" close coupled, low volume of water cistern and cartridge flush installed. After I press the button and the cistern has emptied and starts to refill a small-minded trickle of water continues to flow from the cistern into the bowl. This trickle stops when the cistern has refilled.. Is this correct operation or is there some fault with the cartridge?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
I have had a "modern" close coupled, low volume of water cistern and
cartridge flush installed. After I press the button and the cistern has
emptied and starts to refill a small-minded trickle of water continues
to flow from the cistern into the bowl. This trickle stops when the
cistern has refilled. Is this correct operation or is there some fault
with the cartridge?

If you are in a hard water area then this could be due to a small deposit
of lime scale. Take the top off, turn off the water to the sistern and
give everything a good spray with lime scale remover, moving everything up
and down to ensure that all surfaces are covered. Leave for half an hour
turn on water and flush away the lime scale remover. If this doesn't work
you will need to dismantle and clean (on mine the manufacturers suggested
replacing the parts!).

Don't use a lime scale remover tablet in the sistern as the little bits
that come off the tablet can also get stuck and cause similar problems.

Alan

--

Using an ARMX6
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 11/05/2016 10:55, Alan Dawes wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
[...]

I find citric acid crystals (around £5/kilo on ebay or Amazon) are an
extremely effective limescale remover.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 11 May 2016 10:41:45 +0100
Roger Mills wrote:

I think he means a dump-valve type flush mechanism rather than a
syphon. And yes - once flushed, nothing should flow in to the bowl
while the cistern is re-filling. Sounds as if the rubber seal is
suspect, and needs a lot of weight of water on it before it seals.

The ones we had in the US had a small tube that deliberately fed water
down the overflow tube, that emptied into the bowl, while the fill
valve was still open. We assumed it was to make sure the bowl was full
of water after a flush, which often nearly emptied them.
I hated those America cisterns, the rubber valves were always leaking,
which you didn't know until later, and water was usually metered, so
it always cost money.

--
Davey.