Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Storing venerred chipboard out of doors

I have a large number of lengths (6 - 8 ft) of veneered chipboard. I have
to temporarily clear out the rooms where they are used as shelving but can't
for various boring reasons store them elsewhere in the house. How much, if
at all, would they suffer if stored in the open, raised off the ground and
covered with thick plastic sheeting? Ideally I'd like to be able to reuse
most, perhaps all, of them again.

I anticipate that the chipboard would be outside for something like six to
eight weeks.

Many thanks for any thoughts.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 7 May 2016 13:43:23 +0100, "Bert Coules"
wrote:

I have a large number of lengths (6 - 8 ft) of veneered chipboard. I have
to temporarily clear out the rooms where they are used as shelving but can't
for various boring reasons store them elsewhere in the house. How much, if
at all, would they suffer if stored in the open, raised off the ground and
covered with thick plastic sheeting? Ideally I'd like to be able to reuse
most, perhaps all, of them again.

I anticipate that the chipboard would be outside for something like six to
eight weeks.

Many thanks for any thoughts.

I think the problem may be keeping them free of damp from condensation
and humidity as keeping the rain off them etc. That said, if only 8
weeks, they are either completely sealed or allowed to vent and you
are lucky with the weather, you could be ok.

The worst might be than an edge starts to expand but if you are going
to turn them into shelves ...

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/05/2016 13:43, Bert Coules wrote:
I have a large number of lengths (6 - 8 ft) of veneered chipboard. I
have to temporarily clear out the rooms where they are used as shelving
but can't for various boring reasons store them elsewhere in the house.
How much, if at all, would they suffer if stored in the open, raised off
the ground and covered with thick plastic sheeting? Ideally I'd like to
be able to reuse most, perhaps all, of them again.

I anticipate that the chipboard would be outside for something like six
to eight weeks.

Many thanks for any thoughts.

If you get a perfect seal they could stay there forever.

So it depends on how good you are at wrapping it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Agreed, I would have said that for that period, and this time of year,
not too much of a problem. I would "tent" the plastic to provide
ventilation around the stack. Stack them horizontal either on a
"hardback" (say a couple of joists on edge?) or with reasonably closely
spaced supports.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote in news:572de77a$0$3961$c3e8da3
:

On 07/05/2016 13:43, Bert Coules wrote:
I have a large number of lengths (6 - 8 ft) of veneered chipboard. I
have to temporarily clear out the rooms where they are used as shelving
but can't for various boring reasons store them elsewhere in the house.
How much, if at all, would they suffer if stored in the open, raised off
the ground and covered with thick plastic sheeting? Ideally I'd like to
be able to reuse most, perhaps all, of them again.

I anticipate that the chipboard would be outside for something like six
to eight weeks.

Many thanks for any thoughts.

If you get a perfect seal they could stay there forever.

So it depends on how good you are at wrapping it.

....and include some bags of silica gel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Storing veneered chipboard out of doors

Many thanks for the speedy replies. I was thinking of a loose tent-like
protective cover rather than completely enclosing the material with plastic,
but on reflection (and if it proves practical) perhaps the latter might be
better.

Are silica gel bags commercially available? I'll check.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dammit. "Veneered" I meant, of course. Apologies.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 07/05/2016 14:36, Bert Coules wrote:
Many thanks for the speedy replies. I was thinking of a loose tent-like
protective cover rather than completely enclosing the material with
plastic, but on reflection (and if it proves practical) perhaps the
latter might be better.

Are silica gel bags commercially available? I'll check.

Rice might do, instead. (Uncooked!)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 7 May 2016 16:02:18 +0100, GB
wrote:

On 07/05/2016 14:36, Bert Coules wrote:
Many thanks for the speedy replies. I was thinking of a loose tent-like
protective cover rather than completely enclosing the material with
plastic, but on reflection (and if it proves practical) perhaps the
latter might be better.

Are silica gel bags commercially available? I'll check.

Rice might do, instead. (Uncooked!)

Poundland do a pretty effective de-humidifier crystal tub thing [1] if
you were going for the 'sealed' solution.

Cheers, T i m

[1] As in it seems to fill with water pretty quickly when left in any
damp environment.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 7 May 2016 15:58:46 UTC+1, Bert Coules wrote:
Many thanks for the speedy replies. I was thinking of a loose tent-like
protective cover rather than completely enclosing the material with plastic,
but on reflection (and if it proves practical) perhaps the latter might be
better.

Are silica gel bags commercially available? I'll check.

Salt is far cheaper

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 07/05/2016 14:36, Bert Coules wrote:
Many thanks for the speedy replies. I was thinking of a loose tent-like
protective cover rather than completely enclosing the material with
plastic, but on reflection (and if it proves practical) perhaps the
latter might be better.

Are silica gel bags commercially available? I'll check.

Rice might do, instead. (Uncooked!)

Poundland do a pretty effective de-humidifier crystal tub thing [1] if
you were going for the 'sealed' solution.

Cheers, T i m

[1] As in it seems to fill with water pretty quickly when left in any
damp environment.

It might just be salt as it will do that.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 07/05/2016 14:37, Bert Coules wrote:
Dammit. "Veneered" I meant, of course. Apologies.

I stored some outside 4 years ago horizontal and on a stout wooden frame
approx 18 inches off the ground (soil) then just covered with a couple
of sheets of plastic and waxy groundsheet, tented it slightly and it was
ok 3 years later.
I have since put up a plastic corrigated shelter (roof and 3 sides) and
moved it there a year ago. As far as I can see it is still all ok.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ss" wrote:

I stored some outside 4 years ago horizontal and on a stout wooden frame
approx 18 inches off the ground (soil) then just covered with a couple of
sheets of plastic and waxy groundsheet, tented it slightly and it was OK 3
years later.

Thanks very much for that. I have a paved patio area rather than soil,
which should help.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Depends very much on the weather and the changes. Most of the problems are
uncurling of the veneer at the edges and warping of the chipboard that i
have encountered. I'd say waterproof it make sure its shady and leave some
points for the air to breath but its going to be a risk.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
"Bert Coules" wrote in message
news
I have a large number of lengths (6 - 8 ft) of veneered chipboard. I have
to temporarily clear out the rooms where they are used as shelving but
can't for various boring reasons store them elsewhere in the house. How
much, if at all, would they suffer if stored in the open, raised off the
ground and covered with thick plastic sheeting? Ideally I'd like to be
able to reuse most, perhaps all, of them again.

I anticipate that the chipboard would be outside for something like six to
eight weeks.

Many thanks for any thoughts.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian, thanks for that. Clearly the weather is going to be the vital
factor, but since I really have little choice in the storage location I'll
just have to take what I can get. The main decision seems to be between
protecting the boards with a loose, tented structure purely to keep off
rain, and wrapping them closely with a sealed covering (albeit with a few
breathing holes, perhaps).

..

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

ss Wrote in message:
On 07/05/2016 14:37, Bert Coules wrote:
Dammit. "Veneered" I meant, of course. Apologies.

I stored some outside 4 years ago horizontal and on a stout wooden frame
approx 18 inches off the ground (soil) then just covered with a couple
of sheets of plastic and waxy groundsheet, tented it slightly and it was
ok 3 years later.
I have since put up a plastic corrigated shelter (roof and 3 sides) and
moved it there a year ago. As far as I can see it is still all ok.

Are you quite sure you need it? :-)
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 12/05/2016 13:52, jim wrote:
Are you quite sure you need it? :-)

Oh I need it but her undoors keeps me busy with other projects and
unfortunately with only having a small shed I need decent weather to
work outdoors Scotland being what it is.