Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Storing venerred chipboard out of doors

On 5/7/2016 1:55 PM, T i m wrote:
On Sat, 7 May 2016 13:43:23 +0100, "Bert Coules"
wrote:

I have a large number of lengths (6 - 8 ft) of veneered chipboard. I have
to temporarily clear out the rooms where they are used as shelving but can't
for various boring reasons store them elsewhere in the house. How much, if
at all, would they suffer if stored in the open, raised off the ground and
covered with thick plastic sheeting? Ideally I'd like to be able to reuse
most, perhaps all, of them again.

I anticipate that the chipboard would be outside for something like six to
eight weeks.

Many thanks for any thoughts.

I think the problem may be keeping them free of damp from condensation
and humidity as keeping the rain off them etc. That said, if only 8
weeks, they are either completely sealed or allowed to vent and you
are lucky with the weather, you could be ok.

The worst might be than an edge starts to expand but if you are going
to turn them into shelves ...

Cheers, T i m

Agreed, I would have said that for that period, and this time of year,
not too much of a problem. I would "tent" the plastic to provide
ventilation around the stack. Stack them horizontal either on a
"hardback" (say a couple of joists on edge?) or with reasonably closely
spaced supports.