Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default When did lath and plaster go out of fashion?

In general, and perhaps in rural Scotland?

Just taken down a small internal "porch" from my daughter's kitchen.
Clearly not original (flat dates from the turn of the century) and built on
a chipboard floor. Bits of newspaper stuffed in the wall suggest a date of
1981 for its construction but surprised by its L&P construction.

Were there still "old school" builders in the early 80s using L&P or is it
more likely that the floor was replace beneath an existing internal wall?

Tim

--
Trolls AND TROLL FEEDERS all go in my kill file
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Graham." wrote in
:

Tim+ Wrote in message:
In general, and perhaps in rural Scotland?

Just taken down a small internal "porch" from my daughter's kitchen.
Clearly not original (flat dates from the turn of the century) and
built on a chipboard floor. Bits of newspaper stuffed in the wall
suggest a date of 1981 for its construction but surprised by its L&P
construction.

Were there still "old school" builders in the early 80s using L&P or
is it more likely that the floor was replace beneath an existing
internal wall?

Tim

--
Trolls AND TROLL FEEDERS all go in my kill file

I wonder how long it will be before "The turn of the century"
will unequivocally refer to the current century. ;-)

When my wife stops saying "pull the chain"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ Wrote in message:
In general, and perhaps in rural Scotland?

Just taken down a small internal "porch" from my daughter's kitchen.
Clearly not original (flat dates from the turn of the century) and built on
a chipboard floor. Bits of newspaper stuffed in the wall suggest a date of
1981 for its construction but surprised by its L&P construction.

Were there still "old school" builders in the early 80s using L&P or is it
more likely that the floor was replace beneath an existing internal wall?

Tim

--
Trolls AND TROLL FEEDERS all go in my kill file

I wonder how long it will be before "The turn of the century"
will unequivocally refer to the current century. ;-)

--

%Profound_observation%

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Oldest house we owned was a 1957 semi. It had no studded walls but all the ceilings were plasterboard. So I would say pre 1957 at least.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/04/2016 19:32, Tim+ wrote:
In general, and perhaps in rural Scotland?

Just taken down a small internal "porch" from my daughter's kitchen.
Clearly not original (flat dates from the turn of the century)

So a mere snip of 15 years ago?

and built on a chipboard floor. Bits of newspaper stuffed in the
wall suggest a date of 1981 for its construction but surprised by its
L&P construction.

Its not unknown for lathe a plaster walls to fall down leaving the lathes.

Assuming the lathes are in good condition, or where damaged areas are
repairable it's probably just as easy to plaster, ie base coat etc in
the normal way.

Were there still "old school" builders in the early 80s using L&P or
is it more likely that the floor was replace beneath an existing
internal wall?

No one I know would make a new L&P wall!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:
In general, and perhaps in rural Scotland?

Just taken down a small internal "porch" from my daughter's kitchen.
Clearly not original (flat dates from the turn of the century) and
built on a chipboard floor. Bits of newspaper stuffed in the wall
suggest a date of 1981 for its construction but surprised by its L&P
construction.

Were there still "old school" builders in the early 80s using L&P or
is it more likely that the floor was replace beneath an existing
internal wall?

The floor's been replaced. The newspaper was probably stuffed in as part of
a repair in the 80's. Plasterboard has been the norm since the early fifties
and the house I'm in (built in 49) has plasterboard ceilings

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/04/16 20:21, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Oldest house we owned was a 1957 semi. It had no studded walls but all the ceilings were plasterboard. So I would say pre 1957 at least.

Richard

I've not seen lathe an plaster on anything post-war, so before that anyway.

"In the United Kingdom and its colonies, lath and plaster was often used
for interior partition walls and the construction of ceilings, before
the introduction of plasterboard in the 1930s."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lath_and_plaster

and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally
important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for
the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the
truth is the greatest enemy of the State.

Joseph Goebbels

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:
Tim+ wrote:
In general, and perhaps in rural Scotland?

Just taken down a small internal "porch" from my daughter's kitchen.
Clearly not original (flat dates from the turn of the century) and
built on a chipboard floor. Bits of newspaper stuffed in the wall
suggest a date of 1981 for its construction but surprised by its L&P
construction.

Were there still "old school" builders in the early 80s using L&P or
is it more likely that the floor was replace beneath an existing
internal wall?

The floor's been replaced. The newspaper was probably stuffed in as part of
a repair in the 80's. Plasterboard has been the norm since the early fifties
and the house I'm in (built in 49) has plasterboard ceilings

Thanks. I've been coming around to that idea as the most probable answer.

Tim

Trolls and troll feeders go in my killfile
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've not seen lathe an plaster on anything post-war, so before that anyway.

Plasterboard started in 1888, apparently. In Rochester, Kent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drywall

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/04/2016 20:08, DerbyBorn wrote:
"Graham." wrote in
:

Tim+ Wrote in message:
In general, and perhaps in rural Scotland?

Just taken down a small internal "porch" from my daughter's kitchen.
Clearly not original (flat dates from the turn of the century) and
built on a chipboard floor. Bits of newspaper stuffed in the wall
suggest a date of 1981 for its construction but surprised by its L&P
construction.

Were there still "old school" builders in the early 80s using L&P or
is it more likely that the floor was replace beneath an existing
internal wall?

Tim

--
Trolls AND TROLL FEEDERS all go in my kill file

I wonder how long it will be before "The turn of the century"
will unequivocally refer to the current century. ;-)

When my wife stops saying "pull the chain"

Or we stop "taping" TV programmes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tricky Dicky wrote:
Oldest house we owned was a 1957 semi. It had no studded walls but all
the ceilings were plasterboard. So I would say pre 1957 at least.

This house had a deal of war time repairs after bombing. All plasterboard.

Parent's house built new in 1936 in Scotland all lath and plaster.

--
*A cubicle is just a padded cell without a door.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

One on topic reply. I think there are people out there who can build these
walls and finish them in the old traditional ways, for example where
extensions are built I was surprised about 6 years ago to be shown that the
walls were in fact being finished in the old way in the new part, presumably
to make it all hang together as one unit as things settled. i don't know not
being a plasterer!
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
2.222...
"Graham." wrote in
:

Tim+ Wrote in message:
In general, and perhaps in rural Scotland?

Just taken down a small internal "porch" from my daughter's kitchen.
Clearly not original (flat dates from the turn of the century) and
built on a chipboard floor. Bits of newspaper stuffed in the wall
suggest a date of 1981 for its construction but surprised by its L&P
construction.

Were there still "old school" builders in the early 80s using L&P or
is it more likely that the floor was replace beneath an existing
internal wall?

Tim

--
Trolls AND TROLL FEEDERS all go in my kill file

I wonder how long it will be before "The turn of the century"
will unequivocally refer to the current century. ;-)

When my wife stops saying "pull the chain"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30 Apr 2016, DerbyBorn grunted:

"Graham." wrote in
:

I wonder how long it will be before "The turn of the century"
will unequivocally refer to the current century. ;-)

When my wife stops saying "pull the chain"

Nowt wrong with that: we still 'pull the chain' here!:
http://tinyurl.com/ztv6r77 (or
http://www.bathroomspareparts.co.uk/...s/fluidmaster-
flush-valve-push-button-kit-pro73uk-22409-p.jpg)

--
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.bathroomspareparts.co.uk/...baths2/images/

fluidmaster-
flush-valve-push-button-kit-pro73uk-22409-p.jpg)

Perhaps I should think about:
- chain disappearing into ceiling, with old fashioned triangular metal
'pull' on the bottom
- switch operated by chain, activating an Arduino to play sound effect
of loud 'clank'.
- wireless link to solenoid in low level cistern, to operate the real
flush.

Lath and Plaster John UK diy 1 November 15th 06 09:23 AM
Damaged Lath and Plaster John UK diy 5 September 2nd 06 07:42 PM
Plaster washers for lath and plaster repair atticus UK diy 1 August 21st 06 06:28 PM
Can you plaster an old lath? JavaEnquirer UK diy 10 March 20th 06 06:21 PM
Lath and plaster ceiling Peter UK diy 11 October 16th 03 04:27 PM