Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Damaged Lath and Plaster

I have just removed some bathroom tiles in preparation for a refurbishment.
One wall was lath and plaster and the plaster has been coming off. I decided
the best approach would be to strip it right off to allow me to replace it
with plasterboard - which will bring the wall back to the level of the
intact plaster.

Question: I need to fit a 6ft by 3ft section. Would you recommend all
screws to fix it - or a few screws and some dabs of No-Nails (or any other
product). I intend leaving the laths as they will bring the plasterboard out
to the right level.

Eventually the wall will be tiled.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
I have just removed some bathroom tiles in preparation for a refurbishment.
One wall was lath and plaster and the plaster has been coming off. I decided
the best approach would be to strip it right off to allow me to replace it
with plasterboard - which will bring the wall back to the level of the
intact plaster.

Question: I need to fit a 6ft by 3ft section. Would you recommend all
screws to fix it - or a few screws and some dabs of No-Nails (or any other
product). I intend leaving the laths as they will bring the plasterboard out
to the right level.

Just use plasterboard screws to screw it to the studs underlying the
laths (or use plasterboard nails even).

If this is a tiled wall subject to regular soaking (eg in a shower) you
might want to consider a waterproof wallboard like Aquapanel instead of
plasterboard - see the archives of this newsgroup for more info.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
John wrote:
[...]

You might want to dab it with plasterboard adhesive instead as this
will hold the laths too. If you strip the laths the edges of the void
need blocking out so it could be a big job but getting the levels right
would be easier with packing strips.

Wouldn't you rather strip the whole wall and start fresh? Tiling an old
wall, you will never get a perfect match. And as you are doing a refurb
the plumbing will need hiding in the walls.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Weatherlawyer" wrote in message
ups.com...

Lobster wrote:
John wrote:
[...]

I think doing the whole wall will be a step too far for me (and I have just
bought some "handy panels" of plasterboard as a full panel won't fit in the
car.

Another question:

I am going to locate the washbasin on this wall (where the Lath and
Plaster is intact) - I am thinking of cutting out some pf the L & P and
inserting some plywood where the basin needs to be attached. Any comments?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
John wrote:
[...]

Not sure of meaning of "edges of void will need blocking out"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:

I am going to locate the washbasin on this wall (where the Lath and
Plaster is intact) - I am thinking of cutting out some pf the L & P and
inserting some plywood where the basin needs to be attached. Any comments?

That is exactly what you do. They are called patresses. Set them back
enough to cover them with the plasterboard.

The loose edges on bare studwork will flap if they go past a stud by
more than a few inches. You have to put extra support in for it. With
the laths left in place you won't need to.

Next time buy a whole sheet and cut it down to the size you want at the
yard or have them do it. You must know someone with a van or have a
shop that delivers such stuff somewhere nearby.