Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Particles in mains water supply

I get particles in my water supply. They are orange or black generally. They do not appear to be affected by a magnet. We are filtering our drinking water until we can sort it out and using bottled water. The neighbour does not have this problem. We have a lead service pipe as far as I know - rising main is definitely lead in the kitchen. House is Edwardian.
I did wander if the particles were coming from the internal pipework. We have a problem with the shower pump running roughly until it starts to pump water - see my other thread.
Should I ask our water supplier Severn Trent about the contamination? Water pressure has never been great but doesn't seem to have dropped AFAIK. I have read that a leaking service pipe is able to draw in contaminants when there is a pulse in pressure.
My priority is to know if the water is still good to drink. We have always run the cold tap for a minute
first thing or after some hours.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 25 April 2016 12:58:47 UTC+1, wrote:
[...]

If you have lead pipes, the water main is very likely cast iron.
Over the years these fill up with scabby rust/corrosion/limescale/other crap.
(Also reducing the bore of the pipe and water pressure)
The chlorine and oxygen in the water attacks the iron
If non-magnetic, it's probably limescale contaminated with a bit of rust.
To confirm, put the bits in vinegar and see if they dissolve.
Harmless but unsightly.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

I will see if the bits dissolve in vinegar as suggested. I am waiting for a call from the water quality office. I will report back when I know more. Thanks for info so far.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Do you have any steel pipework in your water system? We had a problem with
stainless steel pipework rusting internally near the HW tank.

Tim

--
Trolls AND TROLL FEEDERS all go in my kill file
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

No steel pipework as far as I know
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 25 April 2016 19:52:52 UTC+1, tony sayer wrote:
In article ,
scribeth thus
[...]

Yes you should not have that sort of thing in there. If its in their
pipes then they should fix it but even if you have olde lead pipes it
shouldn't do that!.

I'd have them to come and check the water purity and have a look at the
pressure whilst there...

The water supplier will not want to know so it is best to presume from the outset that they are going to deny everything at the reception desk. Your first complaints for example will not be replied to next there will be obfuscation.

If you get good service there will be someone visiting your house within the week. So take that as the starting point for bad service. (It could get worse! If a certain ill favoured regular poster gets the contract. It could get a (lot more) lot worse. (Don't bother thank you!! worse.))

I doubt a company that big has changed much since Thatcher but I may be wrong. In North Wales whole sections of its largest town had the problem for decades and still has it as far as I know.

How often do you have to replace tap washers?
Your problem is compounded by the fact that you don't know who is responsible and won't find out without expense. Is it possible to put inline filters on all your present taps?

How have you kept it out of the boiler?

I imagine a number of the taps could use replacement. If you have 6 months supply of detritus to be used as evidence then you may have a claim for dropping your bill or even parts and labour.

Now that the local council no longer is a party against you you might try asking their technical department if they can help. But unless you are going to do the work yourself, I think you will be looking at substantial expenses just inside the house.

Can anyone give some idea of the cost of re-piping an house these days?
Good luck.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

No steel pipework as far as I know

Are the particles in your mains supply or just in water from your tank?

Tim
--
Trolls and troll feeders go in my killfile
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'd have them to come and check the water purity and have a look at the
pressure whilst there...

The water supplier will not want to know so it is best to presume from the
outset that they are going to deny everything at the reception desk. Your first
complaints for example will not be replied to next there will be obfuscation.

Ours did, they came and took samples and were rather concerned. This was
only a couple of years ago now....

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 29 April 2016 21:15:39 UTC+1, tony sayer wrote:
I'd have them to come and check the water purity and have a look at the
pressure whilst there...

The water supplier will not want to know so it is best to presume from the
outset that they are going to deny everything at the reception desk. Your first
complaints for example will not be replied to next there will be obfuscation.

Ours did, they came and took samples and were rather concerned. This was
only a couple of years ago now....

So any day now, eh?
Have you been waiting-in long?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Weatherlawyer scribeth thus
On Friday, 29 April 2016 21:15:39 UTC+1, tony sayer wrote:
I'd have them to come and check the water purity and have a look at the
pressure whilst there...

The water supplier will not want to know so it is best to presume from the
outset that they are going to deny everything at the reception desk. Your

first
complaints for example will not be replied to next there will be obfuscation.

Ours did, they came and took samples and were rather concerned. This was
only a couple of years ago now....

So any day now, eh?
Have you been waiting-in long?

Shirly you can do better than that?...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

They took the sample last Friday. Waiting for the results which they said could take up to 10 days.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Gave us a 2 hr slot and turned up on time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Have you had any plumbing work done? I get green bits of (probably) solder stuck in the ball
cock valve in the loft carried up by the water, these make it leak.
This is 35 years after the plumber was last in the house and before I moved in.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

No but the shower pump is vibrating on start up - see other thread. Can't see a path back to the rising main for any debris though as it's fed from the CW tank.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Can't be bothered. Try quoting correctly.

Tim

--
Trolls AND TROLL FEEDERS all go in my kill file