Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Mains water supply valve question

I don't even know if I've got the right name, but it's the
valve/tap/cock/whatever in the front garden between the 'big' mains
water pipe under the road, and the house.

I spent a while prodding and digging out the cover from the front grass,
and then lifted the lid to see if it was visible. It isn't, because the
thing has filled up with soil. I suppose it would be a good idea to dig
it out, or something, but is there a standard depth for these things?
I'm just trying to work out how much time to set aside for the job. My
plan is to try to wash it out with a hose, since I can't think of
anything that will actually fit down there.

And if I do, is it likely to just fill up again?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 07 Jul 2015 21:00:14 +0100, Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:

I don't even know if I've got the right name, but it's the
valve/tap/cock/whatever in the front garden between the 'big' mains
water pipe under the road, and the house.

If it's the main one from the street to you, then ring the water company.
Their problem.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:

I'm just trying to work out how much time to set aside for the job. My
plan is to try to wash it out with a hose,

Got an old wet'n'dry hoover that's been relegated to DIY duties?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Etaoin Shrdlu" wrote in message
. uk...
I don't even know if I've got the right name, but it's the
valve/tap/cock/whatever in the front garden between the 'big' mains water
pipe under the road, and the house.

I spent a while prodding and digging out the cover from the front grass,
and then lifted the lid to see if it was visible. It isn't, because the
thing has filled up with soil. I suppose it would be a good idea to dig
it out, or something,

but is there a standard depth for these things?

Just out of arms reach!

I'm just trying to work out how much time to set aside for the job. My
plan is to try to wash it out with a hose, since I can't think of anything
that will actually fit down there.

And if I do, is it likely to just fill up again?

Fit another cover below the top cover after removing the soil.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , ARW
writes
but is there a standard depth for these things?

Just out of arms reach!

I'm just trying to work out how much time to set aside for the job.
My plan is to try to wash it out with a hose, since I can't think of
anything that will actually fit down there.

And if I do, is it likely to just fill up again?

Fit another cover below the top cover after removing the soil.

Bit of semi-rigid foam like they use to protect the meter from frost.

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/07/2015 21:04, Adrian wrote:
On Tue, 07 Jul 2015 21:00:14 +0100, Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:

I don't even know if I've got the right name, but it's the
valve/tap/cock/whatever in the front garden between the 'big' mains
water pipe under the road, and the house.

If it's the main one from the street to you, then ring the water company.
Their problem.

+1

However, don't be surprised if they dig up the pavement and replace the
entire chamber, which is how they corrected the problem with mine.

As for depth - I have known them to be anything from just below the
cover to about half a meter down. The tap operating tool I have is about
a meter long, so presumably they are not normally expected to be any
further down than that.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/07/2015 21:05, ARW wrote:
"Etaoin Shrdlu" wrote in message
. uk...

I'm just trying to work out how much time to set aside for the job.
My plan is to try to wash it out with a hose, since I can't think of
anything that will actually fit down there.

And if I do, is it likely to just fill up again?

Fit another cover below the top cover after removing the soil.

On mine, the soil had washed in from the bottom.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Etaoin wrote:
I don't even know if I've got the right name, but it's the
valve/tap/cock/whatever in the front garden between the 'big' mains
water pipe under the road, and the house.
I spent a while prodding and digging out the cover from the front grass,
and then lifted the lid to see if it was visible. It isn't, because the
thing has filled up with soil. I suppose it would be a good idea to dig
it out, or something, but is there a standard depth for these things?
I'm just trying to work out how much time to set aside for the job. My
plan is to try to wash it out with a hose, since I can't think of
anything that will actually fit down there.
And if I do, is it likely to just fill up again?

How old is the house? If the stop cock has been there a long time, it may have a clay pipe going down to it - and that may have broken, allowing the pipe to fill with soil. If so, water will make it worse. Try to get the soil out dry if you can, loosening it with a small trowel, and then removing it by hand. When lying on the ground with your arm down the hole, you should just about be able to reach the tap with your hand.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Etaoin Shrdlu" wrote in message
. uk...
I don't even know if I've got the right name, but it's the
valve/tap/cock/whatever in the front garden between the 'big' mains water
pipe under the road, and the house.

I spent a while prodding and digging out the cover from the front grass,
and then lifted the lid to see if it was visible. It isn't, because the
thing has filled up with soil. I suppose it would be a good idea to dig
it out, or something, but is there a standard depth for these things? I'm
just trying to work out how much time to set aside for the job. My plan
is to try to wash it out with a hose, since I can't think of anything that
will actually fit down there.

And if I do, is it likely to just fill up again?

I had a similar problem recently. Stopcock covered in silt and certainly
beyond arms reach.
Butchered an old tablespoon and attached a length of dowel by a couple of
jubilee clips. After much ferreting, managed to unearth the wretched thing.
More than a metre down and sodden. Fortunately it turned freely. I haven't
had occasion to use it for at least 10 years or more. Hopefully the next
time it's required I'll be pushing up daisies.
Whether the soil/silt comes from above or below, it will fill up again.
Nick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:
I don't even know if I've got the right name, but it's the
valve/tap/cock/whatever in the front garden between the 'big' mains
water pipe under the road, and the house.

I spent a while prodding and digging out the cover from the front grass,
and then lifted the lid to see if it was visible. It isn't, because the
thing has filled up with soil. I suppose it would be a good idea to dig
it out, or something, but is there a standard depth for these things?
I'm just trying to work out how much time to set aside for the job. My
plan is to try to wash it out with a hose, since I can't think of
anything that will actually fit down there.

And if I do, is it likely to just fill up again?

Lots of good suggestions - thanks, all. It's surprising to discover
that it sounds like a fairly common problem. I had visions of someone
from the water company turning up, having to switch it off quickly for
some reason, and finding a problem they'd never encountered before.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote:
On 07/07/2015 23:00, wrote:
On 07/07/2015 21:04, Adrian wrote:
On Tue, 07 Jul 2015 21:00:14 +0100, Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:

I don't even know if I've got the right name, but it's the
valve/tap/cock/whatever in the front garden between the 'big' mains
water pipe under the road, and the house.

If it's the main one from the street to you, then ring the water
company.
Their problem.

+1

However, don't be surprised if they dig up the pavement and replace the
entire chamber, which is how they corrected the problem with mine.

As for depth - I have known them to be anything from just below the
cover to about half a meter down. The tap operating tool I have is about
a meter long, so presumably they are not normally expected to be any
further down than that.

Mine was the depth of the tap operating tool. I cleared my soil filled
chamber with a hose and a wet and dry vacuum cleaner. A jet of water to
turn the soil into mud and the vacuum cleaner to suck up the mud.

However, once cleared the tap was seized. My local water provider
replaced it for free with a meter and stop cock combination, all in
plastic.

You may not get a replacement these days without signing up for a water
meter. For my household a meter reduced the bills.

I got a water meter a few years ago, after an annoying increase in
charges of about ten percent. Immediately the meter was fitted, with no
information about how much water we use, the bill went down from about
£60 per month to £40 per month, at which level it has remained ever
since. I can only assume that we were being deliberately penalised for
not having a meter.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:
alan_m wrote:
On 07/07/2015 23:00, wrote:
[...]

no - you were being charged "water rates", based on the rateable value of
your house. We ddin't get a meter until after our two girls had left home.
I suspect if we'd had it earlier our charges would have increased.

--
Please note new email address:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

charles wrote:
In article ,
Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:
alan_m wrote:
On 07/07/2015 23:00, wrote:
[...]

I realise that, but I was surprised that the rateable charge of £60 was
so out of step with the immediate metered charge of £40 at a time when
they had no idea how much we used. I'd guess that the £40 was an
estimate, itself based on the rateable value, but why should their
rateable value charge be so much higher than what I assume is their
metered estimate based on the same thing?

I expect I'm just a bit miffed that had I done this years ago, I might
have saved a few thousand pounds :-)

We've a five-year old boy who likes three baths a day (with dinosaurs
and toy ships, of course). I shudder to imagine what having two girls
will do to you bill. My sister has two girls, and says that the
bathroom never gets a chance to dry out.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/07/2015 11:42, Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:
charles wrote:
In article ,
Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:
alan_m wrote:
On 07/07/2015 23:00, wrote:
[...]

We are on a rateable value billing system, even with just 2 inhabitants
and low usage it works out significantly cheaper than if we were on a
meter.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
CB CB is offline

On 08/07/2015 13:39, Robert wrote:

We are on a rateable value billing system, even with just 2 inhabitants
and low usage it works out significantly cheaper than if we were on a
meter.

Are you in a small single bedroom apartment? The most often quoted
"rule of thumb" is that if you have less occupants than bedrooms you
will probably be better off on a meter.

Is your water currently metered (but charged at a flat rate), if not how
are you estimating your current usage?

--
CB
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/07/2015 20:10, CB wrote:
On 08/07/2015 13:39, Robert wrote:

We are on a rateable value billing system, even with just 2 inhabitants
and low usage it works out significantly cheaper than if we were on a
meter.

Are you in a small single bedroom apartment? The most often quoted
"rule of thumb" is that if you have less occupants than bedrooms you
will probably be better off on a meter.

Is your water currently metered (but charged at a flat rate), if not how
are you estimating your current usage?

Water consumption estimated using UU tool at 230 litres per day, which I
understand is below average for 2 people, this if metered would give
annual cost of £380.
Present rates based bill is £330 per year.
House is 3/4 bedroom.
Costs are totals for Water + Waste.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Etaoin
Shrdlu writes
Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:
[...]

And if you were on a meter you would be paying for the leak if it was
after the meter.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y
CB CB is offline

On 08/07/2015 21:20, Robert wrote:
On 08/07/2015 20:10, CB wrote:
On 08/07/2015 13:39, Robert wrote:

We are on a rateable value billing system, even with just 2 inhabitants
and low usage it works out significantly cheaper than if we were on a
meter.

Are you in a small single bedroom apartment? The most often quoted
"rule of thumb" is that if you have less occupants than bedrooms you
will probably be better off on a meter.

Is your water currently metered (but charged at a flat rate), if not how
are you estimating your current usage?

Water consumption estimated using UU tool at 230 litres per day, which I
understand is below average for 2 people, this if metered would give
annual cost of £380.
Present rates based bill is £330 per year.
House is 3/4 bedroom.
Costs are totals for Water + Waste.

Hmm that's interesting. I live alone and over the past year have
averaged 80 litres a day (including limited watering of the garden on a
driper for about 4-6 weeks) which in this area costs me £160 year (total
water & waste).

The last year before I went for a meter (2004) I was paying £440 per
year (including the hosepipe supplement which I think was about £80).
That is in a 3 bed house.

--
CB

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/07/2015 20:10, CB wrote:
[...]

Water seems cheaper here in Northern Cumbria !
Obviously if we only used 2x what you use we would be better off on a
meter ; however the partially shared water supplies to our terraced
houses ( with outhouses) is complicated and metering could open a can of
worms so everyone is keen to leave things alone unless their are big
savings to be made.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
bert writes:
Do you now have a key to operate the new stop cock in case of a leak and
if so where did you get it?

In all the plastic ones I've seen, the 'key' is integral and not
intended to be removed. It supports a polystyrene insulating block
to help prevent the stop cock freezing.

What can be a bit concerning is that it's plastic, and there can
be quite a bit of wind-up on the shaft before the tap operates at
the other end.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
CB CB is offline

On 08/07/2015 20:10, CB wrote:
[...]

That seems fair enough. For info I am in the Bristol & Wessex Water area.

--
CB
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/07/2015 23:15, Robert wrote:
Water seems cheaper here in Northern Cumbria !

As Cumbria is the wettest place in England, supply probably exceeds
demand. :-)

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/07/2015 09:23, Nightjar "cpb"@ wrote:
On 08/07/2015 23:15, Robert wrote:
Water seems cheaper here in Northern Cumbria !

As Cumbria is the wettest place in England, supply probably exceeds
demand. :-)

Pity the free Eco outside shower doesnt have a temperature control or
on/off valve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Andrew Gabriel
writes
In article ,
bert writes:
Do you now have a key to operate the new stop cock in case of a leak and
if so where did you get it?

In all the plastic ones I've seen, the 'key' is integral and not
intended to be removed. It supports a polystyrene insulating block
to help prevent the stop cock freezing.

What can be a bit concerning is that it's plastic, and there can
be quite a bit of wind-up on the shaft before the tap operates at
the other end.

That's what mad me think that was just to keep the socket clean and a
rigid key was required. I'll have another go at it.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/07/15 22:40, bert wrote:
In article , Andrew Gabriel
writes
In article ,
bert writes:
Do you now have a key to operate the new stop cock in case of a leak and
if so where did you get it?

In all the plastic ones I've seen, the 'key' is integral and not
intended to be removed. It supports a polystyrene insulating block
to help prevent the stop cock freezing.

What can be a bit concerning is that it's plastic, and there can
be quite a bit of wind-up on the shaft before the tap operates at
the other end.

That's what mad me think that was just to keep the socket clean and a
rigid key was required. I'll have another go at it.

That type of key when I've seen them, can be unplugged but needs a hex
key to operate (either small male or large female). In the worst case, I
suppose a socket and a socket extension bar could work.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/07/2015 22:05, bert wrote:

Do you now have a key to operate the new stop cock in case of a leak and
if so where did you get it?

I have my own key purchased from Toolstation

The stop cock fitted to my meter has a raised horizontal bar that can be
operated by a traditional stop cock turning tool. My tool is the
universal type which could also turn stop cocks with square section tap
heads.

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p30620

It will not operate taps with a hex head as fitted by some water companies.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/07/2015 23:45, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
bert writes:
Do you now have a key to operate the new stop cock in case of a leak and
if so where did you get it?

In all the plastic ones I've seen, the 'key' is integral and not
intended to be removed.

Not on mine. I have a removable foam cover which is for frost
protection[1] and also stops the crap entering the hole.

Further down is the plastic stop cock next to the meter. When replacing
the original stop cock with the meter/stop cock combination the tap was
raised up by around 2/3 foot.

http://www.admac.myzen.co.uk/water_meter/

The tap turns easily with the use of a metal key tool.

[1] When the meter reader comes along the foam insert is NEVER replaced
properly. It is just shoved down the hole with his foot.
It's worth checking before and during the winter season.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/07/15 09:57, alan_m wrote:

protection[1] and also stops the crap entering the hole.

Further down is the plastic stop cock next to the meter. When replacing
the original stop cock with the meter/stop cock combination the tap was
raised up by around 2/3 foot.

http://www.admac.myzen.co.uk/water_meter/

The tap turns easily with the use of a metal key tool.

Mine was replaced with one of those last year when I complained the old
one did not shut off fully. Must be the new style...

[1] When the meter reader comes along the foam insert is NEVER replaced
properly. It is just shoved down the hole with his foot.
It's worth checking before and during the winter season.

I did not even get a foam insert!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , alan_m
writes
On 08/07/2015 22:05, bert wrote:

Do you now have a key to operate the new stop cock in case of a leak and
if so where did you get it?

I have my own key purchased from Toolstation

The stop cock fitted to my meter has a raised horizontal bar that can
be operated by a traditional stop cock turning tool. My tool is the
universal type which could also turn stop cocks with square section tap
heads.

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p30620

It will not operate taps with a hex head as fitted by some water companies.

That's what I've got.
--
bert