Electronics (alt.electronics)

Posted to alt.electronics
Chris

Default UK mains supply question

I have bought a TIG welder that will run off UK 240 volt single phase 50
hertz AC supply, but on full power can draw up to 50 amps. I want to wire
this off the house incoming mains distribution board, to a spur in my
worksshop, about 30 feet away. The mains supply from the road is on a 100
amp fuse to the meter. The meter then feeds straight to a fuse switch with
an 80 amp fuse in it. If I can get an extra pair of tails into the outlest
of this switch fuse i was going to run armoured cable to a 60 amp switch
fuse in the workshop, with the welder hard wired into that. Can anyone see
a problem with this? I live in the sticks, and although the mains is fused
100 amp the incoming armoured cable form the pole looks quite thin...

What core size armoured do I need to be looking at? BTW, a pic of the
welder load plate is at ftp://ftp.chriswilson.tv/mig/mig.jpg

Thanks.
Posted to alt.electronics
Coyoteboy

"Chris" wrote in message
[...]

One problem is that it is now illegal to do your own work on stuff like
this - check the building regs.
If anyone asks you did it last year

Posted to alt.electronics
Chris

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 13:05:57 +0000 (UTC), Coyoteboy wrote:

this off the house incoming mains distribution board, to a spur in my

OK, last year it was, cheers