Terry

Default Melamine paint kitchen countertops?

Considering 'refinishingh' two 8 foot 33 year old
formica/arborite surfaced kitchen counter-tops using melamine
paint.
One counter contains a ss double sink.
Any advice/warnings/precautions, success or lack thereof would be
most welcome.
Regards to all. Terry.
Andy Hall

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 14:50:50 -0330, Terry
wrote:

Considering 'refinishingh' two 8 foot 33 year old
formica/arborite surfaced kitchen counter-tops using melamine
paint.
One counter contains a ss double sink.
Any advice/warnings/precautions, success or lack thereof would be
most welcome.
Regards to all. Terry.

For a worktop, I don't think that this is going to give a good result
in terms of wear resistance, Terry.

I've used a melamine paint on a vertical surface and it will tolerate
being rubbed for cleaning with no real problem.
The important thing is to abrade the surface with a sander and then
clean thoroughly.

However, for a worksurface there is more mechanical activity in terms
of things being slid around etc. and I think you will find that it
will mark and show dings fairly quickly.

I think that you would be much better off getting some laminate, again
abrade the surface, stick with a contact adhesive. You could then
trim with a router and finish the edges with hardwood or something of
that nature or even more laminate.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Grunff

Terry wrote:

Considering 'refinishingh' two 8 foot 33 year old
formica/arborite surfaced kitchen counter-tops using melamine
paint.
One counter contains a ss double sink.
Any advice/warnings/precautions, success or lack thereof would be
most welcome.
Regards to all. Terry.

Don't do it - melamine paint is ok for kitchen unit doors etc,
but not for worktops.

I'd seriously consider replacement. Worktops are really cheap,
and not very difficult to fit. New worktops can make a huge
difference to the look of a kitchen.

Incidentally, if you do use melamine paint, I can recommend the
International range, I've had good results with that.

--
Grunff

Terry

Terry wrote:

Considering 'refinishingh' two 8 foot 33 year old
formica/arborite surfaced kitchen counter-tops using melamine
paint. .................. snip .............

Much appreciate the replies/advice which tend to confirm concerns
about using melamine on a 'work' surface.
But, having seen it on TV it was an idea that came to mind when
contemplating our well used kitchen.
The solution will probably be to install new counter tops since
the existing ones have contoured edge and back splash and it
would be difficult to cut or router to apply a new surface over
them. The counters are two straightforward 8 foot lengths, no 90
degree corners and no ends to worry about because all abut
appliances or walls! Also only one sink cut out. So having
managed it when we originally built the house 33 years ago we'll
do it again.
Salutations and thanks.
Terry.