Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default lagging pipes: what to lag?

Hello,

I am about to lift some floorboards and do some plumbing. I am unsure
about whether to lag the pipes or not.

It seems to me that central heating pipes will be circulating hot
water for hours each day, so it would make sense to lag these pipes,
as heat radiated under the floor would be wasted heat.

I am less sure what to do with hot and cold water to the taps though.

I would think that hot water would only be used for short periods of
time. By the time you switch a hot tap on for a second time, surely
the pipes will have lost all of their heat whether they are lagged or
not?

Would a hot water pipe lose much heat during the short time hot water
was flowing through it to a tap? What if it were used for slightly
longer to fill a bath or run a shower? Unlike the central heating,
these pipes might only be carrying hot water for a few minutes each
day. Would the cost of the heat loss exceed the cost of the lagging?

Is there any point lagging the cold water pipes? In my last house,
condensation always formed on the pipe work where the main entered the
house. I guess lagging that section would prevent condensation. Is
condensation likely to form anywhere else?

Would lagging the cold water keep it cooler in the summer? I can't
imagine that it gets hot enough under the floor to warm it up on a
summer's day, and it would soon flush through with cold water from
under the street.

Is it more that I should lag the water pipes to protect against
freezing rather than heat loss?

Thanks,
Stephen.

Lagging on gas pipes? Tough Guy no. 1265 UK diy 42 February 16th 15 02:50 AM
Lagging external gas pipes amateur UK diy 27 January 25th 15 02:23 PM
CH pipe lagging? BartC UK diy 2 December 3rd 10 09:39 PM
Pipe Lagging Microbore Pipes darren_forward UK diy 3 May 31st 06 03:15 PM
Lagging plastic pipes [email protected] UK diy 2 May 31st 06 10:24 AM