Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fridge failure

My 12 year old Samsung American style fridge freezer has died.

I found it had blown the fuse, so I replaced it but that just failed, so
I disconnected the compressor motor. I tried a 3rd fuse which kept
working, so to prove the point I reconnected the compressor motor. Now
when I switch on, the fuse does not blow, but the compressor does not
run. As far as I can work out there is power going to the motor and the
motor circuit is not open circuit.

It is a bit of a pity, because apart from not working the fridge is in
quite good condition. Changing the compressor is not an easy job, I
doubt that repair is economic.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Michael Chare" wrote in message
My 12 year old Samsung American style fridge freezer has died.

I found it had blown the fuse, so I replaced it but that just failed, so I
disconnected the compressor motor. I tried a 3rd fuse which kept working,
so to prove the point I reconnected the compressor motor. Now when I
switch on, the fuse does not blow, but the compressor does not run. As far
as I can work out there is power going to the motor and the motor circuit
is not open circuit.

It is a bit of a pity, because apart from not working the fridge is in
quite good condition. Changing the compressor is not an easy job, I doubt
that repair is economic.

--
Michael Chare

Assuming there is a capacitor on the compressor might that have failed?

Stephen

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 19 April 2016 16:21:06 UTC+1, Michael Chare wrote:
My 12 year old Samsung American style fridge freezer has died.

I found it had blown the fuse, so I replaced it but that just failed, so
I disconnected the compressor motor. I tried a 3rd fuse which kept
working, so to prove the point I reconnected the compressor motor. Now
when I switch on, the fuse does not blow, but the compressor does not
run. As far as I can work out there is power going to the motor and the
motor circuit is not open circuit.

It is a bit of a pity, because apart from not working the fridge is in
quite good condition. Changing the compressor is not an easy job, I
doubt that repair is economic.

I wouldn't assume that.

NT