Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default pressure washer patio cleaner attachment

Hello,

Some time ago I bought the parkside (lidl own brand) patio cleaner
attachment for my pressure washer.

I think it is this one, or one like it:
www.lidl-service.com/static/6708656/38031_EN.pdf

I have never had much luck with it. The arm does not spin so I end up
removing it and clean using the lance!

Have I got a bad one or are all the parkside ones like this? Is it
because they are a cheap make?

Can I fix it (how?)? Or should I replace it, and if so, with which
brand?

Thanks,
Stephen.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 13 Apr 2016 20:01:04 +0100, Stephen
wrote:

Hello,

Some time ago I bought the parkside (lidl own brand) patio cleaner
attachment for my pressure washer.

I think it is this one, or one like it:
www.lidl-service.com/static/6708656/38031_EN.pdf

I have never had much luck with it. The arm does not spin so I end up
removing it and clean using the lance!

Have I got a bad one or are all the parkside ones like this? Is it
because they are a cheap make?

Can I fix it (how?)?

Are you sure you didn't have to fit the jets themselves (in the end of
each arm)?

That said, I think the ones that come with the PWs generally come with
them fitted, whereas 'universal' patio heads or those that may fit
more than one model may require the user to fit the nozzles
appropriate for the pressure / lpm of the cleaner it's used with.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , T i m
writes
wrote:

Hello,

Some time ago I bought the parkside (lidl own brand) patio cleaner
attachment for my pressure washer.

I think it is this one, or one like it:
www.lidl-service.com/static/6708656/38031_EN.pdf

I have never had much luck with it. The arm does not spin so I end up
removing it and clean using the lance!

Have I got a bad one or are all the parkside ones like this? Is it
because they are a cheap make?

Can I fix it (how?)?

Are you sure you didn't have to fit the jets themselves (in the end of
each arm)?

That said, I think the ones that come with the PWs generally come with
them fitted, whereas 'universal' patio heads or those that may fit
more than one model may require the user to fit the nozzles
appropriate for the pressure / lpm of the cleaner it's used with.

The better of our two is a Karcher. Both rotate OK but one cleans a
narrow ring only.

One thing to watch, the bayonet coupling may not be interchangeable from
one manufacturer to another.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/04/2016 20:01, Stephen wrote:
Hello,

Some time ago I bought the parkside (lidl own brand) patio cleaner
attachment for my pressure washer.

I think it is this one, or one like it:
www.lidl-service.com/static/6708656/38031_EN.pdf

I have never had much luck with it. The arm does not spin so I end up
removing it and clean using the lance!

Have I got a bad one or are all the parkside ones like this? Is it
because they are a cheap make?

Can I fix it (how?)? Or should I replace it, and if so, with which
brand?

Thanks,
Stephen.

Assuming it has nozzles fitted, does the bar spin really easily by hand?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4/13/2016 8:01 PM, Stephen wrote:
Hello,

Some time ago I bought the parkside (lidl own brand) patio cleaner
attachment for my pressure washer.

I think it is this one, or one like it:
www.lidl-service.com/static/6708656/38031_EN.pdf

I have never had much luck with it. The arm does not spin so I end up
removing it and clean using the lance!

Have I got a bad one or are all the parkside ones like this? Is it
because they are a cheap make?

Can I fix it (how?)? Or should I replace it, and if so, with which
brand?

Thanks,
Stephen.

Lidl are usually pretty good on replacing genuinely faulty goods. (Only
happened to me once, and never with Parkside kit).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 13 Apr 2016 22:06:52 +0100, Tim Lamb
wrote:

In message , T i m
writes
wrote:

[...]

Yes, I've seen that between two different patio heads on the same
pressure washer. That latter cleans in a sausage pattern but only if
you move it slowly (or you get spirals / rings). The former seems to
clean entire circles (all be it that it was a smaller diameter head
and may have had multiple nozzles)?

One thing to watch, the bayonet coupling may not be interchangeable from
one manufacturer to another.

Understood, although you can get adaptors to go between the more
common ones I believe.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/04/2016 22:06, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , T i m
writes
wrote:

[...]

They all clean a narrow ring, you have to move them forwards to join up
the rings.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/04/2016 20:01, Stephen wrote:
Hello,

Some time ago I bought the parkside (lidl own brand) patio cleaner
attachment for my pressure washer.

I think it is this one, or one like it:
www.lidl-service.com/static/6708656/38031_EN.pdf

I have never had much luck with it. The arm does not spin so I end up
removing it and clean using the lance!

Have I got a bad one or are all the parkside ones like this? Is it
because they are a cheap make?

Can I fix it (how?)? Or should I replace it, and if so, with which
brand?

Thanks,
Stephen.

I use an Aldi one and its fine.

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Whilst you are right, there do seem to be differences between them.

We (well, daughter) got a Nilfisk E140.3-9 PAD for now (the Boxjet is
on the upgrade list) and because of an ordering hiccup, ended up with
an additional / different patio head.

The one that came with the machine was ready to rock and 'seems' (we
will have to check again when we use it next) to clean in nearly
complete circles (turn it on, keep the head still, turn it off and you
see a clean circle).

The other one required the jets adding (from a choice of two) and
possibly because it's bigger or only has two jets (one each end of the
spinning bar), definitely washes in a discrete ring.

So with the larger head there is a maximum speed you can move before
you just leave loads of rings, as seen he

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...20Head%202.jpg

Maybe more 'cleaning power' would minimise the effect.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 13 Apr 2016 22:10:23 +0100, newshound
wrote:

Lidl are usually pretty good on replacing genuinely faulty goods. (Only
happened to me once, and never with Parkside kit).

But I would have to wait for the next time they sold them to get an
exchange, which could be a while.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 13 Apr 2016 20:50:23 +0100, T i m wrote:

Are you sure you didn't have to fit the jets themselves (in the end of
each arm)?

No, as far as I remember, it did not come with different jets to go on
the arms. They were already on.

It did come with different adaptors for the bayonet on "the stick" but
fortunately mine fitted the default one.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Sounds like the jets are too big? Only ever seen them with two jets
(one each end of the spinning bar).

So with the larger head there is a maximum speed you can move before
you just leave loads of rings, as seen he

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...20Head%202.jpg

Maybe more 'cleaning power' would minimise the effect.

Cheers, T i m

I reckon jets too big, lower pressure, slower spin effect.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 13 Apr 2016 22:07:15 +0100, David Lang
wrote:

Assuming it has nozzles fitted, does the bar spin really easily by hand?

I can spin it using one finger, so it is not seized. It doesn't spin
for long though.

Now I think about it, there is a pressure gauge on the handle of the
pressure washer and when I used the patio head, the gauge only showed
half pressure but when I replaced the patio attachment with the lance,
the gauge showed full pressure. Could this mean there is a blockage in
the patio attachment, preventing the pressure and stopping it from
spinning?

I have a Wickes pressure washer. I bought it after reading your advice
here (thanks) about getting one that was heavy, implying that it did
not have a plastic tank. Having a quick look on the Wickes site, they
don't seem to sell their own any more.

Can you remember who made them for Wickes. Mine fell over because the
drive is steep and it has cracked the case. I was wondering if I could
get a replacement case?

Thanks,
Stephen.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 10:22:08 +0100, David Lang
wrote:

snip

The other one required the jets adding (from a choice of two) and
possibly because it's bigger or only has two jets (one each end of the
spinning bar), definitely washes in a discrete ring.

Sounds like the jets are too big?

Not impossible. It came with two pairs, black and white and a chart
indicating which (NilFisk) models you used with which. We found our
model and fitted the appropriate jets. OOI, I will check if I can
gauge the size of the holes in each of the sizes and if we have fitted
the larger, try the smaller.

Only ever seen them with two jets
(one each end of the spinning bar).

You may be right. I'll check the next time I go near the PW.

So with the larger head there is a maximum speed you can move before
you just leave loads of rings, as seen he

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...20Head%202.jpg

Maybe more 'cleaning power' would minimise the effect.

I reckon jets too big, lower pressure, slower spin effect.

Understood.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Assuming it has nozzles fitted, does the bar spin really easily by hand?

I can spin it using one finger, so it is not seized. It doesn't spin
for long though.

Now I think about it, there is a pressure gauge on the handle of the
pressure washer and when I used the patio head, the gauge only showed
half pressure but when I replaced the patio attachment with the lance,
the gauge showed full pressure. Could this mean there is a blockage in
the patio attachment, preventing the pressure and stopping it from
spinning?

snip

I would say that suggested there wasn't enough back-pressure (from the
patio head) and that might also explain why it doesn't spin (not
enough pressure at the head to get the thin moving)?

As I think I understand you bought the head separately from the PW,
maybe it's just not suitable (designed for a more powerfully PW)?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Seen a similar problem on a Karcher if the incoming flow rate
is too low. The head jets require more water.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Assuming it has nozzles fitted, does the bar spin really easily by
hand?
I can spin it using one finger, so it is not seized. It doesn't spin
for long though.

Now I think about it, there is a pressure gauge on the handle of the
pressure washer and when I used the patio head, the gauge only showed
half pressure but when I replaced the patio attachment with the lance,
the gauge showed full pressure. Could this mean there is a blockage in
the patio attachment, preventing the pressure and stopping it from
spinning?

A blockage would cause the gauge to rise.
snip

I would say that suggested there wasn't enough back-pressure (from the
patio head) and that might also explain why it doesn't spin (not
enough pressure at the head to get the thin moving)?

As I think I understand you bought the head separately from the PW,
maybe it's just not suitable (designed for a more powerfully PW)?

Cheers, T i m

Seen a similar problem on a Karcher if the incoming flow rate
is too low. The head jets require more water.

Absolutely. The jets are too large an aperture.

The difference between one nozzle size and the next one up (or down) can
be as little as 0.05mm.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 20:49:03 +0100, David Lang
wrote:

The jets are too large an aperture.

The difference between one nozzle size and the next one up (or down) can
be as little as 0.05mm.

Thanks. At least I know what is causing it now. I don't know if it
came with other nozzles. If it did, I've lost them, so I guess I will
have to buy a new attachment. Do you recommend any particular make?

BTW Who used to make the pressure washers for Wickes? I think it was a
well known brand.

Thanks,
Stephen.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 11:08:27 +0100, T i m wrote:

I would say that suggested there wasn't enough back-pressure (from the
patio head) and that might also explain why it doesn't spin (not
enough pressure at the head to get the thin moving)?

As I think I understand you bought the head separately from the PW,
maybe it's just not suitable (designed for a more powerfully PW)?

I think it was one of their [Wickes'] best pressure washers so I don't
think it is a case of it not being powerful enough. I think it must be
the nozzles are too big, which would then cause the loss of back
pressure you describe?

Thanks,
Stephen.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 24 Apr 2016 08:55:20 +0100, Stephen
wrote:

On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 11:08:27 +0100, T i m wrote:

I would say that suggested there wasn't enough back-pressure (from the
patio head) and that might also explain why it doesn't spin (not
enough pressure at the head to get the thin moving)?

As I think I understand you bought the head separately from the PW,
maybe it's just not suitable (designed for a more powerfully PW)?

I think it was one of their [Wickes'] best pressure washers so I don't
think it is a case of it not being powerful enough.

The thing is I'm not sure if *any* domestic / electric pressure
washers would be considered good / powerful enough for some people
(professionals) or uses. I'm not saying there aren't any units that
are considered 'ok', just that they are often much more expensive than
anything you would find in one of the sheds.

So you get 'domestic' rating (pressure / flow rate) which are often
like 'peak music power' ratings for amplifiers (eg, vastly
overestimated or basically lies) and you generally get the 'real'
ratings on the more professional stuff.

A similar thing to pressure washers is air compressors and you would
be surprised how big (and expensive) you actually have to go before
you can do anything serious. I have a direct drive 50l twin cylinder
compressor that is marked as 8 bar and 15 cfm but it's pathetic
compared with my mates 3 phase jobby. Mine is 'ok' of course for some
things (like inflating tyres or dusting off small items) but try it on
a shot blasting cabinet or air chisel and it would struggle.

I think it must be
the nozzles are too big, which would then cause the loss of back
pressure you describe?

If the patio head was one designed to go with basic / 'domestic'
pressure washers then there is no reason it shouldn't work with a
reasonable one. However, as mentioned above, I think they are one of
those things that may 'test' the abilities of PW's in general. If you
are using a lance to say clean a patio you can go as slow and stay as
close as you want to manage the actual cleaning power.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...ure_.26_F low

With a rotating head cleaner, if there isn't sufficient 'cleaning
power' it may not work very well or not work at all and you the user
don't have any impact over that. ;-(

Cheers, T i m