Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Perpetual motion???

https://www.facebook.com/Nerd360/vid...81434/?fref=nf

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/04/16 10:49, David Lang wrote:
https://www.facebook.com/Nerd360/vid...81434/?fref=nf

At last, Praise God! Now we can cancel Hinkley C and save the planet!

Tim W
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 10/04/2016 11:05, TimW wrote:
On 10/04/16 10:49, David Lang wrote:
https://www.facebook.com/Nerd360/vid...81434/?fref=nf

At last, Praise God! Now we can cancel Hinkley C and save the planet!

It is slowing down, and he grabs it just before it stops completely?
Either that, or there are electro-magnets in the base making it all
work, but I think it's just slowing down.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I can't use facebook.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"GB" wrote in message
On 10/04/2016 11:05, TimW wrote:
On 10/04/16 10:49, David Lang wrote:
https://www.facebook.com/Nerd360/vid...81434/?fref=nf

At last, Praise God! Now we can cancel Hinkley C and save the planet!

It is slowing down, and he grabs it just before it stops completely?
Either that, or there are electro-magnets in the base making it all work,
but I think it's just slowing down.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Be thankful for small mercies, Brian.

En el artículo , Brian Gaff
escribió:
I can't use facebook.
Brian

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) Windows 10: less of an OS, more of a drive-by mugging.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/04/16 12:36, GB wrote:
On 10/04/2016 11:05, TimW wrote:
On 10/04/16 10:49, David Lang wrote:
https://www.facebook.com/Nerd360/vid...81434/?fref=nf

At last, Praise God! Now we can cancel Hinkley C and save the planet!

It is slowing down, and he grabs it just before it stops completely?
Either that, or there are electro-magnets in the base making it all
work, but I think it's just slowing down.

There is a point in the cycle if you watch carefully which defies belief
(and physics) and must be done with clockwork or magnets or something.

tim W

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

TimW Wrote in message:
On 10/04/16 10:49, David Lang wrote:
https://www.facebook.com/Nerd360/vid...81434/?fref=nf

At last, Praise God! Now we can cancel Hinkley C and save the planet!

Tim W

But what will power the under counter electromagnets!
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

This reminds me of the old superconductiing magnets scam. You have to cool
the wire generating the field to some ridiculously low temperature, then the
current flows round and round. However, if you use that field to do anything
the current will decay. I don't believe any perpetual motion ideas. There is
no such thing. Entropy goes in just one direction.

I suppose if you could use some of what they call quantum vacuum energy you
might do it, but then you are probably sucking the guts out of another
universe somewhere.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"jim" k wrote in message
o.uk...
TimW Wrote in message:
On 10/04/16 10:49, David Lang wrote:
https://www.facebook.com/Nerd360/vid...81434/?fref=nf

At last, Praise God! Now we can cancel Hinkley C and save the planet!

Tim W

But what will power the under counter electromagnets!
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I can remember that little globe you could buy with a rotating multi ended
paddle in it one side painted white the other blank and it just went around
all the time.
Not perpetual motion, just energy doing what energy does I'm afraid.

Brian

--
----- -

"David Lang" wrote in message
https://www.facebook.com/Nerd360/vid...81434/?fref=nf

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Apr 2016 07:09:51 -0700 (PDT), Adam Aglionby
wrote:

On Sunday, April 10, 2016 at 2:41:13 PM UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
I can remember that little globe you could buy with a rotating multi ended
paddle in it one side painted white the other blank and it just went around
all the time.

Crooke`s Radiometer

Mines not moving right now but it does get a wriggle on when the sun
does come out fully.

In fact I'd say it's probably a good indicator of the sort of energy
levels you might expect from a solar panel. (On those I have played
with), yes, you get something out in 'daylight' but often lot much.
Get the sun shining on it and pretty square on directionally and then
you can get the full effect / output (hence the reason many solar
panels track the sun and why they are best sited in countries with
lots of strong sunshine). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Sunday, April 10, 2016 at 2:41:13 PM UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
I can remember that little globe you could buy with a rotating multi ended
paddle in it one side painted white the other blank and it just went around
all the time.

Crooke`s Radiometer

Mines not moving right now but it does get a wriggle on when the sun
does come out fully.

In fact I'd say it's probably a good indicator of the sort of energy
levels you might expect from a solar panel. (On those I have played
with), yes, you get something out in 'daylight' but often lot much.
Get the sun shining on it and pretty square on directionally and then
you can get the full effect / output (hence the reason many solar
panels track the sun and why they are best sited in countries with
lots of strong sunshine). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

The theory of how and why they work is quite interesting too (well, if
you are a nerdy physicist).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crookes_radiometer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Sunday, April 10, 2016 at 2:41:13 PM UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
I can remember that little globe you could buy with a rotating multi ended
paddle in it one side painted white the other blank and it just went around
all the time.

Crooke`s Radiometer

Mines not moving right now but it does get a wriggle on when the sun
does come out fully.

In fact I'd say it's probably a good indicator of the sort of energy
levels you might expect from a solar panel. (On those I have played
with), yes, you get something out in 'daylight' but often lot much.
Get the sun shining on it and pretty square on directionally and then
you can get the full effect / output (hence the reason many solar
panels track the sun and why they are best sited in countries with
lots of strong sunshine). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

That's just because bright photons are heavier and impart more momentum
when they stop.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Err, no! "Bright" sunlight has more photons, not heavier ones.

Shorter wavelength (bluer) photons _are_ heavier (*) and impart more
momentum when they stop.

*: Well, the "weight" of a photon is slightly complex. Photons have
zero rest mass, but they have mass from their energy (E=mc^2).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"David Lang" wrote in message
https://www.facebook.com/Nerd360/vid...81434/?fref=nf

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman

At the start, he does'n't place the ball in the track, lift up and release the
track, He drops the ball into the track from maybe only 1 or 2mm
which changes everything as to initial conditions

The apparatus isn't in fact slowing down as such, its jerking about as its a
(constrained ) double pendulum showing chaotic motion. And as such it
could stop at any time.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4/10/2016 3:43 PM, michael adams wrote:
"David Lang" wrote in message
https://www.facebook.com/Nerd360/vid...81434/?fref=nf

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman

At the start, he does'n't place the ball in the track, lift up and release the
track, He drops the ball into the track from maybe only 1 or 2mm
which changes everything as to initial conditions

The apparatus isn't in fact slowing down as such, its jerking about as its a
(constrained ) double pendulum showing chaotic motion. And as such it
could stop at any time.

michael adams

Don't believe that for a minute, it's far to lossy with all the bouncing
around. As others have said, there will be an electromagnetic system in
the base.

Here are some much more elegant medieval versions

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...inci&FORM=IGRE
Posted to uk.d-i-y

o.uk...
"David Lang" wrote in message
https://www.facebook.com/Nerd360/vid...81434/?fref=nf

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman

At the start, he does'n't place the ball in the track, lift up and release the
track, He drops the ball into the track from maybe only 1 or 2mm
which changes everything as to initial conditions

The apparatus isn't in fact slowing down as such, its jerking about as its a
(constrained ) double pendulum showing chaotic motion. And as such it
could stop at any time.

michael adams

Don't believe that for a minute, it's far to lossy with all the bouncing around.

There's no reason why a chaotic system shouldn't have bouncing
around. Just as the pivots could all be slack. Strictly
speaking of course this isn't a double pendulum, but an
apparatus with two pivots and two weights, one moving, which
simulate the effects of gravity on a double pendulum.

Its a chaotic system because the movemenbts appear to be
irregular, and there's no straightforward linear relationship
between the initial condition, the height from which the
ball is dropped in the tray and the subsequent behavior of the
apparatus and most importantly here how long it continues to
pivot.

Basically he'll have been playing around with this and it filming
for ages. In some trials it will have stopped in two seconds. This
was his most successful trial. Had he spend another couple of weeks
at it he may have been able to set a new record, but being a chaotic
system he'd be choosing his initial heights at random.

michael adams

michael adams

&qpvt=perpetual+motion+leonardo+da+vinci&FORM=I GRE

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"michael adams" wrote in message

o.uk...
"David Lang" wrote in message
[...]

You haven't even noticed that it can't actually work at all, because
there is nothing to drive the center hinge down once the ball has
ended up at the extreme outer end. There must be an electro
magnet pulling the center hinge down, activated by some sensor
that detects the ball running into the end of the bit it moves on.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

You haven't even noticed that it can't actually work at all, because
there is nothing to drive the center hinge down once the ball has
ended up at the extreme outer end.

What makes you assume that the centre hinge necessarily
weighs less than the ball ?

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

michael adams wrote:
"David Lang" wrote in message
https://www.facebook.com/Nerd360/vid...81434/?fref=nf

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman

At the start, he does'n't place the ball in the track, lift up and release the
track, He drops the ball into the track from maybe only 1 or 2mm
which changes everything as to initial conditions

The apparatus isn't in fact slowing down as such, its jerking about as its a
(constrained ) double pendulum showing chaotic motion. And as such it
could stop at any time.

michael adams

This is a diy, group everybody should be running to their shed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/04/16 04:07, F Murtz wrote:
michael adams wrote:
"David Lang" wrote in message
https://www.facebook.com/Nerd360/vid...81434/?fref=nf

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman

At the start, he does'n't place the ball in the track, lift up and
release the
track, He drops the ball into the track from maybe only 1 or 2mm
which changes everything as to initial conditions

The apparatus isn't in fact slowing down as such, its jerking about as
its a
(constrained ) double pendulum showing chaotic motion. And as such it
could stop at any time.

michael adams

This is a diy, group everybody should be running to their shed.

Drinking straws and paper clips on my desk.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nope, it will stop eventually due to friction losses.

David Lang wrote

https://www.facebook.com/Nerd360/vid...81434/?fref=nf

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/04/2016 10:49, David Lang wrote:
https://www.facebook.com/Nerd360/vid...81434/?fref=nf

Replace the counter weights with brass washers. They drop far to
smartly for gravity alone.

Cheers
--
Syd
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Syd Rumpo wrote:

On 10/04/2016 10:49, David Lang wrote:
https://www.facebook.com/Nerd360/vid...81434/?fref=nf

Replace the counter weights with brass washers. They drop far to
smartly for gravity alone.

Cheers
--
Syd

No, there's an electro magnet under the pedestal on the right, pulling
down the ball bearing periodically.

--
Dave W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Hogg wrote
David Lang wrote

https://www.facebook.com/Nerd360/vid...81434/?fref=nf

I can see no inherent reason why, when the ball contacts the outer
pad, the arm should bend at the hinge point. Quite the opposite, in
fact. With the weight of the ball at the outer end of its travel, and the
counter-weight on the other end, the RH side should remain straight.

True, obvious fraud when you point it out.

So what's causing the hinge point to drop, thus allowing the
ball to roll inwards?

My guess there's a sensor in the outer pad, a reed relay or
short-duration switch, that closes as the ball reaches the end stop.
This activates a magnet under the hinge, pulling it down, causing the
ball to roll into the dip. This allows the reed relay to open, or the
short-duration switch turns off, switching off the electromagnet and
releasing the hinge, when the counterweight pulls it back up. There's
just enough slope on the outer part of the arm to allow the ball to
roll out to the end, activate the sensor and the cycle repeats