Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Linux and Old Landrovers

En el artículo ,
Clive George escribió:

You'll carry on contributing to the swamping of uk.d-i-y with off-topic
crap, like most of the top posters to this group, and you can
congratulate yourself on being part of the reason why it's less useful
than it used to be.

Or you could say "hmm, maybe I have been spending too much time doing
this", and start contributing something positive like you claim you had
been. Your choice.

Well said. Thank you.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) Windows 10: less of an OS, more of a drive-by mugging.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 01 Apr 2016 01:22:34 +0100, Clive George wrote:

On 31/03/2016 23:02, T i m wrote:

You're currently one of the most
prolific posters here,

Cite?

No need to be unnecessarily tedious. It's pretty obvious.

No. You have made a statement and I'd like confirmation. There are
many many threads that I haven't entered at all and I'm obviously not
here talking to myself. Can't you pull up some actual stats somewhere?

Because it's quite easy for me to do, here's the number of posts from
the top 20 posters to uk.d-i-y for March :

'Dave Plowman (News)' ) 665
The Natural Philosopher ) 351
188
harry ) 178
Tim Streater ) 176
T i m ) 165
Tim Watts ) 165
whisky-dave ) 151
'Mr Macaw' ) 136

Hello. Damn newsreader flagged this up as "interesting post".

Mike Tomlinson ) 116
bert ) 113
'michael adams' ) 107
John Rumm ) 105
Tim Lamb ) 103
'Brian Gaff' ) 103
charles ) 97
'ARW' ) 90
Jonno ) 83
Chris Hogg ) 82
Capitol ) 79

Rod is kf'd, so doesn't make it in - though if we added together all his
nyms, he might be top.

So, congratulations - 7th, if we include Rod. Not joint with Tim Watts,
he's got 2 posts under another nym, you've got 7. I think that supports
my assertion.

(Dave's been busy hasn't he - probably arguing with Rod)

--
If you were amazed to discover that cell phones have uses other than setting off roadside bombs, you may be a Muslim.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

in 1473263 20160401 181552 T i m wrote:
On Fri, 1 Apr 2016 17:09:04 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 01/04/16 09:19, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el art�culo , www.GymRatZ.co.uk
escribi�:

Hence the dabble with Mint.

I think you'll like it. I've tried several distros over the past few
months but find myself coming back to Mint. It just works.

Mint is so good I haven't felt the need to try anything else.

Its just works out of the box, and after playing for a day with styles
layouts and colours, I simply don't even notice its there.

Until it stops being supported and you have to upgrade to a later
version that you have to install again from scratch (in comparison
with the likes of Ubuntu that allows you to do an 'in-situ' upgrade).

Mint is a slightly-modified Ubuntu.

https://www.linuxmint.com/download_all.php
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 02 Apr 2016 08:23:34 BST, Bob Martin
wrote:

snip

Until it stops being supported and you have to upgrade to a later
version that you have to install again from scratch (in comparison
with the likes of Ubuntu that allows you to do an 'in-situ' upgrade).

Mint is a slightly-modified Ubuntu.

https://www.linuxmint.com/download_all.php

Yes, but one of the 'differences' is that it (Mint) doesn't (or
didn't) offer to do an online upgrade from say V15 to V16 in the same
way Ubuntu would from say from 15.04 to 15.10.

So, you had (have?) to re-install and I believe it was advised to do a
fresh install (backup you stuff, fresh install, restore your stuff /
settings etc), rather than installing over the top.

https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2

With Ubuntu you got the option to upgrade from one version to the next
(depending if it was LTS or non LTS releases) that would generally
make it easier to stay current for ordinary computer users (the very
people being targeted by the likes of Ubuntu and Mint) who just had to
click 'Yes' to the upgrade.

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/upgrade

The reason all that was (is?) very pertinent was at the time many
people were running XP and therefore used to the idea of an OS lasting
10+ years so it was very difficult to 'sell' the concept of a complete
re-install every year (or whatever the support cycle was for that
distro / variant).

From your link it looks like Mint isn't offering the yearly releases
but only the LTS versions?

This suggests that is the case:

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=189486

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 01/04/16 09:19, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el art�culo , www.GymRatZ.co.uk
escribi�:

Hence the dabble with Mint.

I think you'll like it. I've tried several distros over the past few
months but find myself coming back to Mint. It just works.

Mint is so good I haven't felt the need to try anything else.

Its just works out of the box, and after playing for a day with styles
layouts and colours, I simply don't even notice its there.

Until it stops being supported and you have to upgrade to a later
version that you have to install again from scratch (in comparison
with the likes of Ubuntu that allows you to do an 'in-situ' upgrade).

Mint is a slightly-modified Ubuntu.

https://www.linuxmint.com/download_all.php

And its been in situ upgrades for at least the last three releases.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 01/04/16 09:19, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el art�culo , www.GymRatZ.co.uk
escribi�:

Hence the dabble with Mint.

I think you'll like it. I've tried several distros over the past few
months but find myself coming back to Mint. It just works.

Mint is so good I haven't felt the need to try anything else.

Its just works out of the box, and after playing for a day with styles
layouts and colours, I simply don't even notice its there.

Until it stops being supported and you have to upgrade to a later
version that you have to install again from scratch (in comparison
with the likes of Ubuntu that allows you to do an 'in-situ' upgrade).

Mint is a slightly-modified Ubuntu.

https://www.linuxmint.com/download_all.php

And its been in situ upgrades for at least the last three releases.

Does Clem need to update this guide then (although it says it was
edited 3 months ago):

https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2

Do ordinary users get a simple GUI option to 'upgrade' or do they have
to do anything 'more'?

It would good to hear that Mint does offer a 'user friendly' upgrade
path (irrespective of how it might not be the technically 'best'
option) as that way 'ordinary users' can keep their systems up to date
themselves and not suffer the 'can't update xyx' or 'missing
repositories' (hopefully) etc.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , The Natural Philosopher
escribió:

And its been in situ upgrades for at least the last three releases.

just goes to show how much D i m knows, i.e. the square root of ****
all.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) Windows 10: less of an OS, more of a drive-by mugging.
(")_(") -- "Esme" on el Reg
Posted to uk.d-i-y

escribió:

And its been in situ upgrades for at least the last three releases.

just goes to show how much D i m knows, i.e. the square root of ****
all.

'How much this 'admin user' knows about Linux or how much Linux
changes between releases and based on the information he gleans from
the odd experiment and the online information' you mean?

https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2

Once again this is a good demonstration of just how sad this 'Mike'
character is. Because he is a coward and can't have an adult
conversation, he hides behind his cowardly killfile but continues to
throw stones over the top. ;-(

He accuses me of knowing little (especially about Linux) and I would
be the first to agree with him (compared with him and the other Linux
nerds) but I generally know enough about it to say the things I say ,
because I've generally experienced them myself.

However, the fact that I am (at least) installing and trying Linux
doesn't seem to count with him (and his kind), not because it is
rational but the complete opposite, it's because he doesn't have the
EQ to see why his actions are pathetic, infantile and
counterproductive to Linux in general.

But I don't blame him (or his kind) for any of it, after all, he /
they can't help it. ;-(

However, it would just be nice if they would stop all the personal
(and group) name calling and making up stories and telling lies
because it doesn't do their (or Linux) case any good.

What would be better (for Linux as I don't *really* care about them)
is if they actually helped people willing to give Linux a go ... but
again they often can't because they are so defensive of their one and
only hobby / lifestyle choice / religion.

The funny thing is how freely they will admit all Linuxes flaws to
each other. It's ok if you are in the club apparently ... (a club the
vast majority have no interest in joining). ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/04/2016 11:04, T i m wrote:

What would be better (for Linux as I don't *really* care about them)
is if they actually helped people willing to give Linux a go ... but
again they often can't because they are so defensive of their one and
only hobby / lifestyle choice / religion.

Everything you posted is exactly as I've found it.

From a personality characteristic perspective there seems to be a high
percentage of Linux "defenders" that exhibit significant traits of
Aspergers syndrome.

This honestly isn't meant as an attack of name-calling, labelling or
anything else just an observation that might help those on the receiving
end of insults and outbursts to understand why some folk act the way
they do, and why there is little point in carrying on an attempt to hold
a passive discussion to explain the difficulties (we've) come across
because those difficulties are not a reality to someone who can't accept
failings that fall outside their range of understanding.

When I started this thread I wasn't deliberately out to make waves, I
hadn't realised there had already been some friction on the subject, it
was a post of observation after 2 independent linux installs had failed
when I'd expected them to run on an 8 year old laptop and a 5 year old
desktop (which had been running Ubuntu desktop and Ubuntu server as VM's
for a number of years as an interest not an obsession)

What really IS interesting though is the comment shared the same
thoughts for 2 subjects yet the people posting in defence of their
beloved Landies amount to.... zero.
Yes I had one of those too but didn't have the time required to keep it
in good order as a daily means of transport. (Just like Linux)
Sorry, couldn't resist.

To anyone offended please add me to your "KillFile" both this user name
(or whatever it is you use) and the user name that comes up when I post
from work. These are the only profiles I've used for the last 5 or more
years.

The only people with problems they need to work through and come to
terms with are those that are offended by the words and actions of
others, it's easy to defend ones beliefs but much harder to forgive and
sympathise with others for their thoughts and actions because we don't
understand what they've been through or are going through in this life.

With that....
Peace, Love & Light to EVERYONE.
3 3 3 (that's 3 x hearts)

Pete

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/04/16 12:48, Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬) wrote:
When I started this thread I wasn't deliberately out to make waves,

Rubbish.

You are a troll pure and simple.

Josef Stalin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

escribió:

And its been in situ upgrades for at least the last three releases.

just goes to show how much D i m knows, i.e. the square root of ****
all.

'How much this 'admin user' knows about Linux or how much Linux
changes between releases and based on the information he gleans from
the odd experiment and the online information' you mean?

https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2

Once again this is a good demonstration of just how sad this 'Mike'
character is. Because he is a coward and can't have an adult
conversation, he hides behind his cowardly killfile but continues to
throw stones over the top. ;-(

Of course you never do anything like that yourself.

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 2 Apr 2016 12:48:51 +0100, Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)
wrote:

On 02/04/2016 11:04, T i m wrote:

What would be better (for Linux as I don't *really* care about them)
is if they actually helped people willing to give Linux a go ... but
again they often can't because they are so defensive of their one and
only hobby / lifestyle choice / religion.

Everything you posted is exactly as I've found it.

Of course g, it's generally as 'most ordinary people' find it when
they try to deal with a fanatic or obsessive on any subject. Some
people go as far as blowing innocent people up because they are so
moved by their crusade or cause. ;-(

And 'of course' we all know that people who are 'interested in
computers' are 'geeks' as I've been one (apparently) most of my life
.... and again, compared to 'most people' (especially then) I was
(/am). However, whilst it has been an interest / hobby and even a
career (in IT support and IT training) and I have spent more time that
I'd dare to consider, 'playing' with 'computers' (and other IT /
Datacomms related equipment) it has only ever been *an interest*, not
an obsession. In fact, whilst the subject has dominated much of my
life - timewise, I haven't gone into or 'studied' the subject as much
as I have some other things ... because I'm generally not the sort of
person who *does* 'study' stuff, I just 'play' with loads and loads of
different things and generally learn what I need / do whilst I'm
there.

From a personality characteristic perspective there seems to be a high
percentage of Linux "defenders" that exhibit significant traits of
Aspergers syndrome.

Yes, I'm sure you are right, or 'computing' in general. I think the
condition suits computing, especially programming because as I
understand it (from the various TV programs there have been on it more
recently [1]), the whole 'obsessive' attention to detail and eidetic
memory thing really fits. That's why I've never been *interested* in
programming and what little I've done has been (mainly) out of need.

This honestly isn't meant as an attack of name-calling, labelling or
anything else just an observation that might help those on the receiving
end of insults and outbursts to understand why some folk act the way
they do,

I know ... and I've had to bite my tongue with some because I keep
that thought in the back of my mind. The confusing thing is that these
people are generally very intelligent and so often can and do,
especially via the terminal, come across as ordinary folk.

and why there is little point in carrying on an attempt to hold
a passive discussion to explain the difficulties (we've) come across
because those difficulties are not a reality to someone who can't accept
failings that fall outside their range of understanding.

No, that (I understand) is where it all goes wrong. And it works both
ways of course when we (those who may be just lower down the spectrum
g) also can't understand why they are coming out with stuff that
they have no way of substantiating ... and no 'reasoning' (justifying
your position with quantifiable and duplicate fact) seems to have any
affect. We are simply 'talking heads' in their world, just a noise to
be ignored.

When I started this thread I wasn't deliberately out to make waves, I
hadn't realised there had already been some friction on the subject,

Wherever there are posts concerning OS's, lubricants, tyres, politics
or religion, 'some people' are likely to get excited / emotive over
it. ;-(

it
was a post of observation after 2 independent linux installs had failed
when I'd expected them to run on an 8 year old laptop and a 5 year old
desktop (which had been running Ubuntu desktop and Ubuntu server as VM's
for a number of years as an interest not an obsession)

I have probably done many tens on Linux installs over nearly as many
desktops and laptops and have had as many hours of tears and
frustration. When I first did so (with early versions of SuSE etc) I
*might* get a working desktop but no sound or networking etc.
Subsequent dabbles with various disros (from the front of PC magazines
and the like) have sporadically seen some improvements but my interest
(and patience) re the whole subject is pretty low so I never put much
effort into trying any harder. My 'interest' was for my own fun and
amusement, just for S&G's, not because I was actually looking for an
alternative OS solution. The option of one is nice of course (I have
OSX a reboot away on this Mac Mini and Android on tablets and phones)
but it was and never has been 'important'. This 'fact' has been
another big issue for the sort of people you mention because as you
say, they are unable to understand (and therefore accept) how and why
anyone wouldn't be interested (or able) to apply the same effort and
attention to the subject as they do. I've had that actually said to me
in the guise of 'help' ... 'just go and learn all about Linux like I
did ...' ! ;-(

What really IS interesting though is the comment shared the same
thoughts for 2 subjects yet the people posting in defence of their
beloved Landies amount to.... zero.

Because Landrovers don't necessarily attract the same sort of people
as OS's possibly? That said, I did an offroad circuit (in Abingdon I
think) and there was a sign at the gate that said 'No Freelanders'.
I'm pretty sure it was just an 'in joke' as there were some going
round and loads of other questionable vehicles as well. ;-)

Yes I had one of those too but didn't have the time required to keep it
in good order as a daily means of transport. (Just like Linux)
Sorry, couldn't resist.

I think that would be more fair re the older Landies and the older
Linux distros. I installed Ubuntu MATE 15.10 onto a USB pen drive
earlier and it booted quickly and ran perfectly (I didn't have time to
go much further). How long it would stay like that or how practical it
would be in use (compared to alternatives) is another matter. (Like
the mate who always wanted a Landrover, bought one, had it a month
then sold it because it was, well, 'an old Landrover' (slow, noisy,
thirsty, unreliable and uncomfortable)). ;-)

To anyone offended please add me to your "KillFile" both this user name
(or whatever it is you use) and the user name that comes up when I post
from work. These are the only profiles I've used for the last 5 or more
years.

Yes, I'm perfectly happy with those who feel the need of doing so but
they also really should use it properly, not just hide behind it like
some coward behind a wall but still throwing stones. (Funnily enough,
the first time I came across killfiles was on a Linux n/g and some of
those people bandy it about like it was some qualification to their
prowess or membership validity in their particular club. I can't
remember ever killfiling anyone because I'm not paranoid, arrogant or
care, enough ... plus I try to give everyone the chance to see the
error of their ways. ;-) It's difficult for them of course ... if
they are seen fraternising with the enemy they could get thrown out
themselves (and I've seen that in action enough times to know it to be
a fact). It makes sense (to them) of course, as it does to the members
of any minority, especially one who feels persecuted, even if they are
bringing such persecution on themselves. ;-(

The only people with problems they need to work through and come to
terms with are those that are offended by the words and actions of
others, it's easy to defend ones beliefs but much harder to forgive and
sympathise with others for their thoughts and actions because we don't
understand what they've been through or are going through in this life.

Quite. I'm all for 'turn the other cheek', especially with those where
it is obvious (albeit not always straight away) that they are tortured
souls (assuming they are aware of what they are etc). ;-(

With that....
Peace, Love & Light to EVERYONE.
3 3 3 (that's 3 x hearts)

Quite and you Pete. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

[1] I bet many of the people we are talking about don't have TV's ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 3 Apr 2016 03:53:08 +1000, "Thomas Johns"
wrote:

.. .

escribió:

And its been in situ upgrades for at least the last three releases.

just goes to show how much D i m knows, i.e. the square root of ****
all.

'How much this 'admin user' knows about Linux or how much Linux
changes between releases and based on the information he gleans from
the odd experiment and the online information' you mean?

https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2

Once again this is a good demonstration of just how sad this 'Mike'
character is. Because he is a coward and can't have an adult
conversation, he hides behind his cowardly killfile but continues to
throw stones over the top. ;-(

Of course you never do anything like that yourself.

Nope. Please cite examples if you disagree.

I can't have because I've never killfiled anyone and I'll always give
people the benefit of doubt, even if their motives aren't clear.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 3 Apr 2016 06:21:55 +1000, "Thomas Johns"
wrote:

.. .

escribió:

[...]

Prove it or STFU.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"T i m" wrote in message
On Sun, 3 Apr 2016 06:21:55 +1000, "Thomas Johns"
wrote:

"T i m" wrote in message
. ..
On Sun, 3 Apr 2016 03:53:08 +1000, "Thomas Johns"
wrote:

"T i m" wrote in message
m...
On Sat, 2 Apr 2016 10:00:39 +0100, Mike Tomlinson
wrote:

En el artículo , The Natural
Philosopher
escribió:

[...]

You just did in the thread about where to put the tyres with the best tread.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"T i m" wrote in message
On Sat, 2 Apr 2016 10:00:39 +0100, Mike Tomlinson

wrote:

En el artÃ*culo , The Natural
Philosopher

****
[...]

Of course if you pick a two year old article, and pretend i
its current you can 'win the argument'.

Until you look at the latest information

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2871

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"T i m" wrote in message
On Sat, 2 Apr 2016 10:00:39 +0100, Mike Tomlinson
wrote:

En el artículo , The Natural
Philosopher
escribió:

[...]

**** off Wodney.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 02 Apr 2016 23:21:48 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

snip

It's amazing what you can see from behind that firewall eh?

Of course if you pick a two year old article,

That was updated 3 months ago ...

and pretend i its current

I did no such thing.

you can 'win the argument'.

There was no argument, it was an observation / request for confirmation.
Also, if you aren't in a battle there is no winning or losing.

Until you look at the latest information

Or actually try it yourself, as I did earlier with this Mint 17.3 that I
upgraded in-situ from 17.2.

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2871

Yes, I'd stumbled on what to do (and did it) before seeing your *reply*
to *me* here.

If you let the red mist settle for a second and actually read any of what
I've written about Mint and (in-situ) upgrades was just stating that *if*
it wasn't available at all, or wasn't available via a simple GUI option
then I wouldn't consider it something that ordinary users would make use
of (and so I couldn't really recommend it to people).

FWIW I've probably used Mint (and the two people I've installed Linux for
who are actually running it as a std desktop) are both running Mint (LTS),
But it seems I can (happily) now tick the box back on Mint because it
*now* does something I consider important (to ordinary users, nearly) as
easily as it happens in Ubuntu.

The problem though is the two people who are currently running Mint (that
*I* introduced to and installed for) aren't running versions that I
understand offer the in-situ upgrade.

Once again I would *love* to be informed differently.

We just need the updates to apply automatically as you shut the PC down
and we will be cooking on gas! ;-)

Cheers, T i m

p.s. This Mint 17.3 Cinnamon (32 bit) is running pretty quickly on a 16G
SSD in a USB3 caddy in a USB2 port on a fairly low spec Intel 1.8G Core 2.

p.p.s I managed to install Repetier Host on this Mint (it looks like it's
running under WINE, along with Teamviewer) and it seems like Sketchup 16
is going to be a no no. I'm not sure what else there is that could
replace it on Linux (if anything)?

So, it looks like I'll just have to do what you do and also run
Windows. ;-)

http://forums.sketchup.com/t/request-for-linux/8027/21

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"www.GymRatZ.co.uk