Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Storm Katie

SWMBOs greenhouse destroyed, two fence panels down.

Not as bad as the neighbours, 30 ft brick wall 6 ft high - flattened!

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , David Lang
writes
SWMBOs greenhouse destroyed, two fence panels down.

Not as bad as the neighbours, 30 ft brick wall 6 ft high - flattened!

Nothing much here. Herts. few twigs scattered, river full and a slate
off the barn.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/03/16 10:47, David Lang wrote:
SWMBOs greenhouse destroyed, two fence panels down.

Not as bad as the neighbours, 30 ft brick wall 6 ft high - flattened!

Fences are good (concrete slotted posts) and roofs seem OK.

However, the lid of my recycling bin has totally vanished... It's a mystery.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/03/16 11:03, Tim Watts wrote:
On 28/03/16 10:47, David Lang wrote:
SWMBOs greenhouse destroyed, two fence panels down.

Not as bad as the neighbours, 30 ft brick wall 6 ft high - flattened!

Fences are good (concrete slotted posts) and roofs seem OK.

However, the lid of my recycling bin has totally vanished... It's a
mystery.

"A Good day to steal recycling bin lids"

...I'd spend it on drink.

Sir Henry (at Rawlinson's End)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/03/2016 10:47, David Lang wrote:
SWMBOs greenhouse destroyed, two fence panels down.

Not as bad as the neighbours, 30 ft brick wall 6 ft high - flattened!

Next door neighbour left his green house door open and one side is now
lacking some glass which can be found in the garden of the neighbour
further down.

I've lost the lawnmower cover and all of the garden waste/
pruning/clippings that I piled at the bottom of the garden is now at the
other end of the garden.

The the 6x6ft fence panels around a commercial property close by have
bent in half - all 3 horizontal rails have snapped at the 3 ft point on
3 panels. The concrete posts remain intact.

Surprisingly little damage considering the strength of the wind at times
last night

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:

David Lang writes:

SWMBOs greenhouse destroyed, two fence panels down.
Not as bad as the neighbours, 30 ft brick wall 6 ft high - flattened!

Nothing much here. Herts.

It rained a bit, Leics.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/03/2016 10:47, David Lang wrote:
SWMBOs greenhouse destroyed, two fence panels down.

Not as bad as the neighbours, 30 ft brick wall 6 ft high - flattened!

Two 6' panel fences destroyed. Sadly both separate me from two separate
neighbours, both sets of fences with ambiguous ownership :-(.

Local Bentley + JLR dealer had a 200' run of 6' lapped fencing done only
last year, with concrete posts, 10' arris rails and overlapped stuff.
Backing onto a stream with very sandy, silty subsoil, many of the
concrete posts have been tilted about 15% off vertical.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/03/16 11:03, Tim Watts wrote:
On 28/03/16 10:47, David Lang wrote:
SWMBOs greenhouse destroyed, two fence panels down.

Not as bad as the neighbours, 30 ft brick wall 6 ft high - flattened!

Fences are good (concrete slotted posts) and roofs seem OK.

However, the lid of my recycling bin has totally vanished... It's a
mystery.

"A Good day to steal recycling bin lids"

Where I live the side-lift bin-lorry is the most accomplished thief of
hinged-attached wheelie bin lids.

Katie last seen heading for Suffolk.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 28 March 2016 10:47:30 UTC+1, David Lang wrote:
SWMBOs greenhouse destroyed, two fence panels down.

Not as bad as the neighbours, 30 ft brick wall 6 ft high - flattened!

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman

Couple of inches of rain.
Slightly windy.
W. Midlands
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/03/16 15:56, Andrew wrote:
On 28/03/16 11:03, Tim Watts wrote:
On 28/03/16 10:47, David Lang wrote:
SWMBOs greenhouse destroyed, two fence panels down.

Not as bad as the neighbours, 30 ft brick wall 6 ft high - flattened!

Fences are good (concrete slotted posts) and roofs seem OK.

However, the lid of my recycling bin has totally vanished... It's a
mystery.

"A Good day to steal recycling bin lids"

Where I live the side-lift bin-lorry is the most accomplished thief of
hinged-attached wheelie bin lids.

Katie last seen heading for Suffolk.

she's bin and gon!

its shoes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew wrote:
Two 6' panel fences destroyed. Sadly both separate me from two separate
neighbours, both sets of fences with ambiguous ownership :-(.

Should be shown on the deeds to your house which side is yours. Round here
it is the right hand one looking at the front of the house.

--
*Middle age is when work is a lot less fun - and fun a lot more work.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew wrote:
Two 6' panel fences destroyed. Sadly both separate me from two separate
neighbours, both sets of fences with ambiguous ownership :-(.

Should be shown on the deeds to your house which side is yours. Round here
it is the right hand one looking at the front of the house.

Brick wall flat in our local park. Mind you, single brick with double
brick piers, and not enough of them. One imagines there are regs if your
garden wall backs on to a public footpath. Could have been nasty
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 28 March 2016 10:47:30 UTC+1, David Lang wrote:
SWMBOs greenhouse destroyed, two fence panels down.
Not as bad as the neighbours, 30 ft brick wall 6 ft high - flattened!

Lovely sunny day. Slight breeze. Nice day for a washing.

Walked to Thorntons and got a £25 Easter egg for £6.

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew wrote:
Two 6' panel fences destroyed. Sadly both separate me from two separate
neighbours, both sets of fences with ambiguous ownership :-(.

Should be shown on the deeds to your house which side is yours...

My deeds say I am responsible for the boundary on every side of my site.
The deeds of each of my neighbours say they are responsible for the
boundaries on every side of their sites.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry a écrit :
On Monday, 28 March 2016 10:47:30 UTC+1, David Lang wrote:
SWMBOs greenhouse destroyed, two fence panels down.

Not as bad as the neighbours, 30 ft brick wall 6 ft high - flattened!

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman

Couple of inches of rain.
Slightly windy.
W. Midlands

4mm upto midnight + 20mm of rain after + maybe another 6mm during the
day, slightly windy here in the extreme east of w. yorks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
Walked to Thorntons and got a £25 Easter egg for £6.

Still probably three times what it's worth. Even in Lidl, the packaging
weighs more than the egg. Notice they don't give the price per gram of the
chocolate. ;-)

--
*Preserve wildlife - Go pickle a squirrel*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 29 March 2016 00:11:42 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Walked to Thorntons and got a £25 Easter egg for £6.

Still probably three times what it's worth.

Easter egg £6, woman chomping chocolate and not bending my lug'ole priceless :-)

Even in Lidl, the packaging
weighs more than the egg. Notice they don't give the price per gram of the
chocolate. ;-)

That's always been the case.

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/03/2016 19:27, Nightjar cpb wrote:

My deeds say I am responsible for the boundary on every side of my site.
The deeds of each of my neighbours say they are responsible for the
boundaries on every side of their sites.

Do you have (or did the property have previously) “party fence walls” -
ie walls astride the boundary lines?

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew wrote:
Two 6' panel fences destroyed. Sadly both separate me from two separate
neighbours, both sets of fences with ambiguous ownership :-(.

Should be shown on the deeds to your house which side is yours. Round here
it is the right hand one looking at the front of the house.

It does. Bottom of garden shows as mine, but LR shows a double fence
with a 5 foot pathway extending the length of 20 houses. This footpath
and one of the fences is missing. The original builder ?didn't think it
was necessary, so saved themselves the cost of a run of panels, so the
right-to-buy owners of the ex-LA properties on the other side also see
it as 'theirs'. Result - most of the pure-private houses just maintain
it themselves.

2nd fence is to the right as I look out of back door, and originally had
2x6' panels next to the house then 3' chainlink as far as the bottom
fence. New FTB neighbours decided to replace (my) chainlink with cheap
6' panels without asking about boundary ownership !. New run of 6 panels
are fixed into metposts that were whipping back and forth like dahlias
on a windy day. Of the 6, 4 are upside down, and 2 of them are also
back-to-front and one is 'attached' to my fence post. When I say
attached, they used screws that only went half an inch into the post, so
that panel is now flat on the ground, where I suspect it will stay until
I do something about it. The FTB neighbours only bought it cheap as a
doer-upper and have made £60K profit and effed off.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
On Tuesday, 29 March 2016 00:11:42 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Walked to Thorntons and got a £25 Easter egg for £6.

Still probably three times what it's worth.

Easter egg £6, woman chomping chocolate and not bending my lug'ole
priceless :-)

True. But did you tell her you got it cheap? ;-)

--
*My luck is so bad that if I bought a cemetery, people would stop dying.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 29 March 2016 11:07:56 UTC+1, Andrew wrote:
Was it an 'Easter' egg or just a 'Chocolate' egg ?. Easter seems to have
been deleted by all the main egg makers.

I don't care about the Easter bit, but it better be real chocolate and not 'chocolate'

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 29 March 2016 11:13:14 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Easter egg £6, woman chomping chocolate and not bending my lug'ole
priceless :-)

True. But did you tell her you got it cheap? ;-)

She knows me well enough. :-)

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 29 Mar 2016 03:19:08 -0700, spuorgelgoog wrote:

On Tuesday, 29 March 2016 11:07:56 UTC+1, Andrew wrote:
Was it an 'Easter' egg or just a 'Chocolate' egg ?. Easter seems to
have been deleted by all the main egg makers.

I don't care about the Easter bit, but it better be real chocolate and
not 'chocolate'

SWMBO bought me a real chocolate egg. I didn't realise how high the cocoa
content was until I'd eaten too much.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 28 Mar 2016 08:00:04 -0700 (PDT), harry wrote:

SWMBOs greenhouse destroyed, two fence panels down.

Not as bad as the neighbours, 30 ft brick wall 6 ft high -

flattened!

Just shows it hardly ever gets properly windy where ever the above
is.

Couple of inches of rain.

Occasional light shower.

Slightly windy.

What wind?

W. Midlands

North Pennines, exposed and at, 1400'. Same down the M6 and in
Preston, afternoon in Preston was bright and sunny.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew wrote:
2nd fence is to the right as I look out of back door, and originally had
2x6' panels next to the house then 3' chainlink as far as the bottom
fence. New FTB neighbours decided to replace (my) chainlink with cheap
6' panels without asking about boundary ownership !.

You should have stamped on that and quickly. Unless on their side of the
border - or with your agreement.

New run of 6 panels
are fixed into metposts that were whipping back and forth like dahlias
on a windy day. Of the 6, 4 are upside down, and 2 of them are also
back-to-front and one is 'attached' to my fence post. When I say
attached, they used screws that only went half an inch into the post, so
that panel is now flat on the ground, where I suspect it will stay until
I do something about it. The FTB neighbours only bought it cheap as a
doer-upper and have made £60K profit and effed off.

Never quite understood the like for high fences all round a small garden.
Different, perhaps very close to the house. They make the garden seem even
smaller. ;-)

--
*When a clock is hungry it goes back four seconds*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/03/2016 14:22, michael adams wrote:

The more Easter loses any real meaning, the more chance there is of flogging
chocolate eggs all year round; or at least until this years stocks are exhausted.

Hot cross buns are already year-round.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew wrote:
[...]

And better for burglars. I have nothing but a hedge, kept low enough
that you can see over it. I feel more secure than if I had a 6' fence.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
michael adams wrote:
Was it an 'Easter' egg or just a 'Chocolate' egg ?. Easter seems to
have been deleted by all the main egg makers.

Too Pagan by far.

Might upset the Christians...

Or there again, maybe the penny eventually dropped that it's bad business
to put a name on something perishable such as chocolate eggs which
would immediately render them unsaleable, at full price at least, after
a specific date.

Which is exactly what happens.

--
*Cleaned by Stevie Wonder, checked by David Blunkett*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/03/2016 10:25, Robin wrote:
On 28/03/2016 19:27, Nightjar cpb wrote:

My deeds say I am responsible for the boundary on every side of my site.
The deeds of each of my neighbours say they are responsible for the
boundaries on every side of their sites.

Do you have (or did the property have previously) “party fence walls” -
ie walls astride the boundary lines?

The only known boundary feature remaining since 1931 was one wire mesh
fence on concrete pillars. That had the pillars on my side and it was
when I replaced that that my neighbour informed me that her deeds said
it was hers. I suspect it is simply that the original deeds were badly
drafted.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

F news@nowhere wrote
michael adams wrote

The more Easter loses any real meaning, the more chance there is of
flogging
chocolate eggs all year round; or at least until this years stocks are
exhausted.

Hot cross buns are already year-round.

And fruit mince pies now that someone has worked out
how to get them to last a lot more than just a couple of
months after manufacturer like they did at one time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
Andrew wrote:
Two 6' panel fences destroyed. Sadly both separate me from two separate
neighbours, both sets of fences with ambiguous ownership :-(.

Should be shown on the deeds to your house which side is yours. Round here
it is the right hand one looking at the front of the house.

Same here. Most people seem to assume that every fence is shared.
--
bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote:
Two 6' panel fences destroyed. Sadly both separate me from two separate
neighbours, both sets of fences with ambiguous ownership :-(.

Should be shown on the deeds to your house which side is yours. Round
here
it is the right hand one looking at the front of the house.

Same here. Most people seem to assume that every fence is shared.

We're left with that assumption. The plans in our deeds have no Ts on
boundaries and the narrative is silent.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 28 March 2016 10:47:30 UTC+1, David Lang wrote:
SWMBOs greenhouse destroyed, two fence panels down.

Not as bad as the neighbours, 30 ft brick wall 6 ft high - flattened!

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman

My green wheelie bin got blown nearly a foot. :-0
black one seemed to stay put.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , F
writes
Andrew wrote:
Two 6' panel fences destroyed. Sadly both separate me from two separate
neighbours, both sets of fences with ambiguous ownership :-(.

Should be shown on the deeds to your house which side is yours. Round
here
it is the right hand one looking at the front of the house.

Same here. Most people seem to assume that every fence is shared.

We're left with that assumption. The plans in our deeds have no Ts on
boundaries and the narrative is silent.

Then that is the best compromise.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"bert" wrote in message
In article , F
writes
Andrew wrote:
Two 6' panel fences destroyed. Sadly both separate me from two
separate
neighbours, both sets of fences with ambiguous ownership :-(.

Should be shown on the deeds to your house which side is yours. Round
here
it is the right hand one looking at the front of the house.

Same here. Most people seem to assume that every fence is shared.

We're left with that assumption. The plans in our deeds have no Ts on
boundaries and the narrative is silent.

Then that is the best compromise.

I came out of a shared-boundary deal quite well: a neighbour on one side
assumed that she own that fence and paid for it when she wanted to replace
it; the neighbour on the other side assumed that that side was shared when
panels blew down in the wind so I only paid half for repairs to that side. I
forget which side the Ts were (and I forget which way to interpret them) but
as far as I remember, the two fences that bordered my garden both had T
marks so I definitely owned *one* of the two fences!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/03/2016 15:56, Andrew wrote:
Katie last seen heading for Suffolk.

She got lost.

We're a mile from Suffolk, and it wasn't anything special.

Andy

Katie Couric Todd Thorneberry Home Repair 1 July 28th 15 09:42 PM
OT.first Big Storm: sal[_2_] Woodworking 5 November 12th 12 06:39 PM
storm clean up Stormin Mormon Home Repair 13 August 28th 11 05:50 PM
OT The Storm Leon Woodworking 52 September 16th 08 03:12 AM
Bit of a storm coming The Natural Philosopher UK diy 6 March 8th 08 11:25 PM