Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Good quality drill bits

Some time ago a bought a box of JBG HSS Fully ground cobalt coated drill
bits. They have been very good apart from the poor design of the box
which has lead to some of the smaller bits breaking. A set of 19 bits
from 1mm to 10mm cost me £15.95

What I would like is a new set of the smaller bits in the range 1mm -
3mm for drilling steel and wood

Where or maybe what make of bits should I buy.

--
Michael Chare

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Michael Chare wrote:
Some time ago a bought a box of JBG HSS Fully ground cobalt coated drill
bits. They have been very good apart from the poor design of the box
which has lead to some of the smaller bits breaking. A set of 19 bits
from 1mm to 10mm cost me £15.95

What I would like is a new set of the smaller bits in the range 1mm -
3mm for drilling steel and wood

Where or maybe what make of bits should I buy.

Keep an eye on Lidl special offers. They do such a set in a nice steel
case. Last time they came up I bought a few sets. Usually on offer a few
times a year.

--
*Never put off until tomorrow what you can avoid altogether *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/03/2016 23:27, Michael Chare wrote:
Some time ago a bought a box of JBG HSS Fully ground cobalt coated drill
bits. They have been very good apart from the poor design of the box
which has lead to some of the smaller bits breaking. A set of 19 bits
from 1mm to 10mm cost me £15.95

What I would like is a new set of the smaller bits in the range 1mm -
3mm for drilling steel and wood

Where or maybe what make of bits should I buy.

I use Screwfix "jobber" drills. Packs of 10 IIRC
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, March 21, 2016 at 7:20:05 AM UTC, Stuart Noble wrote:
On 20/03/2016 23:27, Michael Chare wrote:
Some time ago a bought a box of JBG HSS Fully ground cobalt coated drill
bits. They have been very good apart from the poor design of the box
which has lead to some of the smaller bits breaking. A set of 19 bits
from 1mm to 10mm cost me £15.95

What I would like is a new set of the smaller bits in the range 1mm -
3mm for drilling steel and wood

Where or maybe what make of bits should I buy.

I use Screwfix "jobber" drills. Packs of 10 IIRC

Having bought a set of bits for steel and a set of lip and spur for wood many years ago I now just replace those that need replaced on an ad hoc basis.. Axminster sell packets of jobber drills in many sizes and I rarely need to replace the lip and spur ones.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 21 March 2016 07:20:05 UTC, Stuart Noble wrote:
On 20/03/2016 23:27, Michael Chare wrote:
Some time ago a bought a box of JBG HSS Fully ground cobalt coated drill
bits. They have been very good apart from the poor design of the box
which has lead to some of the smaller bits breaking. A set of 19 bits
from 1mm to 10mm cost me £15.95

What I would like is a new set of the smaller bits in the range 1mm -
3mm for drilling steel and wood

Where or maybe what make of bits should I buy.

I use Screwfix "jobber" drills. Packs of 10 IIRC

We got some toolsatan jobber packs recently, and found they only lasted a fraction as long as a better brand. Their cheap titaniums were also much outperformed by dremel HSS.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3/21/2016 8:57 AM, wrote:
On Monday, 21 March 2016 07:20:05 UTC, Stuart Noble wrote:
On 20/03/2016 23:27, Michael Chare wrote:
Some time ago a bought a box of JBG HSS Fully ground cobalt coated drill
bits. They have been very good apart from the poor design of the box
which has lead to some of the smaller bits breaking. A set of 19 bits
from 1mm to 10mm cost me £15.95

What I would like is a new set of the smaller bits in the range 1mm -
3mm for drilling steel and wood

Where or maybe what make of bits should I buy.

I use Screwfix "jobber" drills. Packs of 10 IIRC

We got some toolsatan jobber packs recently, and found they only lasted a fraction as long as a better brand. Their cheap titaniums were also much outperformed by dremel HSS.

NT

Toolsatan "cobalt" bits go down to 2 mm

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Powe...ll+Bits/sd1230

I havn't tried these ones, but "proper" cobalt bits (e.g. Bosch) are
very good indeed.

Prior to cobalt, the thing to look for on drill bits was HSS (high speed
steel), normally M50 in drills. Reputable firms like Axminster will have
these.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-speed_steel

For industrial use, drills, mills, and lathe inserts are coated with
Titanium Carbide by a vapour deposition process which improves life
considerably. However there are plenty of fake gold coloured coatings on
unbranded consumer drills which are exactly as effective as yellow paint
(and the drills won't be HSS).

Carbon steel drills are OK for wood (and will work on metal up to mild
steel *if used correctly*) but for practical purposes don't use anything
below HSS on metal.