Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default LEDs & Conventional Fluoros on same circuit?

HI Folks.
I've previously sung the praises of lightrabbit.co.uk / .ie for their
GU10 Led lamps, which have proved to me much more reliable than the
'cheapie' eBay bulbs in our shop lighting.

In my stained-glass lamps, I've been using CFL's - which work well.
Recently, I thought I'd try some of lightrabbit's B22 LED candle-bulbs.

All looked good in the workshop - two stained-glass lamps with B22 Leds
fitted.....
....until I turned off the 2ft fluorescent work-light - which was running
off the same 4-way extension lead - at which point both led bulbs
emitted a 'pop' and failed.

I contacted lightrabbit - and got this reply

"The reason that these lamps have failed is because they were powered by
an extension which was shared with fluorescent lighting. These would
have caused a spike in the current which would have damaged the drivers
withing the LED's causing them to fail.

I recommend not using CFLs on the same circuit as LEDs."

While I understand the physics behind it (inductive spike from the
fluoro choke and all that) - wouldn't you expect that the designers of
the led bulbs would add suitable filtering to their bulbs to prevent
them just blowing like that?

Any thoughts?
Thanks
Adrian